Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm new to the Alfa brand and had been looking at purchasing a new one. I went into my local dealership with the intention of seeing what deal I could get on a 1.4 170bhp petrol in Alfa red. The dealer seemed keen to sell me a grey 1.6 105bhp diesel that he already had in the shownroom. The diesel did have a higher spec but it didn't seem right.

I was looking for feedback from both petrol and diesel owners to judge what they think.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
If you wanted a 170bhp petrol you are going to be very disapointed with a 105bhp Diesel.

I went to a fiat dealer once looking to buy a 1.4 105bhp Multair punto but the salesmen was keen to sell me a 1.0 Hyundai i10. Apparently it had air conditioning :alien:

The 170 petrol multiair is a fantastic engine. Are you looking at new or 2nd hand?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you wanted a 170bhp petrol you are going to be very disapointed with a 105bhp Diesel.

I went to a fiat dealer once looking to buy a 1.4 105bhp Multair punto but the salesmen was keen to sell me a 1.0 Hyundai i10. Apparently it had air conditioning :alien:

The 170 petrol multiair is a fantastic engine. Are you looking at new or 2nd hand?
looking at new, with either the 150 or 170 engines in petrol. I know the diesel will be better for my pocket but I don't want it to be a dull ride

·
Registered
490 Posts
looking at new, with either the 150 or 170 engines in petrol. I know the diesel will be better for my pocket but I don't want it to be a dull ride
I wouldn't buy a new diesel. It's only a matter of time before

1. The government hits them with a hike in derv duty and/or

2. They get banned from city centres.

The NOX thing is really going to hit the fan anytime soon. With such a superb engine as the 1750 multiair, you don't need to consider a diesel.

Reactions: jedkk

·
Registered
489 Posts
We had the 170 jtdm for 4 yrs and 43000 mls really enjoyed the low down torque and mpg was always up in 40+ no matter how hard it was driven.
Just exchanged for a 170 tct 1.4 and really enjoying it, we don't do enough miles to warrant a Diesel so you should look at how many miles you are likely to do.
The 105 jtdm is a good engine and very good mpg but will feel a little slower on the uptake than a 170 petrol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had the 170 jtdm for 4 yrs and 43000 mls really enjoyed the low down torque and mpg was always up in 40+ no matter how hard it was driven.
Just exchanged for a 170 tct 1.4 and really enjoying it, we don't do enough miles to warrant a Diesel so you should look at how many miles you are likely to do.
The 105 jtdm is a good engine and very good mpg but will feel a little slower on the uptake than a 170 petrol.
we don't do enough miles per year to need a diesel. The dealer kept pushing on it would be worth more in four years over the petrol models.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i always think get the best you can afford, then you wont ever think what if ect, and the dealer sounds as if he really wants rid of the diesel, so maybe a very good deal could be had??

But the 1.4 170 is a fantastic engine. Love mine.
have you driven both engines?

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
Stick to your original plan, otherwise you will end up not liking the car shortly after buying it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i always think get the best you can afford, then you wont ever think what if ect, and the dealer sounds as if he really wants rid of the diesel, so maybe a very good deal could be had??

But the 1.4 170 is a fantastic engine. Love mine.
have you driven both engines?
No I was looking to test the diesel today but the battery was flat and they started to swap batteries around from another but I told them I'd come back at the weekend when I had more time. I'm leaning to the 170bhp petrol now.

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
A more even match would be the 170 diesel and 170 petrol.

Both are great in their own way, but there is no point getting a Diesel if you don't do many miles.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I've had the 170 MA and now I have 150 MA. Both do the job :).

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
Diesel doesn't justify the initial outlay unless you're going to do 20000 miles a year I suppose.
If you buy new that is true but once the car is secondhand the price difference reduces.

The costs difference at 5 years old for example is negligeable.

I only do about 10,000 miles per year at the moment, but I am still saving money every week.

Probably around £15 a week over a similar powered Petrol.

Servicing and other running costs are about the same, and the tax and insurance are also cheaper.

Not sure how the longer term depreciation will compare but I doubt there will be much in it. Giuliettas hold their value pretty well for the class of car.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I had a 2.0 150ps diesel as a courtesy car today, same exclusive spec as my multiair petrol 170.
There is absolutely no way that I would swap. (Apart from the twin exhausts and the new flat bottom wheel feels pretty good).
Yes there's more torque 1500-2500 revs but that's when the torque in the petrol takes over.
Best thing was how much more I appreciate mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts