Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I presume they're still building it and not holding off, pending a PSA merger followed by a quick re-engineer onto a Citroen C4 chassis or something?

I haven't seen or heard anything for a while...

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I was in WLMG Reading last month and asked when we were likely to see the Tonale. They had heard nothing from Alfa on when they would be arriving in showrooms. I have my name down to be contacted when they have more news.

I wait with bated breath! Hopefully something turns up before September '21 when my Giulietta goes back. I may go down the Stelvio route but I'd like to see the Tonale in the flesh before I go down that route.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
When I was in Johnsons Swindon buying a new Fiat with the Parents in September, I spoke to one of the Alfa sales guys and there was no mention of the Tonale there either. The showroom looked a bit desperate with just a pair of Giulia's (the Stelvio's were outside at the time).

If they hang on much longer they might as well put it on the PSA platform from the 3008 instead of the mediocre Jeep Compass platform that they were said to be planning to use.

I think it'll be the second half of 2021 at best. As well as the merger with PSA, FCA have the new Hybrid powertrains to carry on rolling out, plus the electric 500 launch, the Maserati MC20 & the new Stelvio-based Maserati Grecale SUV. I think a new Grand Cherokee (also on the Giorgio platform) is coming in 2021 too, so I've a sneaking feeling Alfa have been pushed to the back of the queue. It's a poor way to run a brand, but I think they've got more brands than they can handle - product launches and renewals is far from timely across all of FCA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, it's still in play. But I believe it was pushed up to a year as the mgmt decided to base the Tonale on a PSA platform instead (as stated by @JTD_Liam above). The latest in this week, from what I have been able to understand from different Italian sources - heavily assisted by Google Translate - is that it's scheduled to reach the dealers "end of 2021".

The fact that Klaus Busse started to post pictures of the Tonale this week could be a sign that it's still in schedule and that he/his team also reads what's being said on social forums... ;)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Given the time that's elapsed since they showed the concept, if holding off a few more months means it'll end up on the PSA platform instead of the FCA Small Wide 4x4 platform which can trace its basic roots back to the 2005 Grande Punto, then it has to be a good move.

The FCA platform is reasonable for something like the Fiat Tipo (which I now have) but that's a car that costs between & £10k & £20k (and I can't imagine many spend £20k), but for an Alfa in the Giulia & Stelvio era and probably costing around £25k upwards, I don't see how it'll cut the mustard. It's not gifted the Jeep Compass an amazing dynamic reputation and I'd say people would have higher expectations for Alfa after their recent highlights. It's a shame that Giorgio can't be used, but the PSA platform seems more competitive than FCAs other (and ageing) platforms.

·
Registered
351 Posts
it should come in the end of 2021, so its basically almost one year later than promised. Really hope we dont get that PSA stuff to Alfas....

·
Registered
37,888 Posts
Given the time that's elapsed since they showed the concept....
It's a shame that Giorgio can't be used, but the PSA platform seems more competitive than FCAs other (and ageing) platforms.
Who’s Giorgio?

·
Registered
37,888 Posts
At last year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed I enquired about the Tonale and a young lady at the Jeep/Alfa stand told me they were making a lot of changes. Perhaps more than name? The leaked mkt. research shots show how much the showcar improved on the production car. The neutralising of all research properties by showing them in Control Silver doesn’t help.

·
Registered
380 Posts
One of Swedish car magazines, claim there will shortly be presentation of details of Tonale - possibly with pictures.

I have given up Tonale. Having moved to Lysekil on a peninsula north of Göteborg, I will do very little driving. However, I wanted some fun, so I bought a MY 2005 Porsche Carrera S with 70000 km on the clock. Black. Mint condition. 355bhp. 1500kg. RWD. 4 exhausts :eek:). Like many 911 owners in Sweden, I will only use during summer. 9000 Turbo for winter.
Not as fun as my "old" Stelvio Quadrifoglio - but less than half yearly cost.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Lovely buy @Tjalle, massively jealous.

As for the tonale, i still remember press releases about the giulia in 2010-12, i think in 12 we heard "itll be here sooner then many of you might expect", well, how did that work out? Given their nack for deciding a re-work is needed on a new model just before pushing it out, i fully expect them to say "hmm, i know we have a presentation next month, but we now have all these peugeot bits, better redesign some stuff so we can fit one of those french lumps in, and while we're at it, a new dashboard"

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Tonale was mentioned yesterday in some Italian press. According to the a Manager within Alfa, the Tonale is due to be presented in Q4 next year with the first cars hitting the streets in Q1 2022. Still unsure if it gets the no-too-modern Jeep Compasss underpinnings or the more updated PSA. Time will tell...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Longer and longer to wait, no wonder no one seems to want to take on Alfa as a dealer. So only 2 models for about 2 yrs.

·
Registered
37,888 Posts
Beginning of 2022?

“2022The Tonale should arrive no earlier than the end of 2021, with some possibility that it may even be available from the beginning of 2022by Natale Li Vecchi04/12/2020, 16:53That of the Alfa Romeo Tonale seems like a story that does not have a happy ending.Almost two years have passed since that March 2019 but it is still difficult to understand how and when it will arrive on the market.The most discussed among the SUVs of the Biscione remained in fact in the form of a concept, only to be escaped through real images promptly denied by mother Alfa.”

“the Tonale was supposed to arrive in 2020, according to the initial schedule established the day after its appearance at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show, week by week the actual debut date has continued longer and longer.In the meantime, 2020 has already ended and there is no trace of the Tonale.There is even talk of 2022Alessandro Grosso, who has been Country Manager for Alfa Romeo and Jeep at FCA for a few months, provides some more data on the programs for the next 2021.Grosso admitted that one of his goals for next year is clearly that of "ferrying Alfa Romeo guaranteeing network sustainability only with Giulia and Stelvio, at least for the first nine months of 2021. The Giulietta is at the end of its career.and Alfa Romeo for the moment will remain with only two models in the list, ”he admitted.”

·
Registered
271 Posts
What a way to run Alfa, yet again delays
Makes a joke of the company, so by the time it arrives, 2020, 2023, or longer place your bets, the market will have moved on along with buyers, into BMW. Audi, Jag dealers etc all of whom can offer electric etc NOW!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Longer and longer to wait, no wonder no one seems to want to take on Alfa as a dealer. So only 2 models for about 2 yrs.
Welcome to 2010-2015, sure they had the also 4C back then, but those will hardly put enough numbers in the books to be worth the effort.

No surprise though, and unlike 2010-2015, the cars they have on sale now are out of reach of many people, or simply too large, and the prospect we get is a tarted up jeep/pug SUV rather then a brilliant halo RWD sports saloon....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts