Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
My car was resprayed back in May and nothing has been done to it since the spray booth other than a couple of washes. The painter says its not his practice to polish cars after respray as it affects the long term durability of the paint.
The question is, How do it treat a newly painted car? what kind of products would be the best to use for polish and wax?
Thanks and regards
Kostas

·
Registered
988 Posts
I am a very long way from any proper knowledge about respraying but it does seem to be common practise to polish the paint in order to flatten it down. This is why most respray job are delivered with minor swirls. I would just ask the painter how long you should wait before using a wax.

Washing is fine as long as your not using some ultra harsh shampoo. There are some waxes such as Optimum Car Wax (no solvents or abrasives) which can be used on fresh paint but I would just see what the bodyshop says

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
New paint is ok to wash after approx 24 hours, especially if it was heat dried with lamps at the bodyshop which it probably would be.
But you should wait around 90 days before applying any waxes/sealants as this may hinder the curing process and stop the paint fully hardening as it will still be giving out small amounts of solvent as it hardens, then after that you can really treat it as normal paint, the bodyshop should really have given you a guide on how to treat the paint though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts