Alfa Romeo Forum banner

8221 - 8240 of 8276 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Changed an intercooler hose which i've been putting off for a while. Because of that the DPF was fully clogged up and the car wouldn't run. Took out the DPF, gave it a nice clean with jet washing, soaked it in caustic soda overnight. Jet washed it again, then forced it all out with compressed air. Car run's like a dream, turbo spooling up very nicely. 1500-2000 range really improved. Very happy with my 2.4

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Thanks mate, I got a pretty good deal on them too which brought them down a bit. Encouraging to hear your experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too, I was set on the Dunlop Sportmaxx, but a mate of mine heads up a pretty large tyre place and he knoidly sorted me out for a marginal uplift on the Dunlops.

I've had mine on about 11 months now, and covered around 9,000 miles - they were fitted the same day as a new set of lower arms with poly bushes and a zero toe alignment by Autolusso in Bournemouth - literally transformed the car.

Beforehand I had a set of the Accelera PH1 which came with the car and the difference is night and day, now when I plant it, the car does a funny little wiggle and off it goes, beforehand the torque steer and wheel slip certainly made for an unpredictable experience.

Firmly believe you get what you pay for in this respect.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Me too, I was set on the Dunlop Sportmaxx, but a mate of mine heads up a pretty large tyre place and he knoidly sorted me out for a marginal uplift on the Dunlops.

I've had mine on about 11 months now, and covered around 9,000 miles - they were fitted the same day as a new set of lower arms with poly bushes and a zero toe alignment by Autolusso in Bournemouth - literally transformed the car.

Beforehand I had a set of the Accelera PH1 which came with the car and the difference is night and day, now when I plant it, the car does a funny little wiggle and off it goes, beforehand the torque steer and wheel slip certainly made for an unpredictable experience.

Firmly believe you get what you pay for in this respect.
Along with the suspension work I bet it drove like a dream afterwards!

I bought mine on Bridgestone Potenzas, they had a nice lip to protect the alloys but the car used to tramline all over the place, haven’t suffered the same problem since.

I agree with you there, tyres make a big difference in performance, so for me it’s worth the outlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
As I popped in another thread, you sacrifice a bit of turn-in feel with the zero toe and poly bushes, it all seems a bit wooly initially, but after a while you get used to it, it was nice just to have some peace and quiet, the Acceleras made a hell of a racket.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
  • New battery today....went right up in terms of spec and type. 5 year warranty so hopefully i can forget about that for a while. Old one was still running...but a bit slow to start on cold morning and slightly bulging at the ends...always a sign that the end is nigh! This size (115 type) is the biggest you can physically fit in the tray and is same height/width as the original (190'm tall and 175 mm wide)....but 315mm long.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Nope...not at all! Its a stop/start spec battery too...so really OTT. But it's supposed to be good for 360,000 starts compared to a std batteries 80 to 100, 000. 800 CCA is nice too. No-one ever had a problem with too much battery capacity!...within reason! It was not much more expensive than a normal one and gets a much better warranty. I get a good discount from Halfords...not what you know.... etc!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I did wonder if the 2.0 had stop-start, couldn't be sure.

I replaced my underspecified one with an Exide 115 in 2018 (non AGM) which made a huge difference

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just joined this site, getting 159 Sportswagon ready for MOT tomorrow!

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here & I'm not really sure where to post this but... Joined this site hoping for a "Classifieds" section, unable to find one! I can see several comments about Classifieds Ads moving etc but, can't see a link anywhere!

I had an odd one this week, knocking noise from front left corner, drive shaft U/J I thought? Also, brakes had no feel for the "top half" of the pedal travel, so, my first thought, master cylinder? Turned out three wheel bolts had dropped out completely and remaining two were working their way out! Disc was, therefore, able to float pushing pistons back into caliper. Top travel on pedal was just pistons taking up slack! Wheel now reattached, missing bolts replaced, master cylinder not required! I had had that tyre changed some while ago but...

So, anybody know anyone who needs a 159 master cylinder? P/No: 0077364272, Brand New Dealer Part, Boxed, Unused, Bought in Error. Reciept dated 4 Feb 2020 shows £226.43 (will accept a bit less - nothing stupid though!). Box squashed in transit to dealer, (however, cylinder NOT damaged). Box unopened thus far but, I will open to take pics if required. I'm told this will also fit Alfa Brera, Vaxhaull/Opel Signum and even some LDV vans amongst others!?

Cylinder is in Cambridge but, I can ship/post as required.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Been back for a week after 2 month holiday over Christmas and remembered that MoT expired 5th Jan. So quickly booked it in to local garage, then the night before noted that both rear tyres were down to the markers. Quick web trawl of local tyre places revealed that QuikFit (yes I know, but needs must) had 2.

So this morning tyres fitted and then for MoT. This afternoon all good - pass with no advisories 4th year in a row, and the one before that was just 1 grumbly wheel bearing. Phew!

·
Registered
6 Posts
MOT update, 159 failed this morning! Rear indicators "not orange enough"(!) & one broken rear spring (not sure how I didn't spot that!). I know that the convention is to change both springs together but, I'm considering just changing the one unless anyone can give me a good reason for having to change both?

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Just joined this site, getting 159 Sportswagon ready for MOT tomorrow!

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here & I'm not really sure where to post this but... Joined this site hoping for a "Classifieds" section, unable to find one! I can see several comments about Classifieds Ads moving etc but, can't see a link anywhere!
There is a classified section, but possibility that you can't see it yet due to limited posts made.

·
Registered
114 Posts
MOT update, 159 failed this morning! Rear indicators "not orange enough"(!) & one broken rear spring (not sure how I didn't spot that!). I know that the convention is to change both springs together but, I'm considering just changing the one unless anyone can give me a good reason for having to change both?
You'll end up with one good spring and one old, possibly weak one that's probably going to snap soon anyway! A previous owner of my car had changed only one spring and when I took them off I noticed that the older one was considerably shorter than the newer one as it had lost some of its strength over time, which went some way toward explaining why the ride height was slightly different on one side!
Would also be worth checking the condition of the shock absorbers while they're off as they could be on their way out through either wear or rust in the spring seats.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Knowing how many variants there are from the factory I doubt that you would be able to match?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
  • New battery today....went right up in terms of spec and type. 5 year warranty so hopefully i can forget about that for a while. Old one was still running...but a bit slow to start on cold morning and slightly bulging at the ends...always a sign that the end is nigh! This size (115 type) is the biggest you can physically fit in the tray and is same height/width as the original (190'm tall and 175 mm wide)....but 315mm long.
View attachment 932379 View attachment 932380 View attachment 932381 View attachment 932382 View attachment 932383
I'll be interested to see how this works out. An AGM can take a much higher current and how that works with a standard alternator is often debated. The internal voltage regulators will be different so it would be great to know that ours will work with an AGM. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Been a week so far...no issues. Charging at 14.2 volts...same as before and sits at about 12.6v when not in use...same as before (i have a volt meter on the dash). It starts much better....turns her over so fast (compared to the old one) that you can feel the car move!! Im sure its probably my imagination....but she does seem smoother running when cold than it did with the old battery too....probably not though!!

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Ok...busy day today. Started with a run out to get two rear tyres (as advised on MOT). Switched the new ones to the front as soon as I got home. I honestly cant remember the last time I had a car with exactly the sames tyres on all four corners!!! ...Since the motor was warm by then it seemed like a good time to do the oil/filter change....the genuine ALFA filter has been knocking about in the boot of the car for about a month! Had to resort to mole grips on the sump plug (new one now on order)...not sure why I never over tighten and its always come out fine before!!!? I added engine flush while she was hot and let her tick over for 20 minutes to give her a good clean through!! Old black yuck out....new golden fully synthetic in. Next was replace the cheap hose clamps on my FMIC...had one blow off the other week...wont happen now with Mikalor clamps....proper job!! Next was the repair of the plug that the EGT sensor plugs into....fourth time....those wires just cant take the heat being so close to the DPF...they get hard and snap with engine movement. Running out of wire to solder near the plug....might try an get that section of loom from a breaker and splice that in. Fixed bad connection in drivers door puddle light. Finally I have had the clearcoat starting to peal on my mirrors...with the cost of genuine TI ones being about half the cost of getting them sprayed it was a no brainer really. I know lots wont like them on a Lusso....but its my car...and I do!! By the way my car is lowered not lifted like it looks in the pics....was still on stands at that time!

8221 - 8240 of 8276 Posts