Alfa Romeo Forum banner

2321 - 2340 of 2402 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
386 Posts
Took it to its first MOT in a while and failed, mostly on imbalanced rear brake, imbalanced and weak handbrake, and perished brake hoses. Garage tried and failed to clear the airbag light so that was a major, but got it sorted with MES myself. Ordered up a full set of rubber hoses, rear discs and pads. Will do a check of rear calipers and regrease sliders adjust handbrake, and hopefully that will sort it.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The lights are good close but didn’t have the length of the beam on the road. Decided go back to stock lights see if there is a difference
Not sure what is causing that, mine are excellent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have spent the day getting quotes to sort out a blown head gasket. Quotes vary so much and not sure what it should be and oif lower quotes will do the job correctly. and recommendation for anywhere in Essex that would do a good job and not rip me off?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Fitted another track rod end, added a bit more bling to the engine bay and changed the indicator stalk for one with working self cancel... but now the horn is permanently on so I’ve disconnected the battery and will look in the morning.

·
Registered
285 Posts
... finally got around to ordering a brake piston winding tool (set) ... hacked about sockets and Heath Robinson-esque ways of winding in the rear caliper pistons finally got up me nose. Only taken 30 years ...

Yes, overkill if only for the GTV, but others will pass through my hands over time. And a whole 20€ / £18.23 including devilry, ex Amazon. Reviews seem fair so we will see tomorrow!

So not strictly "What have you DONE to your 916 today?", more "What did your 916 DO to YOU today?" (It drove me to buy a sensible tool!)

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
386 Posts
... finally got around to ordering a brake piston winding tool (set) ... hacked about sockets and Heath Robinson-esque ways of winding in the rear caliper pistons finally got up me nose. Only taken 30 years ...

View attachment 946143

Yes, overkill if only for the GTV, but others will pass through my hands over time. And a whole 20€ / £18.23 including devilry, ex Amazon. Reviews seem fair so we will see tomorrow!

So not strictly "What have you DONE to your 916 today?", more "What did your 916 DO to YOU today?" (It drove me to buy a sensible tool!)
I got one for the Mito and have used it about 5 times since, well worth the outlay. I will be using them again tomorrow for the GTV, after I found the previous owner had worn through a rear inner pad... all the way to the metal backing... and then 2mm through the metal backing and 2mm into the disc. The noise it made was minimal, like a rusty disc! No wonder it failed the MOT on imbalanced brakes!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not sure what is causing that, mine are excellent.

CGC, What wattage are your HID'S? been toying with the idea of fitting some myself but don't know whether to go for 55w or 75w you know how it is will 55 be enough or will 75 be too much!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I’ve tried both HIDs and LED bulbs. Both seem very bright but don’t seem to light up the road as well as decent conventional bulbs. Nightbreakers are the best I’ve found so far. Plus no worrying about the legality of them.

Reactions: armoore

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
And back to my jobs on the GTV... sorted out a few electrical gremlins and decided to replace a blown bulb in one of the heater controls learning two valuable lessons; 1. Check your spare bulb actually works before taking half the dash apart and 2. There is a very good reason why people tell you to disconnect the battery beforehand playing with the electrics. For future reference the stereo is fuse no 17 rated at 20 amps.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
CGC, What wattage are your HID'S? been toying with the idea of fitting some myself but don't know whether to go for 55w or 75w you know how it is will 55 be enough or will 75 be too much!
55w will definitely be enough, I don't think 75w were even available when I bought mine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’ve tried both HIDs and LED bulbs. Both seem very bright but don’t seem to light up the road as well as decent conventional bulbs. Nightbreakers are the best I’ve found so far. Plus no worrying about the legality of them.
Agreed - I don’t think the ‘whiter’ bulbs don’t have the penetration that the lower temperatures do. Nightbreakers are decent; Philips RacingVisions are decent too.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Agreed - I don’t think the ‘whiter’ bulbs don’t have the penetration that the lower temperatures do. Nightbreakers are decent; Philips RacingVisions are decent too.
My HIDs are fantastic, best upgrade I've ever done, well up there with Alfaholics anti-roll bars and the Qualfie. Just an anonymous set off ebay, maybe I got lucky.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I’m running LEDs here, they’re alright in most instances. But it’s bloody dark around here!
Always good to fit LEDs in the fog lights before the reflectors burn out.

2321 - 2340 of 2402 Posts