Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What do they know that we don't?

2540 Views 67 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Ian Lusso
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

· Registered
3,735 Posts
Alfas are not marketed well in this country. That is a shame because even though the g may be flawed, the 159 is not. Especially when one considers the german products.
Exactly. Alfas are not marketed properly, not enough spent on advertising.couple that with GENERALLY crappy service from dealers and the very limited choice of models, how can u expect to achieve high sales targets?
Oh forgot, poorly trained sales staff with limited knowledge.

Btw, as a G owner, what are the G''s flaws? Do these flaws exist across the range?
Turbos popping? Hard seats? Insufficient powder?

· Registered
10,939 Posts
No was just running with Guili's quote on the g being flawed compared to the germans. I don't own one so won't comment and if I did own one, mine woukd not be flawed because I'd love it till it was perfect... :thumbs: don't mean to be peeing on anyone's parade, deffinitely not the intention.

· Registered
10,939 Posts
For a "qv" model the g is impressive in my books. The qv usually was a "sporty" car and a gta was an all out racer. So the qv in terms of performance is right where it should be. A gti competitor. A gta should be in the s3/golf R range where performance is concearned. And yes you can do a lot worse at the price.

· Registered
1,198 Posts
I was going the other way ..... Woodmead to Bedfordview, so there may have been another red one going the opposite way.... we must have passed each other somewhere:cool:
Eric, we are two red GQV in a row, I am sure we did cross our paths somewhere along N3!:lol:

· Registered
1,198 Posts
For a "qv" model the g is imoressive in my books. The qv usually was a "sporty" car and a gta was an all out racer. So the qv in terms of performance is right where it should be. A gti competitor. A gta should be in the s3/golf R range where performance is concearned. And yes you can do a lot worse at the price.
Ian, I agreed with you on the QV as GTi and GTA as R, that's why I am happy with my GQV, purely because I know my car is much better than the GTi (yes, this is very subjective)!:D

I really do not see the GTA will come out for the G, considering it has to have a 4wd system, where Fiat does not have at the moment. Although, a higher power engine would not be a problem for AR. But the current R&D budget are just for Guilia and the spider, probably the CUV too. So there are no money left for a GTA.

· Registered
2,427 Posts
How about that 223kw engine everybody has been talking about? That can work in a fwd car as Ford proved with the focus RS.
Alfa will never let it make max power so soon after development. They will keep bringing out updates and with it increased power. Makes no sense to bring it out in max tune straight away.

I would love nothing more than GGTA but suspect new 1750TBi with TCT is probably all we gonna get. As mentioned earlier.

· Registered
2,427 Posts
No was just running with Guili's quote on the g being flawed compared to the germans. I don't own one so won't comment and if I did own one, mine woukd not be flawed because I'd love it till it was perfect... :thumbs: don't mean to be peeing on anyone's parade, deffinitely not the intention.
Come now Ian.. :cheese:

We all know you are blinded by your love for the 159. But all cars are flawed. The 159 too. Hell yours didnt last to long before the turbo popped. And the initial 159 was even more "flawed". It was fat and slow. The 1750TBi was added to the range later (and made a big difference, lets say it made it less "flawed") and some weight was shaved off the "updated" 159.

Well the Giulietta is getting its little update soon (just like the 159 did) so im sure this will make the Giulietta less "flawed". My biggest issue with my Giulietta was the wipers you had to put into "park" before lifting them up. And the struggle to adjust the back support of the seat. Couldnt get my hand in to move it forward or back.

And Alfa can advertize all they want... People take 5min to read Hellopeter and all their advertizing efforts go down the drain.

· Registered
10,939 Posts
Dealer service and competence is the weakest link, but some dealerships (eg. Sandown in Tyger Valley) is absolutely superb. They don't have propper product knowledge, but will find out for you and get back to you with the correct info you sought. And they do the same in the service department. They even filled a friend's car with the oil of his choice after realising the balls-up with their recommended oils.

Their handling of my turbo replacement was also top notch. I had 3 courtesy cars as they needed the vehicles to rotate in order to havre them available for customers to view (they were demos after all) but everything was arranged very smoothly and on each visit I was updated on progress on my car without someone first having to find my car's job card and telling me what I could have read from it myself. That makes it more personal, more professional, and a good experience. The turbo was also fixed once, properly, and all bits including banjo joints, intercooler and oil cooler were replaced first time and oil was changed.

· Registered
2,427 Posts
I love Alfa more than most but the stories of dealerships and customer care issues makes it blatantly obvious that Alfa is gonna struggle to enter and stay in the premium end of the market. Since this is their aim they gonna have to do some serious work at dealers the world over (but especially in SA).

The treatment of 4C LE buyers so far is a good start.. :thumbs:

I suspect the 4C Tributo Giulietta will be the closest thing to a 4C GTA (unless they decide to throw the MA engine in it. The new 1750 would obviously be better since that's the actual engine in the 4C).

· Registered
13,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Alfas are not marketed well in this country. That is a shame because even though the g may be flawed, the 159 is not. Especially when one considers the german products.
WOaaaahhh, hold on there cowboy!!!:cheese:

That 159 has one BIG flaw...its old!:cheese:

· Registered
4,749 Posts
Their handling of my turbo replacement was also top notch. I had 3 courtesy cars as they needed the vehicles to rotate in order to havre them available for customers to view (they were demos after all) but everything was arranged very smoothly and on each visit I was updated on progress on my car without someone first having to find my car's job card and telling me what I could have read from it myself. That makes it more personal, more professional, and a good experience. The turbo was also fixed once, properly, and all bits including banjo joints, intercooler and oil cooler were replaced first time and oil was changed.
Only because you are who you are, a very large scary man :lol:

· Registered
13,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Anyway, its best to settle this and drive a German car...the GTi plastic irritates the HELL out of me, its fugly inside, yes the DSG box is brilliant, but we'll have a TcT(please God let AR make this a success) soon and then the G will be even better!

· Registered
2,427 Posts
Did you watch the 4C vid with the inside shots Lance? Did you see how rapid the gear changes are?

They did a lot of work on the TCT to get it right.

And Alfa said whatever they learn here will filter thru to the other cars.

So I am sure the TCT with 1750TBi will come pretty soon.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.