Alfa Romeo Forum banner

8401 - 8420 of 8475 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not all today, but the last week or two . . .

Following a taxi driver clouting the nearside rear wing/door in the winter, I got around to washing it the other week. Polished it and got most of the scratches out. Noticed the rear inner wing had been bent away from the outer by that taxi. So bent the outer metal back out-ish. Reshaped the inner metalwork to fit properly and sealed it. Blasted off some rust, primered and painted.

Noticed rear spring had snapped a coil and a bit up. So as the rear arms have bugged me for the time I've had the car, off they came - complete with rear hubs as the toe-adjusting bolt was seized in the bush on both sides - every other bolt came out nicely. Left the driveshafts in place by undoing the hub nut. Got the wheel bearings out to lighten the arms - that took some doing due to all the galvanic corrosion! Found the other side had a snapped spring too - this one just about hidden right in the bottom coil.

Cleaned them up for the colour coding - and one of them wasn't a Q4 spring! Decide on a set of Eibach ones. And new dampers.

Those bolts weren't shifting - tried a hint of induction heating but didn't want to ruin the bush. Ended up making a tool to fit snugly around the bolt head, missing all the pokey oput bits of metal and managed to press them out in the vice - its a BIG vice and I needed a long tube on the handle! I'd of been better with a press, but needs must. Then had to make another tool to pull one of the arms back into the right shape :)

Rear shocks - undid the obvious 4 bolts each side - then dismantled the boot to get access to those stiff nuts inside -that was fun requiring a step ladder as the back end of the car was rather high in the air on stands.

Aorted some rust appearing behind the paint (on every spot weld it looked like), painted, undersealed.

Arms, the pivot plates, brake back plates, ABS and brake hose supports all blasted (had to add extra lamps in the blasting cabinet, improve the outlet form the cyclonic separator to get the dust right out the shed door. (next door power washing her car, house and drive for two days was coincidental I think!) Epoxy painted the everything, then 3M underseal. Meanwhile rebuilt the rear calipers - the nearside handbrake has always been crap - discovered ti wasn't the calipers but the cable - the outer was broken in several places. So front seats out, centre console out, rear seat out (think the dealer had it out to get the CD changer cables through for the first owner as the clips were broken _ they still are, but the seat fits okay (and they didn't exactly know what they were doing with the rivnuts they used to install the changer - loose!), carpet up and the cables out and replaced with QH ones. Femine, err, lubrication products work well on the rubber bits :) Does cause odd question from the other half though as to why I had some . . .cheaper than the proper stuff!

Eibach springs had now turned up, then the Bilstein B4 dampers. Built them up and fitted to car. Reassembled the arms to pivot plates, the assembly to the car, the rear hubs (found the rear wheel bearing I bought ages ago when I though one was going - opened the box to find it's a rear FWD wheel bearing! - refitted the old one), back plates, driveshafts, discs, calipers.

Moved the car, carefully, no brakes! to get to the front - up in the air, work out how to get the front spring assembly out - upright top joint removed, upper arm swing right up, anti-roll bar link removed, track rod end removed from arm, hoses, ABS and brake wires removed form clips etc, hub-nut undone to get the upright far enough out and down - and out it came. Pinch bolt siezed - blowtorch applied to the aluminium fork/yoke and applied impact gun at high air pressure - took a couple of to and fros but it came out in a fountain of corrosion dust. Came off the shock with a few good taps with a brass drift and hammer. Reassembled with the new spring and dampers. Bolted back in, upright reassembled and back in the car.

Drivers side was now quicker as I knew what to do . . . assembly even better until I did the pinch bolt up . . . when the fork cracked . . bug ger! A it of interneting a call to Clover Breakers (good telephone number!) from seeing someone else on here get one at a reasonable price - he had one, sent me piccies that night, bought it, he sent it next day - should have been delivered thursday - except DHL delayed it in Leeds - still delayed Friday - wouldn't tell me why - nice man at Clover at to ring them - seems DHL were simply over loaded and busy - so why not put that on my tracking them Mr DHL?? Saturday morning get notification its out for delivery - stop 43 . . . let them know if I want it leaving in a safe place - so I did . . . and then it changed to Monday delivery!!! FFS . . .grrr! DHL are annoying me - every other courier, including Royal Mail, has managed to deliver to me on time all through this virus do-dar. I get the first delay, but the website flicking my to monday delivery just for asking for it to be left in my safe place!!

So I spent some time doing something else - Discovered Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner will clean 6 yrs of crap off horseshoe wheels rather well, and maybe 15yrs of crap off my Lancia wheels. Came back to it today to bleed the brakes as the pedal wasn't coming up last week . . . one of my newly resealed calipers was leaking - quick dismantle and a twisted seal in the handbrake bit - sorted and back on. And still no pedal. Leave the pressure bleeder on and the pedal was good, take it off and it simply went to the floor. More bleeding, engine on or off, made no difference. Attached code reader to see if the ABS pump needed actuating, but nothing found. Finally spotted a bleed nipple on the master cyclinder - and one at the back. To get to the back one, the wipers have to come off (required a puller on one to get it off) to get the scuttle trim off to be able to lift the air con pipes enough to get a 1/4 drive ratchet on the back nipple (once I'd prised off the cover -no cover on the front on that you can just about get to with the pipes in place) - of course I could undo it, but then struggle to get it done up . . lots of fluid on the floor . . . pedal seemed better. Got the other half in on the pedal and did it all again, and all round the calipers. I'd not dared see if the pedal is solid yet - took her word for it. Adjusted the hand brake.

Getting a warning of no ABS, no VDC and no hill hold - so I'm guessing I bust an ABS sensor somewhere - although the code reader isn't telling me anything.

Fingers crossed, the front fork/yoke turns up tomorrow so I can reassemble the drivers side front after work . . .

So basically, I'm not going to wash or polish it again, as until I did that, it was working fine!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Hi
They come in a set of 8 and they have different colours too. If you do just the slam panel 1 set is enough
I did the wings (2 sets)too apart from the very last bolt each side near the bonnet hinges as the space to undo them is very little without taking the bonnet off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Mate, dirt cheap aswell??

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Has bricol won the trophy for longest ever post?
Or does it still belong to Sizewell?

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Lol...who knows....but just like Sizewells posts the length put me of before I even started....(a phrase in fact also uttered by many an ex girlfriend!) ....so as with nearly everything Sizewell wrote...I never read it. I have no doubt though that whatever it was about was very informative....unlike Sizewells by and large!. In fact I'm so sure I would have liked it I'm going to go back and hit like right now!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Has bricol won the trophy for longest ever post?
Or does it still belong to Sizewell?
Is he still about? Did his much modified engine continue to deliver power and economy exactly as a well maintained V6 did anyway?

I didn't mean to write so much - it sort of all came out . . . cathartic :) I've not posted on here for some time - new computer, lost login, work, additiaonal car - still from the FCA group - amused to find on dismantling the doors to add side indicators to a Dodge Challenger, the same crappy puddle lights at fitted to the 159 fell out . . . even had Alfa badges on. The 159 just got left, used, swopped to winter wheels, used if the weather was bad, polished in 2018, and just remained reliable, fast, relatively economical, and useful . . .

·
Registered
43 Posts
A quick 5 minute search on Aussie ebay site brought these up. Other types are on there two.

Great! Only those particular ones I see come from China... The units themselves look the same as the official Alfa ones yet of course the vast difference in price. Reckon there's much difference in their operation or quality?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Finished the Halo install by carefully removing the bumper and swapping the new biXenons with the Halos fitted for the original biXenons. What should have been a 20 minute job turned into a 2 hour job when the lower nearside bumper bolt sheared. Off what the horns, unbolt the upper bottle support bracket, shift the bottle out and remove the support bracket. Drill out the sheared bolt but too far gone to re-tap the thread so removed the remains of the captive nut and fitted a rivnut instead. Then put the whole lot back together. Amazingly all the bulbs in the second hand units worked as did the six halos. They're bright!

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Great! Only those particular ones I see come from China... The units themselves look the same as the official Alfa ones yet of course the vast difference in price. Reckon there's much difference in their operation or quality?
I reckon they all originate from China, wherever you are in the world.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Finished the Halo install by carefully removing the bumper and swapping the new biXenons with the Halos fitted for the original biXenons. What should have been a 20 minute job turned into a 2 hour job when the lower nearside bumper bolt sheared. Off what the horns, unbolt the upper bottle support bracket, shift the bottle out and remove the support bracket. Drill out the sheared bolt but too far gone to re-tap the thread so removed the remains of the captive nut and fitted a rivnut instead. Then put the whole lot back together. Amazingly all the bulbs in the second hand units worked as did the six halos. They're bright!
Both the lower end bolts on mine snapped the first time I removed the front bumper about 18 months ago. I did not have time to sort it at the time....but by the time all the other bolts are back in and the screws in the arches I realised they made no difference at all to how solidly the front bumper was mounted.....so I didn't bother they have been missing ever since!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Both the lower end bolts on mine snapped the first time I removed the front bumper about 18 months ago. I did not have time to sort it at the time....but by the time all the other bolts are back in and the screws in the arches I realised they made no difference at all to how solidly the front bumper was mounted.....so I didn't bother they have been missing ever since!
I did think about that.. But when I prepared to remove it and had the right tools to hand I wasn't prepared for the complete lack of fixings under the front of the bumper! I think they got lost when the undertray wasn't refitted when the subframe was overhauled last year at Autolusso! I may have to go on a hunt for some suitable ones! It was held on by the four on the top, the two below on the sides and the four small screws each side. That's just about enough!

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
As mentioned a few posts back..I was disappointed with the poor chrome on the grille that was peeling off in all the corners. My wife's 2006 Merc grille is like new. So rather than buying another poor quality bit of chromed plastic I though I would give her a fresh (and imo slightly more modern) look. When sanding it to get a good key probably 20 percent of the chrome peeled or flaked off....all the dark spots in the pic are wherer it fell off! Anyway here is the before shot, during and finished result. I really like it...but I know there are those who think any ALFA not 100 percent stock is the work of the Devil...that fine. Mines to far from stock to start worrying about that now!
Since the badges are aging (second set) I've also ordered a set of black and red ones to match in.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Well, I ain't been much of a fan for painted grills, but that may have just changed my mind. ^^^^^ Looks good. (y)

I've been toying with the idea of using some spare light smoked window tint for a while, to give a 'black chrome' effect.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Did you read Max Power magazine in your formative years alfaitalia?
I see the fly zapping kebab-shop lights and snow-plough front end are still present. I almost typed ''present and correct''!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Lol......I expected that from you!.........those lights are not blue at all by the way...just way too bright and white for my ancient phone to cope with!

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Having removed the worst scratches a few posts back I set about G3 removal of all the little light scratches. Two hours for the NS to be done by hand....looks great. To be continued.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Alfaitalia – where'd you get that Italian badge at the front next to your grill? Neat!

As for the puddle lights, I might have to wait awhile. Lost of air Mail is, er, being shipped by sea these days.

8401 - 8420 of 8475 Posts