Alfa Romeo Forum banner

8661 - 8680 of 8700 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
We've all been there (far more with my old 156 V6 though tbh)....the joys of old(er) car ownership!

·
Registered
2010 159 2.0 JTDM SW
87 Posts
What have I done to my 159 today?

Does wanting to set the *** thing on fire count?
youve had a lot of bad luck but these things could happen to lots of cars, the positive thing to keep in mind is that not a lot of cars on the road look as good as yours 👍

·
Registered
40 Posts
There's that of course!

It's been a very expensive and near 'Alfa ending' month or two :(

4 tyres
All discs & pads
Complete rear sus change
Replacement bushes
Front top wishbones and lower bushes, possibly also a lower arm if I can't do the ball joint dust cover :(
New oil cooler, hoses and adaptors (just bought)
Abs fault, probably needing new sensors on the rear
New wiper linkage needed now
More welding needed,
New back boxes needed (prob gonna go for a delete)
Rear window regulator and possibly 2 more about to die...

Oh and my Aircon rad is now broken...

After all that is done and the MOT is sorted, I really need to get the cambelt changed as it's overdue, but it's just been one thing after another for months now.

I love the car, but it really is starting to make my 1996 Disco look like a reliable workhorse!

I might make a new thread called "What HAVEN'T you done to your Alfa recently?"!! 😣

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Yup, mine cost me loads last year. When the dmf was on its way out again, I bit the bullet and got a Giulietta.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Yup, mine cost me loads last year. When the dmf was on its way out again, I bit the bullet and got a Giulietta.
Are you happy with your QV Jim? Must be quite a step-up in performance terms.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Yeah the QV is lovely. It accelerates a lot quicker than the 159 but the 159 had loads of torque, so was a great cruiser.
Looks are great, everyone comments on how nice it is. It's nice to be back in a petrol and I like the TCT box. I won't be going back to manual or diesel again.
Black wouldn't be my first choice and I'd prefer tan leather, rather than the part leather / alcantara seats but that's me just being picky.
Took my mate to pick his new Giulia Veloce up on sat. Now that's a nice car, his second Giulia.

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Nice car Jim. I'm with you on the tan leather, but full leather does seem to be a rare thing in the Giulietta.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Replaced the MAP sensor. Ever since a burst and replaced the left side intercooler pipe she's just not had the get up and go she did before and getting max boost took more revs....I have looked (several times) for other air leaks but other than finding a very slight leak where the tube from the MAF joins the turbo (rubber had shrunk a little needing a few turns of the spanner to fully tighten the clip) I found nothing wrong and no fault lights/codes. So I thought I would try a new MAP sensor.....for a few reasons. Id seen a few that had similar issues online that had been sorted with a new MAP, it appeared to be the original 11 year old 158,000 mile one and a pattern one is only £12! I removed the old one to clean recently....and tested it as per a guide I found online....all good. So I replaced it anyway. Its like a new car!! Boost goes to the top of the dial far easier than before and more importantly the off idle roughness/hesitation/jerkiness that's been there since I bought the car (that I drive around through habit!) has completely gone. I can pull away on idle in second with no issues! I even put the old one back in to make sure....low boost/power again. So the lesson there is just because you have no fault codes and the part looks ok and test out as good it does not mean the part is fine!

·
Registered
7,440 Posts
Had the front and rear subframes treated for rust yesterday morning - surface corrosion (not seriously weakened) was listed as an advisory on the last MOT.
Got the place that does my MOTs to sort it, so should be okay for next year.

Reactions: pipolo71

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I got exactly that minor on mine last Jan.....going to Por 15 then paint over that before the next MOT....rear frame only in my case...no undertray so front is pretty much perfect....apart for the scrapes from being too low!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Well, not actually today but yesterday. And not actually done to the car yet. More in preparation for the next week or so.
I got the Brera front bumper back from the paint shop ready to nail onto the 159. Spent the day putting the freshly de-rusted and painted grilles back on it with cleaned up plastics and a new pair of foglights, wired up the parking sensors and reinstalled the pipework for the headlamp washers, including a new one way valve.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Next step is the work behind the scenes. The foam re-inforcements need reshaping to clear the parking sensors and the arch liners need modifying. I got a pair of slightly damaged Brera ones and have some replacement 159 ones to mix and match as profiles are slightly different. I had thought it'd just be a case of trimming the 159 ones to profile but there's more than one dimension difference between the parts so it'll be a case of carefully removing the sections from the front part of the Brera liner and riveting them onto the 159 liner then removing the excess once the Sikaflex has set.

8661 - 8680 of 8700 Posts