Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What have I done Now!

881 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Chris_C2000 
#1 ·
*sigh* reversing out of a parking space, front bumper caught on the kerb and did this:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Automotive wheel system

It seems to have come away from the wheel arch lining, cant really see much else. Any idea where I start?

See less See more
#3 ·
Expand!

What do I need to undo, are the fixings likely to be frozen solid/bolts need replacing?

I dont have a lot of experience with these things (and not many spare parts) so like to be prepared!

#4 ·
In all honesty I don't know the underpinnings but I'm going to take a good guess that there will be 4 bolts on the front, 2 at the front of the slam panel & 2 under. There may also be 2 at the rear on each side. The side fittings are most likely cups that slot into the bumper when you push it into place. You will also need to unfasten the inner arches from the bumper, probabl screws, possibly clips.
Unless it's been removed before, the fittings are unlikely to be stuck & worn & should come off without too much effort.

#6 · (Edited)
3 screws and one large hex cap bolt ( 10mm ) each side .

Screws : One in the wheelarch ( this may have been damaged in the incident). One underneath just in front of the wheel. One holding the inner wing plastic cover on.

The two big bolts can be seen by looking down the cutout in front of the headlamp.

You might get away with undoing the bolt on the damaged side only.

What you're going to be doing is feeding the hook in the bumper back over the plastic key on the car.

Have a look at the picture in this post :
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/4507496-post18.html

At the centre bottom, you'll see a zinc plated hex bolt fixing a bit of black plastic to the car's body.

Underneath the bolt head is an angled bit of plastic. That fits into a recess on the bumper. Immediately to the left of the bolt head is a vertically orientated oval shaped bit of plastic. A bit of the bumper slides over that.

If you have to slacken both sides of the bumper, you'll probably need a helper to get it aligned properly on both sides.

Hope that helps.

If you need assistance, I'm near M1 J12. I have a 10mm allen key and I've removed my bumper a number of times!

EDIT : The photo below shows the bracket a little better

Attachments

#9 ·
Umm I joined you turtle in the gaffer tape brigade... Didnt have a 10mm hex and left it over christmas and suddenly realised the tyre had worn away the wheel arch lining. Black duct tape and you can hardly tell!

Dont suppose anyone has one of these linings going cheap do they? :)

#8 ·
Thanks guys. Come down with the (man)flu over the last couple of days but when I feel better I'll see if I have that 10mm Hex and I can work out what needs to be done. PKR your just round the corner from me :) I might take you up on that..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.