8261 - 8280 of 8323 Posts

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Very pleased Jim. Good man! 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is on my list of to do's. Out of interest Seasidave how long did it take you to get the subframe off, how much of a headache is it?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Hi Darrens1,
I have a mate who is skilled at renovating classic cars so I left the subframe removal to him. Took him 2/3rds of a day as some bolts were seized. Exhaust section has to come off, rad supported etc. It’s a 10 year old Brera and we caught it just right. When sandblasted it was sound. Used POR15 (2 coats) on it after and plenty of Waxoyl in and out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What’s that yellow bit?
Vinyl wrap not sure about it wanted to see how it would look i am planning to wrap the car a cast yellow or a satin matt chrome red.
That is a official alfa romeo diffuser that was an optional extra that the first buyer had put on by the dealer.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Vinyl wrap not sure about it wanted to see how it would look i am planning to wrap the car a cast yellow or a satin matt chrome red.
That is a official alfa romeo diffuser that was an optional extra that the first buyer had put on by the dealer.
Reminds me of what Alfa did with the 2019 Giulietta with the trim at the front and rear.
An acquired taste I guess.
I'd love to see a Brera in yellow.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Ok....so today's task was to sort not one nor even two but three ..yes THREE...leaks of various fluids from various places under the bonnet. First was dead easy...a new oil drain bung. Ruined by me on last week's oil change as it rounded off and so had to be attacked with a chisel to remove it...which meant it was impossible to make completely oil tight when I reinstalled it. A new genuine ALFA one cost a silly £9.50 delivered...but I've had a bad experience with a pattern one I put on my 156....so worth it in my opinion. Shiny!

Next job was also a rework. A few weeks back I fitted a new EGR cooler (the black plastic thing to the left in the pic below)....a couple of weeks later I noticed coolant on the drive...hmm. It was a genuine Vauxhall part (less than a third the ALFA price) and looked good quality....but the seals were rubbish. Within that short time they had hardened and started to leak. A quick rummage through the bin in my garage found the original (but still soft and pliable) 10 year old ALFA ones. So these were pressed back into service....with a thin smear of black RTV silicone.....just to make sure. The final job was the leaking oil dipstick tube to block rubber seal...which had been seaping for a while..but recently gotten worse....probably not helped by it needing to be forced to one side recently to change the EGR cooler ! The top dipstick mount bolts to the EGR cooler and had to be forced to one side slightly to remove the cooler. About an hours work to remove the DPF but pretty straight forward. Still quite a bit too do just to replace a £3 seal! I was amazed to find that none of the DPF bolts snapped off or had rusted into place....the benefits of living in subtropical Sussex! The pics below show what needed to be removed and the other confirmed that it was definitely the reason for the oil leak. Nice to be able to park the car on my drive again with no danger of oil/coolant stains on my brickwork. Also my neighbour was starting to question why my car has been parked outside his house for a fortnight!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Reminds me of what Alfa did with the 2019 Giulietta with the trim at the front and rear.
An acquired taste I guess.
I'd love to see a Brera in yellow.
[/QUOTE
First car way yellow had some left from that so gave the 159 a taste everyone else is urging me to go red and not yellow :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drowned the siren on my 147 by jetwashing it, think it was under one of the front arches, but can't be sure.

After a few days it worked fine again, at least until I disabled the locking beeps
"disabled the locking beeps"? How do you do that? Stupid question I expect but...?

·
Registered
71 Posts
So, over the weekend I bought a pressure washer and a couple of cleaning options.

I'm a traditional bucket washer but have been curious to try foaming or citrus pre-wash. Anyway I tried both, and wasn't overly impressed with either.

I tried the citrus wash first, spraying a fairly dirty car, leaving it and then power washing it off. Yeah, some of the bigger bits of muck came off, but loads remained on the car. After a quick trip to a hardware shop to get the correct hose connecter (apparently duct tape isn't the best way to connect to a power washer), I tried the foamer, as some had come free with my new washer.

Looks great when on the car, and definitely more fun than the citrus but it didn't remove anything new. I understand it's only a pre wash... but for me it's a somewhat pointless ritual. I could have just power hosed off the bigger dirt before getting the bucket and wax out.

On the plus side, if you enjoy the car washing process, it does make it last longer. ;)

IMG_3490.jpg IMG_3478.jpg

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Got rear ended by a van, hand brake on a saw a van getting closer in the mirrors a case of... he’s very close, getting closer... oh f***.... bang.
Thankfully a very low speed prang, so really only som visible scratches, not worth doing anything more with, frustrating all the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
so really only som visible scratches, not worth doing anything more with, frustrating all the same
You decided to just let it go? Might be right - not worth the hassle of having to call the cops or get cash from someone who doesn't want to give it. Other drivers would try bleed them dry.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got a notion last year after seeing the back of some big new pricy saloon, and found some LED rear plate lights on AliExpress for 5 bucks. Figured it was worth a punt even if I never used them.

They arrived last month and while I was home waiting for the oven repair guy I fitted them in 5 mins. And you know what, I kinda like them. Need a new oven though.

IMG_3591.jpg

·
Registered
2012 159 ti 3.2 v6
2 Posts
Hey folks. New member, first time poster, new alfa owner. Today I went to address a fuel delivery/possible leak issue. Here's what I found from the previous owner. (no need for help, just thought I'd post what I found while doing things.)

8261 - 8280 of 8323 Posts