Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Looks like a nice car. There are so many things on a 166 that need 100% checking inside and out, if you miss something it can cost you big money. Make sure the car is in order and the paper work to! Make it clear about what kind and how long your guarantee is and get that in writing. I would not worry about the landline deal, landlines are fast becoming history. Check out his place of business, does it look like its there to stay or is he selling cars off of some back lot from a shack.

A BIG plus is if you can get someone who has a 166 to go along with you when shopping a used 166.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Give Pomeo a nudge , hes is all things 166 to all men :) he will put you straight on the do's and donts .

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
it is in the best posible colour IMO, decent price

condition wise its hard to tell, the only observations I have are the spec seems pretty low, no leather, no 17in alloys, no mention of CD player, DSP, xenons or crucially service history.

I did see a shark fin on the roof though so it mau have satnav, then again the ciarette lighter was missing, which suggests a TonTom or similar.

Overall looks good, the lack of equipment can be rectified through ebay and here, certainly worth a look.

HTH

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Give Pomeo a nudge , hes is all things 166 to all men :) he will put you straight on the do's and donts .
:lol::cheese:

Do buy it
Dont sell it.:thumbs:

As the partrooper:eek: sorry paralegal said to me after my timing belt failure 2 months into a 6 month warranty....
In proper laywer speak and accent."Well Mr Pomeo what did you expect, after all you did buy a second hand vehicle"

Me " Can I be honest with you"

Him in a deep laywer experienced tone "Course you can"

Me "Well buying from a trader I expected to be of reasonable quality and at least fit for purpose " (NB I hud been on to trading standards...theory exceptional ..practice pathetic)

Him " err cough splutter (to himself oh sheet what do I do now) err emm try again for the warranty and if you have no joy get back to us.

Me I'll be phoning you back next week then... i did .(Saga)

So go for it not as good a deal as pomeo or lacey but then times are a changing.

I got Lacey 2006 for 2.5k with around the same mileage as this one.If she had continued as per her schedule up till I got her she'd be well over 200k now.(Mileage that is BUT to me priceless)(NB I am a wee bitty biased as my fellow sub mariner says;):cheese:)

I took her for a real test drive after being not necessarily stung with Pomeo but lesson learned.....Drove her the way Alfa's just love to be driven...Only faults...Aircon not work and the radiator overheating in a queue of traffic...The dealer said I'll do the aircon but not the radiator....that's fine by me ...He did ..the aircon guy didn't and I ended up doing both.

Give her a good look over.Check the tyres for inner edge wear...check to see if timing belt done and heater matrix esp as she is a sportronic and radiator.
If not ...i like this one...negotiate a big discount.:D and learn to do it yourself if you are at all handy.:thumbs:

Thats about it really.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
looks nice but history etc is all important! Belts done? Suspension work? Does seem to be a poverty spec one though with no leather etc...prob no satnav as the roof aerial was fitted to all later cars i think....

·
Registered
741 Posts
^^^ as above. Nice colour and looks okay from here, quite new too so check for hyper road tax bracket. My 2002 is only just on the right side.

:( Quite low spec car - :) leather and wheels can be retro-fitted. :( DSP and Nav are possible, but impractical.

History and close up condition important. Need to ensure nothing too big is due to fail in first 12 months.
Cambelt vital, Heater matrix also on a sportronic.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
all post march 2001 cars (Y reg onwards) up untill 2006 are in the £225 per year bracket but there's a danger that they could remove this exemption and apply the full CO2 related banding to the 166 which puts all post 2001 cars (inc twink) in the 420ish band....

·
Registered
404 Posts
If it has sat nav I'll buy the reader off you! Or do you a part ex for for my 166 reader plus a few quid!!!!
Currently downloading what I hope to be the UK/Irl 2010 disk! I will report back and share out.

Sorry, G3's only!!!

G

·
i have been talking to the trader about this one....

Not a lot of history to go with the car, no mention of a cam-belt and when asked there was nothing in the way of an actual receipt that would back up any replacement so budget for that to be done.

It is a 03 car and so will have the higher tax cost, hence the reason it is worth less than a y/51 reg car
No Leather
The paint looks to be aubergine but is actually black, i would say the paintwork will have a lot of random swirls in it and so it is refracting the light in all sorts of directions, to get it looking really nice you will have to have the car machine polished.

Given that the cambelt nearly definitely needs doing, and there is a possibility of the rear suspension requires attention it could be seen as a little overpriced

·
Registered
908 Posts
The paint is called Volcano Black (Nero Vulcano on the paint code sticker), its a very deep purple colour which looks amazing in sunlight almost bronze from certain angles. When you look at the paint close up you can actually see gold and purple flecks in the paint.

Its the same colour as my 166:cool: It really needs cream leather to add contrast but that can be something to add at a later date.

G

·
The paint is called Volcano Black (Nero Vulcano on the paint code sticker), its a very deep purple colour which looks amazing in sunlight almost bronze from certain angles. When you look at the paint close up you can actually see gold and purple flecks in the paint.

Its the same colour as my 166:cool: It really needs cream leather to add contrast but that can be something to add at a later date.
that would explain the change in colour, thanks :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
It is a 03 car and so will have the higher tax cost, hence the reason it is worth less than a y/51 reg car
No - it will be the same tax as all post 2001 cars (Y reg onwards).....the higher bands don't kick in till post 2006 (i think)

G

·
No - it will be the same tax as all post 2001 cars (Y reg onwards).....the higher bands don't kick in till post 2006 (i think)
sorry that's what i mean, just didn't phrase it too well....

it's still a bit of a jump from the pre 2001 cars though and the stigma has killed the value of 2001 cars, great for buyers, crap for sellers though

The government reached the compromise and quietly introduced it, unlike the into that they screamed and shouted about

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
it's not actually a huge jump at the mo (about 30 quid?) but the main problem is that the threat to basically double it is still there...the X reg cars and earlier don't ever have to worry about that as they don't have an official CO2 output :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts