Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What have you done to your 159/Brera/Spider today?

742109 Views 10380 Replies 901 Participants Last post by  paul.o
Hi all,

This kind of thread works well on several other forums I use and often sparks some great discussions / ideas. Just post up what it is you've done and feel free to comment on others posts, but be nice :lol:

Today - tracking set to zero toe as recommended on here. Needed doing as it's taken the inside edges off the fronts.
10241 - 10260 of 10381 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I just had the timing belt replaced of my 159 TBI, driven around 400km, all normal, until yesterday morning, when starting the car it started really really late, but It did, I got check engine light right away, also VDC and hill holder not available warning, I drove home to read out the codes; P0335 Crankshaft position G28 and P1325 Engine ECM knock control malfunction.
Cleared the codes, they did came back when I started the car again…

Not really the codes you want to see when timing belt just got replaced, so I took of timing belt cover, measured marking points from camshafts, as far as I could see it looks normal, timing belt tension looks okay too.
I just replaced the battery and checked that is was fully charged, disconnected the battery for 20 minutes
I cleared the codes again, started the car again, all normal, no fault codes
To make sure I started the car 4 times again, revved it a bit and all normal.

Anyone any ideas?

· Registered
589 Posts
Hello, I just had the timing belt replaced of my 159 TBI, driven around 400km, all normal, until yesterday morning, when starting the car it started really really late, but It did, I got check engine light right away, also VDC and hill holder not available warning, I drove home to read out the codes; P0335 Crankshaft position G28 and P1325 Engine ECM knock control malfunction.

Not really the codes you want to see when timing belt just got replaced, so I took of timing belt cover, measured marking points from camshafts, as far as I could see it looks normal, timing belt tension looks okay too.
I just replaced the battery and checked that is was fully charged, disconnected the battery for 20 minutes

Anyone any ideas?
Sounds like either the battery is loose or on its way out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
589 Posts

Anyone any ideas?
Sounds like either the battery is loose or on its way out

· Registered
1,793 Posts
Got up at 6am for the run to Carlisle for a full service at Autolusso.

No start, flattish battery. Had to jump start it from the Panda and then worry about an EML all the way North. Turned out to be a low fuel pump pressure warning - no surprise after a couple of failed start attempts. Cleared it and all is good.

Full service including belts and pumps so it's good for the next few years. Health check didn't reveal anything unknown so the next job is exhaust from DPF backwards. I have the Q4 Y piece from a 3.2 but is needs minor surgery to remove an unwanted silencer and the ordered adaptor will have to go back as they supplied a piece of straight pipe instead of one with different sized ends. Hey ho.

Guy

· Registered
448 Posts
Mot today for my 2.4 Jtdm TI Q4 Sportwagon. Passed but advisory stating my rear exhausts are corroding and starting to blow but passed nevertheless! Guess the replacement parts will be expensive or difficult to get hold of?!

· Registered
47 Posts
Finally got around to changing the end of the gearbox linkage (M32). I bought the metal one that @Funky Diver recommended, difference is incredible. I do actually have a replacement OEM and it turns out that whilst the defective one has a plastic cup that appears to be cracked, the crack is actually meant to be there. It is actually the rubber around it which just becomes worn and fails to keep the plastic cup as tight as it should.

It is amazing what a difference the change has made, particularly when changing into 3rd.

· Registered
2007 Alfa Romeo 159 Sportswagon 2.2 JTS Lusso
73 Posts
Hi people, i have spare Oil and Air filter for 2008 159 SW 1.9JTDm Diesel if anyone wants it free of charge,these are brand new, i live in Maidstone, see pictures. Also i have 17" Yokohama tyre for which i paid over 100quid when i had an emergency tyre purchase, its pretty brand new, drove only about a month with it, would give away for around £50. Photos
Also, i still have same Alfa i mentioned above for sale for spares/repair if anyone might be interested. Its still running, just need some work done.
Ideally, if someone has enough time to take it apart, would probably make double.
I would do it myself, but my time is limited everyday.

· Registered
1,793 Posts
Exhaust. After 3 years of the MOT man saying that won't last another year it didn't. An unpatchable hole blown at the Y piece and, when I had a look at it, a crack in the pipe to one of the back boxes.
So, where do you get an exhaust centre section for a 2.4 Q4? Fortunately I had one in the garage together with a pair of Ulter stainless back boxes (thank you Brian) but it came off a 3.2 Sportwagon. Which has a central silencer and is a different length. Nothing that couldn't be sorted with a hacksaw and an adaptor pipe from a custom supplier on eBay for a very reasonable £22.50 considering it had to have one end stretched and the other shrunk.
The old exhaust was a right PITA to get off when I could only get the car 12 inches off the ground on ramps/axle stands, every joint was corroded together and cutting it off was the only solution. Fortunately the modified one went on in 40 minutes and should satisfy the MOT man next month.

10241 - 10260 of 10381 Posts