Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, been having a problem for the last month of so with my speedometer dying or dropping down to zero whenever I'm at 4000rpms, always on 4th and 5th gear. Funnily enough, it comes back to life at 4250rpms and also when I get back below 4000rpms.

It really seems that whenever I'm between 4000rpms and 4250rpms, my speedometer dies!!!

I thought it was a battery problem so I replaced the battery for a new one, but I still have the same problem. With the old battery, when the speedometer died, I would notice that all my lights, like on the dash board and my headlights were much noticably dimmer.

Also, my battery light lights up on my dash board whenever my speedometer dies.

Anyone with an explanation or any advice would be most grateful.

I don't think I had the same problem as this previous thread.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...r-odometer-problem.html?highlight=speedometer

Many thanks

Dustin

P.S. Oh, I forgot, I drive a 156 1.6TS 2001 model.

R

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a MAF problem to me. Try disconnecting the MAF, if it gets better or stays the same you need a new one.

Oooops, you meant the speedo reading died not the power didn't you. My mistake. My spider occasionally does this, I think it's to do with the aircon fan coming on in my case. Where in the world are you? is it a hot place or have you had hot weather recently?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, I'm not sure it being the air con because I tried my car with my air con switched off and I still get the same problem.

As to my location, I'm just cruising around Europe at the moment, but unfortunately, I've not seen any real sunny weather :(

Could it be my alternator?

Thanks

Dustin

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
robf781 said:
My spider occasionally does this, I think it's to do with the aircon fan coming on in my case.
That can't happen very often in Leeds can it ? :cheese:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts