Alfa Romeo Forum banner

2461 - 2480 of 2522 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is the year of the Spider rebuild, after stripping it down in 2018 and renovating parts in 2019, then last year was taken up with domestic decorating duties.
The burst of warm weather we had a couple of weeks ago has brought me out of hibernation and has allowed me to rebuild the rear subframe. Enough to get it fitted anyway, I'll put the hubs and suspension on when it's bolted in position.
The subframe was sandblasted, which left it very matt so I gave it a coat of 2k clearcoat to seal it. I zinc/nickel electroplated the nuts and bolts.
IMG_3556a.JPG IMG_3558a.JPG IMG_3557a.JPG

·
Registered
53 Posts
Took it for an MOT, passed!! Only a couple of minor defects. "Nearside and Offside front lower suspension component ball joint dust covers severely deteriorated"
Could someone point me to which parts these are please. If it's only a case of undo/replace/reconnect I might look at doing it myself.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Took it for an MOT, passed!! Only a couple of minor defects. "Nearside and Offside front lower suspension component ball joint dust covers severely deteriorated"
Could someone point me to which parts these are please. If it's only a case of undo/replace/reconnect I might look at doing it myself.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Had four Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres fitted. Surprisingly Kwik-Fit were cheaper than Black circles etc. and they even fitted them on my drive for the same price.
The fitter was a good lad and looked over the suspension and other bits with me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ditched the pre-last part of the silencer and replaced the last one with OEM that was not shot, ofc with pipe work to the center one. Also replaced all of the brake hoses, definitely better feeling than it was on the brake pedal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Would have preferred a pass but happy with just needing a couple of brake lines...

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Not sure but the garage said they would replace them and the one that was an advisory for £150 so I’m letting them crack on.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Would have preferred a pass but happy with just needing a couple of brake lines...

View attachment 950794
I have had the brake pipe advisories for a number of years, not yet reached the fail category. They are annoying me now, may get them done before the next MOT. I gather it is generally a fairly routine job and not too expensive as long as everything comes off easily?( that’s the bit that worries me :))

·
Registered
722 Posts
Replaced cambelt on the V6 GTV. Fairly routine, aside from discovering helicoiled bolt hole on cylinder 6 inlet cam cap that will need re-doing. Even with this, it was a walk in the park compared with replacing the front brake pads...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Now the weather is a bit warmer, the rebuild is gathering momentum, and the rear subframe is now on the car along with the suspension, hubs and brakes. All nuts have been torqued up except for the rear alignment adjuster fixings. I will torque these up when the car is settled on its wheels as the rubber insert inside the ends is fixed and any tightening now will lead to a permanent twist in the rubber when the suspension has settled on the road.
IMG_3585a.JPG IMG_3586a.JPG

·
Registered
28 Posts
Now the weather is a bit warmer, the rebuild is gathering momentum, and the rear subframe is now on the car along with the suspension, hubs and brakes. All nuts have been torqued up except for the rear alignment adjuster fixings. I will torque these up when the car is settled on its wheels as the rubber insert inside the ends is fixed and any tightening now will lead to a permanent twist in the rubber when the suspension has settled on the road.
View attachment 951083 View attachment 951084
HI Rod, did you buy new brackets that secure the various pipes etc or are they cleaned and treated ? Also are those arms with the ball joints on new items as I debating if to buy new ones and wondering what they are like to get hold of ?

2461 - 2480 of 2522 Posts