Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Managed to get the bonnet open... (just purchased a 145 QV requiring recommissioning following a 9-year lay-up)

·
Registered
600 Posts
6 days ago I purchased a 145 L 1.6ie Boxer.
Headlight, indicator and both front disks and pads replaced through out this week.

Previous front pads were down to the rivets! And the disks worn wafer thin.

Headlight and indicator were smashed after previous owner had an incident with a lamp post.

55k and all full service history, nice original and mechanically well kept car.

Always wanted a boxer engined Alfa. 145/6 is such a cheap place to start !

·
Registered
600 Posts
what a difference 6 days can make.

new tires, rear shocks, aux belt and OEM wheel trims ordered.
So should be able to enjoy a proper drive soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Fixed the rear wiper motor. Polished the right side of the car. Ordered an oil filter for oil change this weekend. Cleaned the engine top cover.

·
Registered
600 Posts
New tires all around, NOS wheel trims fitted, PAS and Alternator belt changed.

Still rear shocks to do then hopefully the Boxer 145 will feel much more compliant.

And I can concentrate on bedding those front brakes in.

·
Registered
600 Posts
100 mile drive with some enthusiastic braking to get the bedding in process started for the new front brakes.

Drivers door card off and cloth re stuck to the door card, refitted correctly taking some time to realign and re seat various bits previous fitted incorrectly.

Passengers door card off too, while in the mood. Passenger window was a bit iffy on its way up, bolt tightened securing the glass to the central runner has got this 95% operational.

Handbrake console removed to go fishing for the electric mirror adjustment switch which was thankfully retrieved, refitted and now mirror adjustment is once again fully operational.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,384 Posts
Nothing today, but over some time recently I’ve been slowly recommissioning my black Ph1 Cloverleaf. Started with rebuilding of a broken engine, fitted a new clutch as well. I’m on with ironing out the inevitable gremlins that are lurking in the system as well as some interior bits

Hopefully we’ll be back roadworthy before too long

·
Registered
600 Posts
Oil and filter change on the Boxer today.
Biggest oil filter I could buy fitted, bonus of a longitudinal engine. 4 and a bit litres of Castrol Magnatec 10w40.
Sadly drivers front caliper is still binding every now and then so will be looking to rebuild the calipers and then look at the juddery wipers.

Thoroughly enjoying the little 145 ! So nimble and that little Boxer motor sounds so growly.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey Jowey-

that sounds nice; well done!

Do you know the 'trick' for the juddery wiper motor..?

I thought I would try and continue with the theme of fitting oversize wiper-blades to cars! I've just put a 500mm / 20" blade on the passenger side of the 146; and I seem to be getting away with it. Admittedly; it's only 12.5mm longer either end than standard, but having fitted a slightly oversize drivers' blade some months ago; I was keen to continue the theme.

It's quite refreshing how much of the windscreen stays clear. (I'm quite tall)

Other than that; this week I have had the aux-belt & tensioner swapped and the inboard anti-roll bar bushes (subframe off).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well the 146ti after it’s 4 year lay up (yep 4 years) I’m trying to get it started! Cranks over but no starting... presses inertia cut off switch below front of passenger seat( hope its that) and still nothing. Is it just a press or do you hold it? Anyway didn’t start! Any ideas welcome!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just pulled ALL relays from near battery and see some are corroded so will be polishing them up! Oh an removed some mould from the interior 🤢🤮☠
Hopefully after relays polished car may start

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey Treadmark,

Inertia switch should just be a push- but it's a single-pole interrupt on a line- you could just bypass it.

There are ONLY two things that prevent one of these cars from actually catching (on start up)- the crank sensor (rear of engine, under starter motor, gearbox side)

And the fuel pump having failed, or not having power..

Good luck!

Where you based??

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,384 Posts
I’ve had the dirty relays by the battery cause a failure to start. I’d start with those as they are an easy, simple, accessible fix. Mine are still a bit dirty, it starts but sometimes stalls

I’d focus on those before messing about climbing under the car or pulling the pump out

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey! Yea I’ve had a quick go but only a half hearted job.... can’t hear the pumpwhirring so guessing still that!
Ok il do a better job tomorrow
Thanks guys

·
Registered
574 Posts
Don’t forget that the pump will only run for a few seconds when you turn on the ignition. It’s next activated when you try to start the engine. In other words, don’t expect to hear the pump continually whirring with ignition on but engine off.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts