Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Fastest I have been in a tspark was 120mph and it felt it had more to give. This was a 145 qv and it felt very stable at that speed.

Reactions: knoppy1987

·
Administrator
23,047 Posts
Most speedos are at least 10% out - so 130 is more like 117.

I was done for speeding in my previous TS - speedo said 115 - cop with calibrated speedo said 101. Luckily because I was reasonable (admitted it and said I knew what I was doing and had no excuse at all) he did me for 95 which was fixed penalty rather than court.

As far as your question goes if your engine (TS) is over 100k miles I wouldn't risk it - got through two (engines) in
my TS and I drove with mechanical sympathy and always kept up the maintenance.

I just don't believe TS engines are built to last first died at 143k and the second at 135k.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Nothing??

Ive had 135+mph indicated loads of times - but I live 10km from the Autobahn.

To be honest 130+ish feels like a bit too much in the TS, the front goes a bit light and you can tell you are asking a lot of everything.

110-115mph is no sweat at all, and it can (and will) sit there for long and extended periods.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At 110 ( on a private road of course) it seemed like there could well be another 20mph in her.

According to my sat nav speedos only 2 or 3mph out.

Just worried all my wheels would drop off, and I go hurtling down the road like the Jamaican Bob sled team, sparks , flying.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Most speedos are at least 10% out - so 130 is more like 117
That was probably a good rule of thumb in the days of mechanical speedos with a drive cable running from the gearbox to the speedo.

It doesn't really apply to electronic speedos.

You will find a fixed error of a couple of miles per hour on a 916 with 205/50 16" but that reduces with the car on 225/45 17".

If the speedo is reading 130MPH it will have the same error displayed as it will at 30MPH.

I have actually been experimenting with this recently. I've been feeding a Phase 2 instrument cluster from a function generator on my desk and the pulses to drive it are consistent all the way from 10MPH to 160MPH.

You can see here the setup and the speedo reading 130MPH -

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m615/pkr1/Samples/2015-10-18_10-24-51_DSC_0001_zpsgwh1xdod.jpg

( Please excuse a) my untidy desk and b) my really cruddy function generator ).

Oh and any copper reading this and excitedly about to start trying to get my IP address from the AO forum and then my personal details from my ISP - LOOK AT THE PHOTOGRAPH - IT IS ON MY DESK ). :biglaugh:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Just out of interest, the theoretical maximum speed for a 2.0 TS is 148.6 MPH on 205/50 16" and 154.2 MPH on 225/45 17".

The car will never achieve that of course owing to drag, transmission losses and rolling resistance but that is what 7000 RPM and a total gearbox ratio of 1:3.370 will get you.

Theoretically you also need to factor in the tyre diameter changing slightly at those high rotational speeds but that is getting silly.

The phase 1 sales brochure states the top speed of the 2.0 TS is 134MPH.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
In days past when I had my you know what model Thema?

I'd of past you with its 2nd stage turbo boost coming in, handling as steady as a rock?:readit: :lol:

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
That was probably a good rule of thumb in the days of mechanical speedos with a drive cable running from the gearbox to the speedo.

It doesn't really apply to electronic speedos.

You will find a fixed error of a couple of miles per hour on a 916 with 205/50 16" but that reduces with the car on 225/45 17".

If the speedo is reading 130MPH it will have the same error displayed as it will at 30MPH.

I have actually been experimenting with this recently. I've been feeding a Phase 2 instrument cluster from a function generator on my desk and the pulses to drive it are consistent all the way from 10MPH to 160MPH.

You can see here the setup and the speedo reading 130MPH -

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m615/pkr1/Samples/2015-10-18_10-24-51_DSC_0001_zpsgwh1xdod.jpg

( Please excuse a) my untidy desk and b) my really cruddy function generator ).

Oh and any copper reading this and excitedly about to start trying to get my IP address from the AO forum and then my personal details from my ISP - LOOK AT THE PHOTOGRAPH - IT IS ON MY DESK ). :biglaugh:
The airbag light is on....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My tyres are 10 years old and they have that deteriorated look to the rubber, so not good to heat em up to 134mph?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
My tyres are 10 years old and they have that deteriorated look to the rubber, so not good to heat em up to 134mph?
No, I wouldnt advise it. Also check the speed rating.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Most speedos are at least 10% out - so 130 is more like 117.

I was done for speeding in my previous TS - speedo said 115 - cop with calibrated speedo said 101. Luckily because I was reasonable (admitted it and said I knew what I was doing and had no excuse at all) he did me for 95 which was fixed penalty rather than court.

As far as your question goes if your engine (TS) is over 100k miles I wouldn't risk it - got through two (engines) in
my TS and I drove with mechanical sympathy and always kept up the maintenance.

I just don't believe TS engines are built to last first died at 143k and the second at 135k.
I agree the twinky's are fragile. Two major issues. First, they drink oil and suffer badly from lack of it, so the reliance on the diligence of the owner is more significant than most engines. Secondly, the timing belt, due to the design of the engine, is not up to the job, so basically it's Russian roulette after 37k for catastrophic failure. Add to that, most owners cain them for a living ......cause it's an alfa. Combine all that and you don't see many big mileage TS's.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts