Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

So i just looked at the thread about FCA's sales in SA and I think we can all admit that Alfa is doing really poorly.

Do you think alfa has a long-term future in SA? The reason I ask is because Citreon and GM [both manufacturers that sell more than alfa] have pulled out of SA citing poor sales as the reason. How can alfa survive if they have such poor sales here?

Even die-hard alfisti seem to be getting sick and tired of the poor service that many of the dealers offer. If the people who love the brand are getting fed up, then how can the brand possibly attract new customers, many of whom already have a sceptical view of the company.

I probably sound a bit pessimistic, but it just seems like it's a matter of time before FCA decide that they'd rather focus on their more popular brands.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
personally i believe alfa will eventually die off in SA, they wont make a car that is affordable enough for the masses with an alfa badge and fiat wont fill that gap either because of south african toyota vw cultural bias as a whole, its an unwinnable battle the stubborn mindset of a typical south african.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
It doesn't help that the car manufacturing subsidies are to FCA's detriment. If those got scrapped, they'd be able to compete much easier.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mid size sedans the size of Giulia are leaving the country. Honda Accord, Peugeot 508, Citroën C5, Renault Laguna, Camry, Sonata, Optima, Mazda 6 have all disappeared.

Alfa is definitely tick ticking to the end of line

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Mid size sedans the size of Giulia are leaving the country. Honda Accord, Peugeot 508, Citroën C5, Renault Laguna, Camry, Sonata, Optima, Mazda 6 have all disappeared.

Alfa is definitely tick ticking to the end of line

Oh wow! I hadn't even realised that they weren't selling the Optima and Sonata any longer.

So what's left? The usual suspects from BMW and Merc, safeguarded by their subsidised local production facilities. Plus Volvo S60 and Jaguar XE. What am I missing?

So it's all up to the Stelvio?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I do agreed to a certain extent, Alfa will become very niche, probably only sell the top of the line model at the Maserati dealership, I.e. 4C, Giulia QV and Stelvio QV only. All the normal versions will not be imported.

I supposed we can still keep our current cars so long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@bnr good thread. Exactly what's holding me back from signing for a Giulia. I want to and need the replace my car soonest. As much as I want a Giulia, at this rate I'll probably end up in 3-series or c-class.

·
Registered
139 Posts
@bnr good thread. Exactly what's holding me back from signing for a Giulia. I want to and need the replace my car soonest. As much as I want a Giulia, at this rate I'll probably end up in 3-series or c-class.
Them leaving after I buy would not bug me that much. It will only keep the car fresh for longer. Look at the 159, it came at the same time as this ( https://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz/c-class/2006/ ). Preserved by the lack of a new model. Giulia will age just the same when the newer, fancier model is introduced in 5 year's time. Unless they close shop before then.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
thing is if we all panic now and say no i cant buy a giulia because of that then we are only cementing the failure of the brand quicker, if you buy one, get out there and shine then maybe you would rather get some more people you come in contact with interested in the giulia also

·
Registered
10 Posts
How is it the customer's duty to make sure a brand/model is successful? Alfa Romeo need to get their act together and get their service levels at least on par, with the competition before they'll be taken seriously.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
thing is if we all panic now and say no i cant buy a giulia because of that then we are only cementing the failure of the brand quicker, if you buy one, get out there and shine then maybe you would rather get some more people you come in contact with interested in the giulia also

Agree we basically making it a self fulfilling prophecy.

ARs problems are much deeper than services at dealers. It's quality perceptions, lack product range, infrequent product updates, pricing to name but a few.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
Reactions: Nic Roets

·
Registered
10 Posts
Prices are what they are I guess, but if I'm going to spend 650k plus on a car I want some sort of assurance the after sales service is what it should be.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
It's not just Alfa, all car prices a ridiculously crazy now days. Over a million for a 3.0D X5. Almost 300K for a Kia Rio. Its madness i tell you.
It's not really, though.

If you compare over time, in real terms, adjusting for inflation, cars in South Africa have become cheaper than they used to be. Even more so if you adjust for quality.

Maybe not in the last five years or so, but over the last ten, fifteen, twenty years, definitely.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Im saying over the last 3 year or so.
Oh, definitely over the last 3 years or so. But that's because of the benevolent overlords and their great economic plans that are so successful and not at all corrupt, inspiring confidence to invest in rand-underpinned assets!

Halfway through 2014, four years ago, a dollar cost about R10.50. Now it costs R13.25. That is an increase of 26%. Over the last 5 years it went from about R8.40 to R13.25. That is 58% more expensive!

For the Euro it went from about R14.10 to R15.05 now. Not such a huge change, but still 7% more expensive, and also, over the last 5 years it went from R10.10 to R15.05, which is 49% more expensive!

The pound is the only one where it hasn't gone too badly over the last 3 years (mostly because of the Brexit outcome collapsing the pound) and a pound is now actually cheaper in rand terms than it was in mid-2014. Still, from mid-2014 to late 2015, it did go from about R17.50 to around R23. Since mid 2012, five years ago, it has also still gone from about R12.85 to R17.10, which is a 33% increase. Not many cars, if any, are imported from Britian, though.

So yeah, in dollar and euro terms, over the last five years, imported things have become 58% and 49% more expensive just based on exchange rates alone. If you were earning R300 000 a year in 2012 and you got a 7% raise every year (which would have beaten local consumer price inflation) you'd now be getting R420 750, which is an increase of only 40%. And over the same period of time, the government has been taking about 2% more of your income in tax, so if you lop that off the R420k, you are left with only about R412 300, so that's an increase of only 37.5%.

Income went up by 37.5%, but things priced in dollars and euros went up by (in most cases by at least) 50% to 60%. In many cases these increases would have come through on a delayed basis, as importers of goods, especially in competitive sectors, often eat the increased costs for a while though lower margins and cutting other costs, before they pass them on to their clients.

So yeah, it would not be at all surprising if the prices of cars in South Africa increased at rates outstripping general price inflation in the last 3 to 5 years.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is actually why I started the thread. I'm pretty reluctant to go ahead and purchase a giulia at the moment. I love the car, but I'd like to feel confident that alfa's actually gonna stick around. I'm still happy with my GMA for now, so I'm not looking at a 3 series or c class yet, the guilia is the only car that i would consider at this point, but I just don't know how long alfa is gonna be around.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts