Discussion Starter #1
I saw some people removing the soft coating and maybe painiting on cleaning

or hydrographics

please.. show us yours..

tips and advice greatfully received

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
2 hours ago I demolished my drivers door switch, forgot there is a retaining screw through the door card so be careful if you remove it. New one needed. :disappointed:

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,511 Posts
Door panel or switch?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Strip down your switch, and buy an oven cleaner (like ''fornet'' which I use). It is a foam in a spray can. Apply some on the ''greasy'' surface, wait for 5 minutes and wipe it. I use pieces of foam to do it,from a sheet 1mx1m which I buy for that reason. Apply another coat and do the same again. After 4-5 times the part will be completely ''grease'' free. Since it is a small part normally it doesn't need to be repainted unless you have scratched it. If we were talking about the centre console things would be different. Bear in mind that the ''greasier'' the part is the easier you will clean it. So it is a good idea to heat it before you put the spray on it. Another alternative of painting is ''wrapping''. I suppose you have seen cars with 3M wrapping. 3M also has products for applications on smaller items. They come in every colour and texture. They even have some with metallic not only looks but ''feel'' as well. You can see many videos in youtube. If you see the result it is truly unbelievable.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I recently tried wrapping a small piece of trim in my e61 that suffered the same fate with the coating. Have it a good clean and degrease first wrap went on fine but after a few days with heat from the sun insider the car the wrap started to bubble and lift.

Opted to spray with black plastidip instead,hopefully that lasts better

·
Registered
215 Posts
I recently tried wrapping a small piece of trim in my e61 that suffered the same fate with the coating. Have it a good clean and degrease first wrap went on fine but after a few days with heat from the sun insider the car the wrap started to bubble and lift.

Opted to spray with black plastidip instead,hopefully that lasts better
I covered my whole car in plastidip, I really regret covering my whole car in plastidip.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'm planning on wrapping the handles in leather amd the switch panels im grey/Titanium coloured carbon 3M...
I did my Giulietta dash panel along with a few other bits 3 years ago and still looks fresh (if you tuck the edges around the back it's less likely to lift after)...
The rubber coating is letting the GT's interior down :(

·
Registered
950 Posts
you can remove the sticky rubberlike coating cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.....
The resulting plastic can be left as-is ...
I've tried but the base plastic on mine is white which showed through shortly after rubbing :(

·
Registered
950 Posts
Strange, was black on mine (and others), just the text in white, as that is illuminated
That's what I thought but when you turn it over its white (could be a cost saving or change of supplier )?
Now I left with an even scruffier one haha
Justin.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've only had a couple of bad bits so far. A passenger door handle grip was sticky, I just cleaned it and gave it a paint with satin black paint. It was only the inside part so it's hardly noticeable. And the drivers height adjustment lever was sticky. I just cleaned it and left it as is.

I did re-paint my parcel shelf though with fabric paint. Much nicer looking at a black shelf than some strange silver/purple combination.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Strip down your switch, and buy an oven cleaner (like ''fornet'' which I use). It is a foam in a spray can. Apply some on the ''greasy'' surface, wait for 5 minutes and wipe it. I use pieces of foam to do it,from a sheet 1mx1m which I buy for that reason. Apply another coat and do the same again. After 4-5 times the part will be completely ''grease'' free. Since it is a small part normally it doesn't need to be repainted unless you have scratched it. If we were talking about the centre console things would be different. Bear in mind that the ''greasier'' the part is the easier you will clean it. So it is a good idea to heat it before you put the spray on it. Another alternative of painting is ''wrapping''. I suppose you have seen cars with 3M wrapping. 3M also has products for applications on smaller items. They come in every colour and texture. They even have some with metallic not only looks but ''feel'' as well. You can see many videos in youtube. If you see the result it is truly unbelievable.
Much easier and quicker to use brake cleaner, plus theres less chance you ll take the black off as well.

I've tried but the base plastic on mine is white which showed through shortly after rubbing :(
You used something far to harsh and abrasive and /or scrubbed too hard, brake cleaner is best for this.

Strange, was black on mine (and others), just the text in white, as that is illuminated
Yours is white underneath too, theyre all the same - injection moulded white nylon, painted black using a stencil (leaving the white nylon showing through in the shape of the electric window symbol so it lights up), then painted with the "soft feel" coating, which then starts to peel off years later. westonprawn used something far to abrasive and/or scrubbed too hard, taking the black off too.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Illuminated switches are white plastic painted black and the graphics are generally etched away using a laser.
Its usually nylon rather than plastic, but if its etched rather than stencilled fair enough.

Some are also black abs with nylon inserts (that have a raised graphic) which are added to the mould before the black abs is injected in, leaving the raised nylon graphic flush with the black abs, the nylon is white and the light behind shines through, slightly different method, same result. Well slightly better result in that theres no black to come off.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've only had a couple of bad bits so far. A passenger door handle grip was sticky, I just cleaned it and gave it a paint with satin black paint. It was only the inside part so it's hardly noticeable. And the drivers height adjustment lever was sticky. I just cleaned it and left it as is.

I did re-paint my parcel shelf though with fabric paint. Much nicer looking at a black shelf than some strange silver/purple combination.
No there's no chance to take the black off (I've done it many times), but I agree that it isn't quick. The worst part to become sticky is the centre console. I have changed mine once because I didn't want to clean it as it would lose that very nice mat finish. Generally this coating doesn't last more than 10 years. I hope AR will find other coating materials.

·
Registered
35,763 Posts
They don’t use soft-feel paint any more, judging from the Stelvio.
It was a fashion made popular by VW on the 5th Golf.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
They don’t use soft-feel paint any more, judging from the Stelvio.
It was a fashion made popular by VW on the 5th Golf.
I ve had the dubious pleasure of working on the interior of a fair number of Golf 5s, it never ceases to amaze me how poor quality the plastics are and how badly put together it is compared to the 147, despite the supposedly excellent VW build quality and supposedly poor Alfa build quality.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts