Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

12k down the road and the Bridgestone Potenzas have turned to slicks (nearly) have been told by local tyre place that the Michelin PS2 is the tyre to go for.

I need a tyre that will last a bit longer than 12K and if possible be quieter on the road.

Any one any experience of these tyres ? or recommendations.

Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dunlop SP01's they are great. I have heard bad reports about Dunlop in the past so have always avoided them but these had a great review in the 'Which?' guide so I thought I would give them a go.

Great in the wet, EXTREMELY quite (my last tyres were P6000), and a good price too. Id recomend to anyone.

Also National Tyres do a price match and beat the price of even internet quotes as long as they can do local fitting. I got a very good deal !!

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Smudger said:
.... have been told by local tyre place that the Michelin PS2 is the tyre to go for.
Depends where you go ... at one you will get Michelin, at another Pirelli, another something else. Kwik-fit excepted: whatever's been on the shelf longest! ;) Some of the big chains are owned by the tyre manufacturers so they have their preferences. It is difficult to get an independent view ... and a lot will depend on the car, your driving style, size of your overdraft ... etc.

Personally I wouldn't put Michelins on ANY car. Experience (not on Alfa btw): (1) Hit pothole and blew tyre .. wall split!! (2) Handling went to pot as the compound was too hard. I've had good experience from Dunlops: SP8000 and SP9000 on my 156. 9000's stick like glue but wear quickly. 8000 have given good allround handling and resonably long life. Haven't looked at the SP1 yet.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
PS2 came standard of my GT and I fitted them to my GTA when the S-02pp wore out, I felt that the PS2 was the better tyre not only in grip but in tyre life, s-02 did 8k on a set of four the PS2 did another 8k on but looked to have another 8k left in them, never heard any mag reviews etc. commenting on Dunlop tyres in comparison to the likes of Toyo, goodyear, bridgestone or Michelin which makes me wonder if they have a competetitive sports tyre.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
sandys said:
PS2 came standard of my GT .......
My GT has Goodyear Eagle F1's as standard, they seem pretty good, reasonably quiet (except concrete motoways) solid in the wet, done 12.5k miles and the treads are showing approx 5.5mm on the rears & 3-3.5mm on the fronts, not sure if thats whats expected after 12.5k.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to admit that now i'm not sure what to do,

I have always put michelins on my other cars and my last 156 SW came with them on from the factory. They do seem to last longer.

I guess i'll have to make a decision and post the results in another 12k.

(Here's an idea, if there are any moderators reading. How about starting up a tyre data page so users of the forum can post their exsperiences of tyres they have had on the cars ? Keep it simple with perhaps just car model, tyre model, driving style (Mild,Moderate,Mad), Distance coverd and tread depth remaining.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts