Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
You should be OK at that year but I'd take it on a test drive, of less than perfect roads, and check for any rattles. Also make sure 1st & 2nd are smooth.

Mileage seems very low.

·
Registered
38,661 Posts
A low mileage might be a bad sign. If it has done mainly short or town journeys it is more likely there could be clutch dmf or dpf faults. Plus all of the other issues you ofter get on a car which isnt always warmed up fully. I certainly wouldnt pay extra for low mileage over average mileage.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
A visual check of the alloys should cover that. If immaculate condition then either its not been parked that frequently or has at least been done with care.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the 1.6 JTDM, I think its a good little engine. I am only 3 months into ownership but can say I have been very happy with its performance and economy. I wish it had a little more poke at times but tax/running costs really are very good. Around town I have never got below mid 40's mpg. Its not the most refined engine however and on first start up it is particularly rough. My wing mirrors shake quite noticeably for example.

If I was to look again I would want to take one of the petrol's for a test drive to compare. Unless you were doing a lot of miles I think the petrol is meant to be a fantastic engine. Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for your advice. The alloys tip is a great one! I think we will look for a petrol over a diesel.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Have a think about what type of trips/mileage your wife will want to do.
If you do lots of short trips 5-15km, the diesel is not going to get warmed up properly, which causes the DPF to need regeneration which means dumping raw fuel to burn off the particulates.
I know a few people who bought diesel cars and discovered that the DPF regeneration cycle really eats into the fuel saving.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Have a think about what type of trips/mileage your wife will want to do.
If you do lots of short trips 5-15km, the diesel is not going to get warmed up properly, which causes the DPF to need regeneration which means dumping raw fuel to burn off the particulates.
I know a few people who bought diesel cars and discovered that the DPF regeneration cycle really eats into the fuel saving.
DPFs are supposed to run, its part of a diesel and isn't a bad thing, the bad thing is when the DPF generations can't or don't take place.

My understanding is that driving short trips means the DPF can't regenerate because it cant reach a temprature that will allow it too, and that will ultimately cause the DPF to fault/block = expensive problems.

·
Registered
38,661 Posts
I think the Giulietta's DPF is better than most, and that it is rare for it to give problems, even when used for shorter trips.

The main issue with the diesel engines IMO is the noise.

No one could accuse them of sounding nice.

I am still pleased with mine though, the mix of performance and economy is very good.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Disagree with the last poster. When I first got mine my mate got in and we went to the pub. We were half way there before I told him it was a diesel and he was gobsmacked. He had assumed it was a petrol. This guy is a courier and drives a a derv ivaco van all day. He said now that you can tell is a diesel.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Disagree with the last poster. When I first got mine my mate got in and we went to the pub. We were half way there before I told him it was a diesel and he was gobsmacked. He had assumed it was a petrol. This guy is a courier and drives a a derv ivaco van all day. He said now that you can tell is a diesel.
Come off it! ?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Actually, I've had similar experiences myself with passengers in the car thinking it's a petrol.

For some reason though the Alfa diesels are really noisy when you're outside the car - especially when first started.

I realized this on my first service. Whilst in waiting room, I heard this engine start up sounding like a bag of nails. At first I was confused as couldn't work out what vehicle it could possibly be until in sudden horror realized it was mine! :biglaugh:

You do get used to it though. :)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Actually, I've had similar experiences myself with passengers in the car thinking it's a petrol.

For some reason though the Alfa diesels are really noisy when you're outside the car - especially when first started.

I realized this on my first service. Whilst in waiting room, I heard this engine start up sounding like a bag of nails. At first I was confused as couldn't work out what vehicle it could possibly be until in sudden horror realized it was mine! :biglaugh:

You do get used to it though. :)
and even then there are far worse sounding diesels... Heard a fabia earlier today in the supermarket carpark, might have been a 1.2. Had to turn around and look as I figured it was actually a farm tractor.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Interesting comments regarding diesel noise, my Brera sounds like a tin of nuts and bolts at tick over but on the move it does sound quite nice, very smooth with a pleasant grumble under load. Having said that I cannot stand the sound of the diesel to the point that I am thinking of making a change. I am looking at Giulietta 1.4 TB. I don't believe it will have the presence of the Brera but it will be easier for my wife to drive.

·
Registered
497 Posts

Exactly the same experience many times, and often from relative petrol heads within the company where I work, all were shocked when I said it was a diesel!

Personally the only time I notice it myself is when i'm moving off steadily in first, second, third, forth, fifth etc it all sounds 'normal' and non diesely, I dont know how Fiat have done it, but they really have!

·
Registered
38,661 Posts
I don't find mine too noisy outside of the car, except when it is really cold.

But with the windows up and the radio off you can certainly hear it is a Diesel inside, even when warmed up.

I heard a rumour the later ones have a bit more sound proofing?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts