Alfa Romeo Forum banner

2501 - 2520 of 2522 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Took my 2000 GTV TS over to my local indie (Andy Blake - Northampton, friendly, knows what he doing, reasonable rates, honest) to get her up on his lift to inspect underneath. I’ve had it since last August, Vela blue, 41,000 miles. Spotless bodywork (almost), aftermarket exhaust sounds fantastic.
Anyway, had a good close look underneath and with big sighs of relief he says it’s in fantastic nick, hardly any corrosion. He showed me where the 916 usually goes, but just some very minor spots on mine. The only thing he picked up on was one bush on one dog-leg that had started going and getting close to rear sub-frame, and both spring-pans will need sorting in future, but doesn’t need doing straight away.
Do I go Powerflex for the dog-legs or OEM. Decisions, decisions.
Very pleased of Kettering😀
Would you mind sharing Andy Blake's details please? Mine is due a belt change and taking it to Londone, where I bought it from, is a long day out, thanks.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Fitted Monroe shocks, refurbed top mounts and Eibachs springs on the Spider along with a new wheel bearing, hub and refurbed hub carrier on the passenger side. I was going to do the driver’s side wheel bearing but couldn’t get hub nut off. Plan B I’ll be removing the drive shaft with the hub still attached and remove the outer CV joint and replace it.

Tomorrow... 330mm Brembos going on the GTV along with braided hoses.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Well, today didn’t quite go to plan...

I was going to swap a drive shaft as I’m getting a bit of noise on full lock. Undid all the bolts and realised that the drive shaft wasn’t coming out without removing the hub carrier (unless anyone knows better) so put it all back together and moved on to the next job.

Fitting Brembo callipers and 330mm discs along with braided hoses. All going well... discs fitted, callipers fitted, pads & pins in, new hoses fitted...

All that needed to be done was bleeding... calliper 1, bleed screw 1 all good, bleed screw 2 all good, calliper 2, bleed screw 1 all good and that just left the final bleed screw on the last calliper then wheels on and test drive. What could possibly go wrong? The thread stripped. So I took it all apart and refitted the old discs and a set of standard Twinnie callipers that I refurbed a while ago and new DS Performance pads. Quick test drive/bed in. At that point I decided to call it a day and put my tools away and apologise to the neighbours for any new words their kids learned today.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Nearly forgot... my refurbed calipers, not 4 pots with big discs but the look better than the old rusty ones.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What a good day today was, waltzed through the Mot just a mention of tyres age , so 2 new
Dunlop Sport RT2 max x on the way, but saw a few ANPR CAMS so I guess they saw me so I'll have to tax from 1st April as its sorned at the moment.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Gave them both a good wash, polish and wax...

·
Registered
22 Posts
After having the cam belt done earlier this week, we went for a 50mile round trip into the dales today. Found out my fuel gauge hasn't any correlation to the amount of fuel. 15 litres needle went up to ⅓, 20miles light was on. Another 15 litres , now have ¾ of a tank . Needle hardly moved for next 30 miles. Now sat trying to fix the cubby hole cover catches.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The orange fuel light comes on to tell you you have run out of fuel...... Its a popular misconception that it is to warn that you are running low.... 🍀

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
10 litres remaining when my orange light comes on.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mine came on when on m5 contraflow and the engine stopped, luckily I could drift onto an unused part of the motorway. Whilst relaxing and enjoying my breakdown experience, and working through possible solutions I was interrupted by something wearing a uniform and barking at me. Somewhat startled by its abrupt and harsh manifestation I studied it a while longer to try and identify it. I concluded that it was a mindless autonoman. I explained that it would seem that my car had broken down or ran out of fuel but quickly realised that any attempt to communicate with it was futile. It aggressively, rudely and relentlessly informed me that it was illegal to run out of fuel on motorway and therefore I qualified for a penalty notice and a fine. It continued to repeat the relevant legislation verbatum and added that if my car was still on the motorway in T minus 10 minutes it would towed away and impounded........ Luckily there was a human being working as a engineer on the contrafolw that overheard the mindless autonoman and my appeals for leniency and she offered to get some fuel for me......
I will never trust an Alfa fuel gauge again. 🍀

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm with armoore re the fuel light, warning of low fuel. Mines even been known to come on, say just before a destination and be off again on next start up. For some reason I've always thought (with petrol cars) that I'd probably have 30m on the reserve as I like to call it, although I've never fully tested that.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have also filled the tank right to the max and the guage stays at just under half full.... Next day it creeps up to full... 😁🍀 I put it down to lack daily use.....

·
Registered
728 Posts
As daily use goes, mine hardly gets used at all add to that it is parked up for six months over winter. I'd be inclined to investigate yours a little further, possibly at the tank end presumably there is a sender unit with connections you could access.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, today didn’t quite go to plan...

I was going to swap a drive shaft as I’m getting a bit of noise on full lock. Undid all the bolts and realised that the drive shaft wasn’t coming out without removing the hub carrier (unless anyone knows better) so put it all back together and moved on to the next job.

Fitting Brembo callipers and 330mm discs along with braided hoses. All going well... discs fitted, callipers fitted, pads & pins in, new hoses fitted...

View attachment 951921

All that needed to be done was bleeding... calliper 1, bleed screw 1 all good, bleed screw 2 all good, calliper 2, bleed screw 1 all good and that just left the final bleed screw on the last calliper then wheels on and test drive. What could possibly go wrong? The thread stripped. So I took it all apart and refitted the old discs and a set of standard Twinnie callipers that I refurbed a while ago and new DS Performance pads. Quick test drive/bed in. At that point I decided to call it a day and put my tools away and apologise to the neighbours for any new words their kids learned today.
I actually, really feel you on this.

The exact, almost scarily exact - apart from the fact I was replacing OE pads/discs with new lines - happened to me about a week ago. You have my sympathies. The nipple, on the last corner to bleed, elected to **** itself.

That was the final chapter in a debacle that included me having to run new copper lines to much of the back, as the damn thing was just made of rust.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Finished a refurb of my air box. Replaced the rusted out MAF bracket and mounting bracket with stainless items. Also managed to source the various missing rubber mountings and sort the bent mounting bracket that had clearly seen a few impacts from speed bumps. All mounted above a new undertray and properly secured. Thanks to Totally Alfa for sourcing the rubber mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mine came on when on m5 contraflow and the engine stopped, luckily I could drift onto an unused part of the motorway. Whilst relaxing and enjoying my breakdown experience, and working through possible solutions I was interrupted by something wearing a uniform and barking at me. Somewhat startled by its abrupt and harsh manifestation I studied it a while longer to try and identify it. I concluded that it was a mindless autonoman. I explained that it would seem that my car had broken down or ran out of fuel but quickly realised that any attempt to communicate with it was futile. It aggressively, rudely and relentlessly informed me that it was illegal to run out of fuel on motorway and therefore I qualified for a penalty notice and a fine. It continued to repeat the relevant legislation verbatum and added that if my car was still on the motorway in T minus 10 minutes it would towed away and impounded........ Luckily there was a human being working as a engineer on the contrafolw that overheard the mindless autonoman and my appeals for leniency and she offered to get some fuel for me......
I had a similar uniformed, educational experience once on the M6 going from London to Liverpool (many years ago but still remembered).
The day before the journey I had fitted a refurbished petrol tank on my motorcycle (Velocette 500), but half way up the M6 the welded seams of the tank split and leaked petrol over my leg and the large hot and air-cooled (now petrol-cooled) engine.
Thankfully I was near a services, so I raced in jumped off and tried to get to my tools and tilt the tank up to safety before my impersonation of a blazing fireball suddenly started. There was a very strong whiff of petrol in the air around me when a constable approached and tried to give me grief about tax, insurance, licence, where was I going etc, and persisted with his interrogation even though I ignored him (apart from telling him about the petrol leak of course) as I was desperately loosening the tank bolts.
A friendly biker who had seen the problem approached and offered to help, so then there were two industrious bikers ignoring the daft PC. He gave up after about five minutes as we were not paying him any attention and disappeared.

2501 - 2520 of 2522 Posts