Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 10 years must be almost up now. Remember how they trumpeted their 10 year plan to successfully integrate the road, rail, air and water networks to reduce congestion and improve our quality of life?

What have they actually done?:mad:

Traffic is infinitely worse. Railways are even more expensive and unreliable than ever before. Buses are slow, expensive, unreliable and smelly. Tram networks (like in Manchester) can't get the funding to extend a successful, albeit small, system.

Taxes are all up on anything motor related. Their solutions all seem to focus entirely on more taxes to drive us off or soak us more. Congestion fees, Pay-As-You-Drive with spy satellites tracking your every movement. It makes my blood boil.:mad: :mad:

So where is this grand plan now Mr Prescott and Mr Blair?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Right on Jim! Must go and sign that partition/Blair's plaster cast.

When I was a youngster growing up in the sixties, if someone had said we'd all be driving four-wheeled tin boxes, only the'd be heavier and thirstier than the current one's I'd have though him/her an idiot. I was convinced that in the year 2000 - and I couldn't then quite conceive when that was or that I'd be likely to see it - we'd be travelling by high speed monorails.
So why not?? Why eight lane roadways that gorge themselves on millions of hectares of wildlife habitat/prime agricultural land and generate floods???
Please Sir! I want to create the monorail system I dreamed of aged 8 and save at least part of the planet before it's too late!

E

·
0 Posts
Our Tony decided it was much better to spend his time attempting to make himself look good around the world, and Prezza and the rest are just a bunch of hypocritical [email protected]$.

It is one thing trying to sort out problems around the world but what about the ones here??? While yes Africa needs help the money is wasted as it never gets to those that need it, of course there is no point trying to actually solve the problems as there is no oil there. So lets make a token gesture of a few billion when it would be much better used wiping out NHS debt and being put into sorting out crime at home :mad: :mad: :mad:

I will get off my soap box now.

N

·
0 Posts
erm they won the election:D thats all they cared about
Exactly.

Once a government is in, the only thing
they worry about is how to get those plum
jobs after the get kicked out.

Why do you think all these ludicrous
PFI contracts and disastrous IT projects
all get payrolled so easily with tax money?
And then minister in charge is suddenly on
the board of directors of the winning bidder! Hmmmmmm........

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Did they have one? Think the polarisation of the magnets on the monorails went squiffy or something. Seriously though, they have them somewhere don't they? Or perhaps it's the pictures I remember in the Eagle, after Dan Dare and The Mekon. '59 up the M1, no speed limit when it opened Eh' wrenched?

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
I have to stop you lot there !! :tut:

The 10 year plan was actually meant to end up being just that... i.e. not improving anything so eventually taking you 10 years to get any fecking where on the UKs sh1te, pot hole filled roads !! :p

:rolleyes:

:lol:

N

·
0 Posts
Or another view: All they promised
was to make a plan.

There was no mention of implementing
the plan!

:lol:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
It's no good going on and on about the fact that a bunch of little grey men, who for the want of a better job got themselves elected for five years, don't/can't plan for longer than those five years. That's the miracle of democracy. Never mind your grand children are going to burn in a man made furnace while Rome fiddles.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Plan :confused:, I thought it was a 10 year dream :lol:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
If Blair is dreaming, lets go pinch him, or maybe punch him repeatedly :lol:
You'll have to join the (very large) queue for that Eddie !! :p

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I take a different view (as ever :rolleyes:).

Unfortunately the only effective plan for transport would never be implemented. Something like this would be needed:-

Ma$$ive investment in railways.
Ma$$ive increases in road taxes (direct/indirect) to
a) fund the investment in railways
b) disincentivise car usage​

...And this doesn't begin to address the "green issues" associated with motoring which have become more of a focus in the years since 1997. Addressing which more effectively would require investment.

Having taken a straw poll of the views on this thread and forum, amongst petrol heads in general and (more importantly) the mainstream press, I don't think these moves would be, ahem, popular :wow:.

In any case, the government never had the balls to do this. This government kow-tows to Murdoch's gutter press every time. Fearful presumably of the bashing Kinnock's party got in years gone by.

Meanwhile, the Tories were idiologically opposed to this: the market can regulate everything.

So whichever government were in power, the result would (as ever) be the same.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
An almost unfettered market has brought us to where we are today. I do agree, it's going to take a course of pills that I fear will be just too unpalateable to the voting public to tackle congestion, let alone global warming.
PLEASE let me be proved wrong.
The financial penalties, mind you, are likely to be so high there might even be a chance of fixing some of the other probelms like pensions and health.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The age of the train ?

I checked out a return railway journey from Loughborough to London for me, wife and two kids (last minute situation admittedly).

They wanted £290 return at the cheapest for that journey (1h 35 each way). I'd want a special carriage for myself with free beers and exotic ladies offering tuition in various relaxation techniques for that price.

So I took the GT...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts