Alfa Romeo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

· Registered
13,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
With AR I'll 1st want to see a produciton car being built with the 1750 engine and TcT in a Giulietta...look how they got all MiTo owners hot under the collar when they had a video of the MiToGTA and then...wait for it...wait...didn't build the MiTo GTA. *******s

· Registered
4,749 Posts
With AR I'll 1st want to see a produciton car being built with the 1750 engine and TcT in a Giulietta...look how they got all MiTo owners hot under the collar when they had a video of the MiToGTA and then...wait for it...wait...didn't build the MiTo GTA. *******s
But they did build it...

they just didn't sell it :cheese:

....yet ;)

· Registered
3,735 Posts
Ian, I know you didn't mean any offence. If a car has any flaws, I will accept.
Anyway, I do love the Giuli to bits.

· Registered
2,427 Posts
Alfa said they 1st want to release the tbi+tct combo in the 4C before any other car, thats why...
:cheese: where did they say that.

Its more a case of TCT being developed for new 1750TBi (which the 4C is the first user of) and therefore the first TCT+TBi combo.

From what I gather the TCT was tested on the old TBi, but when the 4C came along, they stopped that testing and then further tested the TCT using the 4C and its new engine.

So who knows perhaps the GQV TCT will be using the new TBI since most of the TCT testing for the TBI took place using the new engine.

I know Pratola Serra is pumping out a large number of new TBI's as we speak :thumbs:

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Alfa will never let it make max power so soon after development. They will keep bringing out updates and with it increased power. Makes no sense to bring it out in max tune straight away..
If AR just open the engine to 2000cc with no change, you have 194kW, which is where they should have been at the start to be REALLY competitive on performance level.

Al they need to make a GTA is to fit a more aggressive intake cam and turbo one size up for 225kW. If they worry about longevity they can lower the compression ratio a tad.

Guess what the reaction would have been towards the brand?

· Registered
2,427 Posts
If AR just open the engine to 2000cc with no change, you have 194kW, which is where they should have been at the start to be REALLY competitive on performance level.

Al they need to make a GTA is to fit a more aggressive intake cam and turbo one size up for 225kW. If they worry about longevity they can lower the compression ratio a tad.

Now this a totally agree with..

I asked Alfa why don't they make a 2.0l MA turbo for GGTA and then have that for mid range Giulia or 4C GTA or 'Stradale'

· Registered
3,735 Posts

The reaction would be explosive! More Alfas would be flying off the showroom floors...and it would put the Gti in its place!

· Registered
13,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Good on Corrie...are you tellling me they made this engine 1750 simply because of a name??? They are stupid, and don't talk about heritage please, this is not the 70's 80's or 90's when people used to buy based on heritage and sporting history. Merc AMG has 6.3 heritage, but they are running 5.5 bi turbo's...and guess what, it sells!

· Registered
2,524 Posts
Good one Corrie...are you tellling me they made this engine 1750 simply because of a name??? They are stupid!
That is what I am saying from the first day the GQV came out. Instead of making it the front runner in the 2ltr turbo races, they tried to compete with an 1800cc. Like going to a gunfight with a knife????

The only advantage is they can upgrade to 2ltr later and sell a few more cars to Alfisti who already have a G and who want the bigger version. By then they will just play catch-up again as the leaders will be further ahead. The moment your use bean counters to decide technical spec, it is too late to notice you got your head up your a$$.

The MA is not a option, it is not a direct injection engine. When boost get serious it will not be able to compete. It is only good as an effective fuel saver as long as it do not work hard.

· Registered
2,427 Posts
Good on Corrie...are you tellling me they made this engine 1750 simply because of a name??? They are stupid, and don't talk about heritage please, this is not the 70's 80's or 90's when people used to buy based on heritage and sporting history. Merc AMG has 6.3 heritage, but they are running 5.5 bi turbo's...and guess what, it sells!
Yes Lance the 1750TBi is just 1750cc because of heritage

· Registered
348 Posts
Maybe I'm just crazy but I don't think the GQV needs more power...the torque it has from 3000rpm is just crazy, you can only use 50% of it 90% of the time driving around.

I don't think the market for people who want 220kW+ in a hatchback is all that important to a large company's bottom line? I may be wrong here but that's my opinion.

What I would rather see is a G GTA with a 150kg weight reduction, TCT box and higher redline, which would probably give you 10 or so extra kW anyway. That would make it so much better to drive. The old GTA had a smaller engine than the 2000GTV of the time but a serious weight reduction and a high redline...and those 2 things are what made it such a superstar to drive. Imagine a 1750TBi howling up to 7000rpm? Glorious.

· Registered
3,092 Posts
That is what I am saying from the first day the GQV came out. Instead of making it the front runner in the 2ltr turbo races, they tried to compete with an 1800cc. Like going to a gunfight with a knife????

The only advantage is they can upgrade to 2ltr later and sell a few more cars to Alfisti who already have a G and who want the bigger version. By then they will just play catch-up again as the leaders will be further ahead. The moment your use bean counters to decide technical spec, it is too late to notice you got your head up your a$$.

The MA is not a option, it is not a direct injection engine. When boost get serious it will not be able to compete. It is only good as an effective fuel saver as long as it do not work hard.
every spec I've seen for the 1750TBi says it is direct injection ??

· Registered
2,427 Posts
Ian beat me to it

· Registered
7,642 Posts
Maybe I'm just crazy but I don't think the GQV needs more power...the torque it has from 3000rpm is just crazy, you can only use 50% of it 90% of the time driving around.

I don't think the market for people who want 220kW+ in a hatchback is all that important to a large company's bottom line? I may be wrong here but that's my opinion.

What I would rather see is a G GTA with a 150kg weight reduction, TCT box and higher redline, which would probably give you 10 or so extra kW anyway. That would make it so much better to drive. The old GTA had a smaller engine than the 2000GTV of the time but a serious weight reduction and a high redline...and those 2 things are what made it such a superstar to drive. Imagine a 1750TBi howling up to 7000rpm? Glorious.
I agree except for the higher red line if it makes all its power at 6500 then 7000 is actually gonna be less power

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.