Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
think i am talking about the pipework around by the lower air filter and up by the bumper mounts

its a PH1 3.0 gtv

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Reduces induction noise I think. All about making cars so quiet that pedestrians don't hear them coming ;)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
only reason why i say it my 3.0 used to have a really nice ressonance at around 2500revs under part and heavy throttle, while doing something bumper related i have to remove this tubing and of course putting it back ( better) its lost that ressonence its GONE and i want it back GGGRRRRR

i am right in thinking its this pipe that if followed goes down and then under the cylinder holding air filter

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Not sure about the V6. On the TS the resonator box is between the air filter and throttle - adjacent to the expansion tank.

Hopefully a V6 owner will be along for you ...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
only reason why i say it my 3.0 used to have a really nice ressonance at around 2500revs under part and heavy throttle, while doing something bumper related i have to remove this tubing and of course putting it back ( better) its lost that ressonence its GONE and i want it back GGGRRRRR

i am right in thinking its this pipe that if followed goes down and then under the cylinder holding air filter
Yea thats what it looks like, can you not follow it down? Could be that it has disconnected from the airbox??

Not sure about the V6. On the TS the resonator box is between the air filter and throttle - adjacent to the expansion tank.

Hopefully a V6 owner will be along for you ...
Same place on a V6, its the box type things on the straight bit of pipe

·
Registered
798 Posts
The "resonator" strictly speaking is the box that sits alongside the rest of the intake. The plastic stuff that goes from the air filter box around in the bumper to take in air somewhere, yes I definitely would like to remove that! Maybe remove it and then put just a straight piece of piping there or something, to avoid sucking in water since it's so low.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i removed it to do bumper work, it gave me clear veiw of the air filter and it is LOW so removal is not suitable, i am sure i put it back better than it was before deffinatly no air getting in now to where it connects to the air filter housing and then there is a piece of tubing that sits above bumper mount but isnt actually catching air as bumper is blocking of air to it

guess thats what was causing my gorgeous exhaust note was on in take side of things really

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no it surly has another function because if that was the case the air filter housing would just be a sealed unit ??? wouldnt it ??? rather than having this resonator atachment

this has got holes and compartments ??? its weired

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the holes though are in the picture at bumper level from a pipe thats 130 mm or so conects to the air filer housing at bottom and then ends up venting up at that hole protuding from by bumper

·
Registered
798 Posts
It's a 'Helmholtz intake resonator silencer'.. it silences.. google it..
I have also read that it keeps air in the system for better response when you're off the throttle and then really hit it, there's some reserve air in the system??

·
Registered
221 Posts
My spider sounds a lot louder after 6000rpm after removing the resonator.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
removal of all the pipework though will expose the air filter as that is where all the pipes lead to so removal is a great way to get loads of undesirable road debris into the engine

i think its there as some form of induction sound tuning mechanism it must be

that`s why my sound has changed nothing else could have done it, also if you fit and after market induction kit all the factory fit air filter and resonator box is all bypassed

·
Registered
236 Posts
The resonator box as said above is there to reduce noise and to help avoid sucking up of water etc. They normally sit in the front bumper to also shield it from water and rubbish. If you remove it, it will indeed help with airflow as the resonator boxes from standard arent usually (not in all cases though) the best of designs and they can restrict air. Removing will obviously give a better flow of air to the engine but it comes with a draw back. The draw back is that you need to fit a flexible air pipe from the filter or air box and then channel down around and then you must come up with the air feed to try to avoid water getting into the flexi pipe. This will cause water to collect in the u-bend so maintenance is required when doing this mod periodically. You will suck water without the resonator box being there.

It always makes me laugh when I see people running air feeds straight out the front of their cars, dont they know its sucking rubbish and water straight into the air system??? rather them than me but I feel sorry for the next owner of the car as often these mods are removed before selling on :(.

As for the TS there is a second resonator that sits second to the throttle body. This is there to help also with noise pollution. But as AndyAlfa said to me recently I wonder if on the TS that it is also doubling up as a oil catch to catch any oil passing back through the air system from the breather to protect the MAF. Personally I'm unsure of that but it is a strong possibilty but when removing all these air pipes to do my silicon mod I didnt find any history of oil creeping into the pipes from the breather.

·
Registered
798 Posts
removal of all the pipework though will expose the air filter as that is where all the pipes lead to so removal is a great way to get loads of undesirable road debris into the engine

i think its there as some form of induction sound tuning mechanism it must be

that`s why my sound has changed nothing else could have done it, also if you fit and after market induction kit all the factory fit air filter and resonator box is all bypassed
Pretty sure the filter is there to get rid of "road debris", no offense.. Water however, is something to be looking out for. If the filter is more exposed to the elements then it will need replacing more often than standard.

The piping has a little rectangle cut out of the bottom to drain water, if you were wanting to mod your intake piping it would be best to retain that. Can run ag-pipe to an intake and it will still work. I was about to take mine off but then realised I had to remove the bumper and even then I didn't have any piping to run as I wouldn't have the airfilter just sitting out in the open and low (however a pipe going to it is fine I reckon).

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
quote=fantom alfa;4590618]i think there are a lot of assumptions made about air-intakes that are "received wisdom" and assumed to be elementary, but may not be correct. Have a look at autozine technical school. Removal of the resonance boxes is not necessarily a good thing.[/quote]

+1 :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts