Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

does any one know what distance the police have to tail you before they bust you for speeding??
i was entering the A3 and i gave the GTA bit on the on ramp and took her to 70 before slowing to the speed limit (50). it was safe as there were no other cars apart from the cop behind me (no i didnt see him). cut a long story short i only sped along the on ramp so a distance of maybe 200yds, started to slow and then he pulled me over but didnt write me a ticket. i thought i was dead but he let me go so its got me thinking - nice guy or not far enough ?

cheers

·
Registered
793 Posts
Based on the fact they normally calculate your average speed over a certain distance, I think the norm is about a mile. Used to be done using fixed road-side objects (pole, bridge, etc) but I think they now use those white squares painted on the road - I'd say these are at least half a mile apart...

From what you describe, I think he was just 'having a word'; he'd quite clearly seen you fly off and there's nothing better to bring you back down to earth than a quiet word from PC Plod: "Now then sir – you know how fast you were going?" (one question that's impossible to answer without ending up guilty!)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Is that by Guildford? If so cops can be pretty strict, anywhere, but I can only assume that he just wanted to scare you into slowing down

·
Registered
793 Posts
... now use those white squares painted on the road
Quickly Googled it – used by Vascar equipped cars and choppers:
"Set at a minimum distance of 1/8 of a mile. The trap could be white squares or round markings on the road but could be any fixed objects of a known distance apart. A police officer uses a time recording device to record the length of time it takes a vehicle to travel through the speedtrap, once this has been done it is a matter of calculating time over distance to acquire the vehicles speed. This could even be done from a helicopter or an officer on foot."

·
Registered
170 Posts
i think its prob a case of he was being nice, because if he was doign 50 as well and he could see you pulling away, making it very clear that you were speeding. as far as i know all they need is 'in their expert opinion' to believe you were speeding and then they can book you, no recorded evidence is needed.
think you got away lucky with a talking to :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
i think its prob a case of he was being nice, because if he was doign 50 as well and he could see you pulling away, making it very clear that you were speeding. as far as i know all they need is 'in their expert opinion' to believe you were speeding and then they can book you, no recorded evidence is needed.
think you got away lucky with a talking to :thumbs:
Absolutely right, all it takes is 2 coppers to agree that you were speeding and they can book you (without any hard evidence at all)

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
thinking you are speedng is not enough...they have to have proof to stand up in court, a recording or whatever.

Just because uncle plod is doing 50 and you overtake him, doesn't mean anything, he then has to switch on his recording equipment and record. In court it is no good saying "he was doing over 50 mph, your honour"...what 51, maybe 52 or was it 152? To fine you they need a specific value.

I just contest everything, it is your right, query even so-called hard evidence (photos -could be a cloned car even, who knows?, whether their equipment is calibrated properly, and was used properly...mobile speed traps set up on the side of the road have to be parallel otherwise the reading is out),take some sammies and have a jolly day out if it ever comes to court. often it doesn't for minor things.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
A single crewed cop does need corroboration of his opinion, to successfully prosecute for excess speed. The corroboration is provided by, in the case of a following check, generally VASCAR (visual average speed computer and recorder) or the police vehicle's calibrated speedo.

VASCAR checks, as mentioned previously, are done over fixed points on the road's surface. These can be the white painted squares, but can also be visible repairs in the road, static shadows, or anything else that can be used to reliably measure a given distance. From memory, minimum distance for a following check, is 0.125 of a mile.

If there are two officers present however, then the second officer's opinion is corroboration of the first, and is sufficient to prosecute.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1/8 mile ?? i think i would have been short of that. if i'd keep the speed constant i would have done so lucky i slowed down and the cops were nice. The guy was clued on - he had activated the video (from what he said but not that i saw the tape)

i agree with contesting everything - make them work for the fine !

btw one thing that came kept coming up in the conversation was the phrase "hot car" - if the GTA didnt have the skirting i think he would have turned a blind eye all together. One cop turn the steering wheel to see if the tyres where rubbing on the guards and then thought they had proved it when it had wear on the out edges (this was thanks to track day not the guards) .

anyone else been harrassed in their "hot car" ??

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
anyone else been harrassed in their "hot car" ??
Oh yes most definitely, when I had a Fiesta RS Turbo a few years ago. Weirdly though, my everyday car has had the most attention - a green, lowered Skoda Felicia estate, which has "Slow & Low" on the back. Admittedly it doesn't always have the correct sized plates on but I've been fined for the plates numerous times, then in court at the start of the year (and yes i understand there is a ruling on numberplate sizes etc), & a couple of years ago they put a prohibition notice on it for the tyres fouling against the arches, which didn't hold up because it sailed through the re-tested MOT with it. Even the Regional inspectorate was called to double check the garages ruling.

What frustrates me (and I'm sure there are police officers reading this who own Alfas too) is that police don't seem to differentiate between who intends to cause trouble & who just wants to have a laugh & joke. My Skoda is a joke & I'm sure it seems weird to some people but I enjoy it (as much as my 166) but it seems to fit into "boy racer" category - how does Slow & Low fit into that?

Anyway it seems you are ok with the police ticking you off about it

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Perhaps he realised that a quick word avoided a lot of time to be spent on paperwork if he nicked you........... Time better spent on catching Muggers and Rapists.........

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Never had any hassle in the GTA, except for two passing coppers who I caught giving my car the once over. I got worried, thinking someone had hit it, ran over to chat to them - turns out he was just admiring it :cool:

Either way, I think its the type of car - I used to blast around in my (loud) Elise, especially in the summer, and I didn't even have a front plate - never pulled me once. "Max Power" type cars tho, with big wings/wheels seem to attract alot more attention.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was on the A303 heading to Devon a couple of weeks ago, quite late at night and a patrol car joined the carriageway just as I was passing in the offside lane. I pulled in to the nearside lane and not wanting to appear too guilty I stuck to a steady 75mph. They stuck to my bumper for about a mile and then pulled out to overtake but then stayed alongside me for quite some distance before finally passing and driving off into the distance. My wife and I got the impression they were checking out the car and just wanted to get a closer look! I was just waiting for the blue lights. Perhaps they were alfisti.:)

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I was on the A303 heading to Devon a couple of weeks ago, quite late at night and a patrol car joined the carriageway just as I was passing in the offside lane. I pulled in to the nearside lane and not wanting to appear too guilty I stuck to a steady 75mph. They stuck to my bumper for about a mile and then pulled out to overtake but then stayed alongside me for quite some distance before finally passing and driving off into the distance. My wife and I got the impression they were checking out the car and just wanted to get a closer look! I was just waiting for the blue lights. Perhaps they were alfisti.:)
Could have been my father in law, just converted him :lol: :thumbs:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im glad it wasnt just me being harrassed. i totally understand the "preventative" action in going over the car to make sure its roadworthy and wanting to see the driver. i think he was happy that im late 30's and not a 21 y.o boy racer.

ive polled my friends who own porsches and they say that unless they are going well over the limit they never get pulled over for the once over. one of them even dragged a cop at the lights (to the speedlimit ) and nothing was done. is this car prejudice ??
cheers
SMF

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Im pretty sure if the bill are not utilising any calibrated recording equipment they have to tail you for 3 tenths of a mile.
Unfortunately not, two coppers can be stood on the side of the road and if they agree you were speeding as you went past they can do you :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts