Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
.....Am......C.......D...........F....Am.......E.....Am....
My father was a gambling man down in New Orleans.

;)

·
Registered
568 Posts
He was an Army conscript then joined the Liverpool fire brigade.

After moving to Coventry in the 60's he worked at Roots/Chrysler then we moved to Cornwall where he started his own panel beating and spraying business.

He once set fire to my Mk1 Capri whilst welding underneath, but thanks to his fire brigade training a disaster was narrowly averted. :D

He's retired now.

I love my dad. :inlove:

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
21 years in the services then public sector until an early demise due to smoking. I think growing up in married quarters may have influenced my dislike of tattoos. I associate them with burly servicemen with muscles.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Co-incidence Keithy, my Dad was a boy messenger, too, then graduated to being a telegraphist before conscription during the War. Went back to the PO after the war but as he was by then married with a child (my elder sister) he couldn't earn enough - so he became a commercial traveller for many years, before returning to the Civil Service in the 60s, working for the National Assistance Board as it then was, before becoming DHSS. Worked there until he retired around 1980.

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
My Dad started his working career with AP Lockheed as a draughtsman
in Leamington Spa. He worked mainly on hydraulics and was involved
in designing the undercarriages of aircraft such as the Beaufighter and,
after the war, the DeHavilland Comet.

Lockheeds moved him to Liverpool which is where I was born. During his
time in Liverpool, he was offered a move to Derby by Rolls Royce to work
in their newly formed Nuclear Division in 1959. They produced nuclear
reactor cores for submarines.

He retired from there in 1991 by which time he headed the core production.

He had many hobbies which also went a long way towards defining him as
a person. He was a talented photographer, artist, sculptor, ornamental
turner, gave up his ambition to be a grand master at chess when I came
along, won prizes for his topiary, kept bonsai trees, a keen driver of both
motorbikes and cars, tennis player, snooker player and many others.

But above all he could not be equalled as a loving father who devoted
himself to guiding my brother and I on our way into this life. He became
a somewhat broken man when my brother died in 1999, unable to deal
with the sudden loss and at the same time, developed Parkinson's
Disease.

Sadly his body could fight it no longer and he passed away on New Years
Eve Day, 2009.

There was so much to my Dad that I cannot fit it all in this post. He gave
me so much and I miss him terribly.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
A Vicar

Did me a lot of good eh? :lol:

D

·
0 Posts
My Dad is a agricultural mechanic, has been since he left school at 15 years old. He turns 65 in April and is looking forward to a retirement of restoring old tractors and trucks.
He is one of the funniest people I know, probably where I get my sense of humour from too. He and my brother will be sharing best man duties when I get married in 2014. He's a legend is my Dad :D

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
My dad was a Mechanic and an absolute legend according to everyone who knew him. He died in 1993 when I was a kid. Stepdad is a cool bloke though; Research Scientist doing MRI and in the Guiness Book of Records as discovering the largest cavern in the world in Sarawak, Borneo.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
My Dad is or was a joiner. From leaving school at 14 until retiring about 5 years ago at 75. He is one of those people that can just put their hand to anything.

I always find doing any DIY jobs (home when I had one :p or mechanical) easy if I know he is just a phonecall away.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
My dads retired now

He started work as lad of 13 (left school early) in a butchers , he then started to buy a rear his own pigs and sell them on for slaughter . He then built up a very successful business collecting the fat and bone waste from butchers shops along with this he bought hides and skins , salted them up and sold them to the leather trade . In the 70's with the fat & bone going well he started his skip hire as well . In the 80's he sold up and bought a knackers yard in Redditch and sold dogmeat and anything else he could get his hands on .

He's always lived life to the full and enjoyed his shooting , be it clays , deer , wildboar, rabbits .

He also enjoyed fox hunting and still follows them now . And is still a tatter in his 70's

I have had a bit of a Steptoe upbringing .

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Drinks too much and embarrasses everyone :(

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
My Dad was a merchant seaman from 18 till he was 23, the only reason he stopped going away to sea was because I was born, he was home on leave when I was born but had 6 months away at sea a few days after I was born.

I screamed in terror every time he came home from sea because he was just a stranger I didn't remember, he said it nearly broke his heart, so he gave up a life of adventure on the high seas to be my dad :D

He spent the next 45 years driving buses round Liverpool to give me and my brother and sister a decent start in life :)

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
my dad started off as a cattle herder, out in all weathers....he was born in 1914.....he then caught rheumatic fever which left him with a weak chest and asthma, he started work in a butchers shop in town and was a slaughterman, he used to make all the black pudding, brawn etc for the shop, he was made manager and got a gold watch for his 25th year there.....he was then given the opportunity to rent his own shop which he built up along with my mother and later on me, my brothers werent interested, i loved being "up the shop" with my dad, he taught me loads, we worked together on a sunday cutting up lambs, monday cutting up pigs and tuesday the beef came in....

my dad worked hard all his life and always told me he would never live to see retirement as later in life his chest was really bad, my dad died in january 1978 2 wks before what we thought was his 65th birthday, when we got his birth certificate we actually found out he was born in 1913 and had been 65 for nearly a year and didnt realise, he was a silly old sod but i loved, adored and respected him beyond anyone else in my life, he toayght me so much about values and self respect and about being a butcher and so wish he could have met my kids, i never got on with my mother which is sad but my dad was the best dad in the world and i still miss him loads....hugz

1 - 20 of 34 Posts