Alfa Romeo Forum banner

2061 - 2080 of 2196 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
A wind deflector will make all the difference... one of them and the windows up and it is almost like having the hood up. I’ve been out with Mrs N in the Spider in the middle of winter with the hood down. The lack of turbulence also avoids complaints about messed up hair etc from the passenger side too. Just be aware that the rear window becomes very brittle at low temperatures. However they are easy to fix and I’m sure you’ll agree that my attempt at invisible mending was a total success.
View attachment 941798 View attachment 941799
Cheers fot that, wind break on its way... But Mrs phase 3 dude wants a car with roof on next time we go out..... I think I will add a travel blanket to the list to see if I can tempt her to try again🍀👍

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Removed the air cleaner housing metal support bracket. Cleaned to bare metal where necessary, kurust coat followed by red primer/undercoat and semi-gloss black paint. Now letting the paint really harden before re-assembling tomorrow. Rust wasn’t that bad, principally on edges and by bolt holes though there was some at the bottom in the reinforcing groove. It is a bit of a water trap although I’m not sure how water would get there easily.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Reassembled yesterday, glad I did as both my upper arms are aching from having the pneumonia and flu inoculations, one in each arm, yesterday evening.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Failed it's MOT on.....a steering gaitor. I hadn't noticed it but I'll settle for that. Sorted and now MOT'd. Needed a new rod end too but only as the old one got a bit mullered during removal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just picked mine up after a big bill but I knew it was kind of coming.
Fifth cambelt job I've had done on it this time 4 years in between.
Service.MOT.Brakes sorted but two very pricey exhaust parts in the back two boxes.
New radiator.
The bill came to £1400 but it's running like a new car and worth every penny.
Thanks to Michael at Bonello in Newcastle.
I'll be at the Italian car day in Ripon next weekend if anyone is there.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Replaced the boot seal on the Spider this morning. The boot now rests on the seal unless you apply pressure to close it.

That will hopefully solve the problem of the water ingress in the boot.

Next job is replacing the stowage bin lid when the new one arrives before getting onto the aircon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Replaced the rear exhaust hanger, started to swap the pedals for zender-a-like parts, but one has a dodgy rubber, so stopped that... Then I took the inlet pipes and air box apart, the maf clamps are an almost unrecognisable rusty blob, so that's going to be a pain, but have what I need to do it. Looking at the lower inlet, there is a suspicious amount of gaffer tape - which really isn't filling me with confidence. Might just put it all back together before I go too far and deal with it with her off the road for a few weeks.... Not a good day overall..

·
Registered
72 Posts

Today's experiement involved taking a flyer with my Teledials 🤠

1 - a reference photo of a Cup and a standard Teledial (not mine! Photo was pilfered off AlfaOwner).
2 and 3 - my DIY attempt to replicate the Cup effect (needs its glossy clearcoat still, but so far, I like it...). And no, it's not a "chrome" paint :cool: .

Paul

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Got the GTV interior fans working and replaced a blown side light bulb then moved onto the Spider; indicator stalks replaced with one that has working self cancel and fitted a new steering wheel. A bit of an issue with the horn going off but all in all a good day’s work.

Reactions: Phase3dude

·
Registered
545 Posts
Today's experiement involved taking a flyer with my Teledials 🤠

1 - a reference photo of a Cup and a standard Teledial (not mine! Photo was pilfered off AlfaOwner).
2 and 3 - my DIY attempt to replicate the Cup effect (needs its glossy clearcoat still, but so far, I like it...). And no, it's not a "chrome" paint :cool: .

Paul
Very nice, what sort of paint did you use?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very nice, what sort of paint did you use?
'twas a "stainless steel effect" acrylic ... pukka s/steel in it and it seems to work. A coat of gloss clearcoat dulls the effect, but a satin clearcoat seems to preserve it. I'll see how longlasting it is (or is not!).

It's an experiment at this stage but I was pleasantly surprised at the result.

Paul

·
Registered
655 Posts
Fitted replacement puddle lights to both doors - both now work. Tick. Then tried to coax the aircon into life using some cans of topup gas - one sealant, one gas. I've never used these before, but to my amazement, the compressor fired up and the aircon blew ice cold - long enough for a 15 minute test drive, at least. I've no idea how long this will last as the condenser looks pretty second hand - but at least I now know the system is vaguely sound... result!

Reactions: Adrian_Bravo

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Fitted replacement puddle lights to both doors - both now work. Tick. Then tried to coax the aircon into life using some cans of topup gas - one sealant, one gas. I've never used these before, but to my amazement, the compressor fired up and the aircon blew ice cold - long enough for a 15 minute test drive, at least. I've no idea how long this will last as the condenser looks pretty second hand - but at least I now know the system is vaguely sound... result!
Wow... where did you get the gas and how much was it? Both of mine have aircon that doesn’t work. How easy is it to do? Thanks

·
Registered
655 Posts
Wow... where did you get the gas and how much was it? Both of mine have aircon that doesn’t work. How easy is it to do? Thanks
I bought a kit from these people: www.aircontopup.com for £53 (so about what you'd pay for an aircon recharge) - but purchased from eBay here. The kit comprised a can of sealant, a can of top up gas, and a pressure meter that doubles as the input hose for the gas. Watch the videos on the site to get an idea how the process works - it is pretty simple, and on my GTV the low pressure port to which the hose attaches is easily accessible on the firewall.

Caveat - this gas is not "official" R134a aircon gas but a "compatible hydrocarbon product" (the website is clear about this). So - what the impact of this will be I have no idea - but I figured that given my (original-looking) aircon kit on the GTV was not working and is probably knackered then I had little to lose. And at least I'd get the diagnostic pressure hose which might be useful on my other cars.

The kit comes with simple to follow instructions - I had zero pressure in my system, hence using the sealant followed by the topup gas. So far, the pressure is holding and the aircon is working - happy days!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
The kit comes with simple to follow instructions - I had zero pressure in my system, hence using the sealant followed by the topup gas. So far, the pressure is holding and the aircon is working - happy days!
Many thanks for all the info. Think I’ll give it a go.

Reactions: JeremyG

·
Registered
655 Posts
Spent a few minutes today restoring the colour of my faded rear speaker grilles. They'd faded to a rather fetching purple colour (or who knows, maybe they were painted that colour) - but a quick spray over with Plastikote matt black soon had them looking like new again. Another item ticked off the GTV to-do list!

2061 - 2080 of 2196 Posts