Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , just seen my old Gta getting broken up for parts at auto lusso , sad , but wondered if anyone knows of why ?,

·
Registered
646 Posts
Was that the press car!? Criminal!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Looks like it's running in the pictures? Not sure why it's being broken. Probably for financial gains. What did it sell for prior to being broken?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
You sold it instead of looking after it? It's partly your fault.......;)
Exactly. Nigel.

Ned/Dan. Stop it and put it back together:tut:

·
Vendor
47,164 Posts
It was a cat D write-off, front bumper is full of filler, crossmember a bit bent (possibly historical damage?) both front wings rotten, rad leaking, that along with a number of other more straight forward mechanical issues meant that it was not economically viable - as in, the GTA plus the costs to fix it were more than its re-sale value.

·
Vendor
47,164 Posts
And besides, for every one that is broken, at least one but more often a good few GTAs are saved. Lets not forget, engines and cranks have been unobtainable new for nearly 5 years now, this one will be the heart transplant to keep another going.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
W o w - after 6 years ownership , I sold it on 2 years ago , it was tip top , must have had a hard life after I sold it , jeez , sad is an understatement . It got a new rad along with the timing / water pump set up not so long ago , must have had the ****e kicked out of it ( although kind of why you buy them I s 'pose ) although I had my fun , I put 50k on it in 6 years of everyday driving , oh well , as you say , it'll keep a few more gta's on the road .........

·
Vendor
47,164 Posts
By the way the damage was after something fell off a lorry, it damaged the windscreen, bonnet, bumper, radiator, crossmember, exhaust system and some of the floor.. It was partially repaired after the accident, that was when the bumper was fillered and painted. But the repair was abandoned and we ended up buying it, the previous owner has now got a white 147 GTA :cool:

It was defnitely cherished after you owned it, but there's no getting away from a write-off marker and what it does to the value of the car.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I am about to take a cherished plate off my GTA (its one I bought for one of my sons and he has just bought a car and wants it, not selling it)...I wonder if I can get its original one back RE02 EJO.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
9 times out of 10 it will go back to its original plate.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am about to take a cherished plate off my GTA (its one I bought for one of my sons and he has just bought a car and wants it, not selling it)...I wonder if I can get its original one back RE02 EJO.
just checked and its not registered to another vehicle so you may be lucky.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Would these vehicles with number plates RE02 Exx all have been registered centrally? Mine is RE02 EJL. so thats 3 straight off with very similar registrations. Any more out there?

·
Premium Member
7,045 Posts
I was importing a lot of new Alfa's back in 2002 and we used to register them at Luton DVLA office so they had a KL, KY or KE prefix

Alfa UK based in Slough nearest DVLA office was Reading so RE prefix

Trade Sales was also in Slough so a lot of imports also had RE, RN, etc etc prefix

The GTA that VBH used on 5th gear is owned by one of my customers and is loved and is never going to be for sale

Any Alfa out there with a KX prefix is one we imported

Any Alfa with WN, WP, WV etc etc prefix is one that has come in through Bristal docks and pre registered to Alfa UK fleet or rental company

The first GTA's all came in by truck rather than slow boat and went directly to HQ and were all registered in Reading DVLA hence RE reg

Ned

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Very interesting - thanks Ned.

·
Vendor
47,164 Posts
There were 15 x RE02 plated GTAs at the UK media launch event in 2002 at Ackergill Tower, which is in North Scotland. The current ETCC champion Fabrizio Giovanardi was there, there was a photo in the service history of RE02 EJY with him posing next to it.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts