Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a Alfa 166 with a BE2580 unit without code. I assume it means I need a new unit.

What different generations of the ICS systems exists? How compatible are they?
Can I "upgrade" my car any way? Its a MY2004 with a separate CD changer in the trunk and a CD reader (I think) for the Navi, no integrated phone.

There are some units on ebay and honestly, I dont think the GPS can be "that good". So all I want is radio/stereo, clima control and the onboard computer-thing.

Cheers

Kent Johansson, new to the Alfa thing..

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
So, I have a Alfa 166 with a BE2580 unit without code. I assume it means I need a new unit.

What different generations of the ICS systems exists? How compatible are they?
Can I "upgrade" my car any way? Its a MY2004 with a separate CD changer in the trunk and a CD reader (I think) for the Navi, no integrated phone.

There are some units on ebay and honestly, I dont think the GPS can be "that good". So all I want is radio/stereo, clima control and the onboard computer-thing.

Cheers

Kent Johansson, new to the Alfa thing..
Naw Naw Naw Super Scarlet.

awe ewe knead is the CODE. Previous keeper/owner? supplying garage?Hidden in documention/receipts as Pomeo's was?

I think that its jist the ionternal gubbins that's different....externally just the same...Howver Anonymous and Exo R oor Wizards in that field.

Is the ICS working just now..IF so don't let battery run flat OR disconnect.Because then code will be required.
Hope this helps....The early 60 version there is a code calc BUTT the 80 version requires decoding.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...ode-for-alfa-romeo-166-a-27.html#post10781977

Pomeo
Welcome aboard.:thumbs:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awe ewe knead is the CODE. Previous keeper/owner? supplying garage?Hidden in documention/receipts as Pomeo's was?
Good one, shall take a 2nd look in the manuals. But I fear its lost, since I bought the car from the first owner and he claimed to have no clue about the code :(

Is the ICS working just now..IF so don't let battery run flat OR disconnect.Because then code will be required.
Nope, dead as the parrot was in the Monte Python scene. I have the unit on the desk next to me so I assume it hasnt seen power in a while - maybe a kiss from a defribilator would work ;)

Pomeo
Welcome aboard.:thumbs:
Thanks mate! Appreciated!

Cheers

Kent Johansson - new to the Alfa thing..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took a 2nd look though the papers and all I found that could resemble a code was a plastic card with the text "Code" and two codes, one "Electronic code" (five digits) and one "Mechanical code" (7 alfanumeric), but I assume its the codes to have more keys made to the car, right?

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Took a 2nd look though the papers and all I found that could resemble a code was a plastic card with the text "Code" and two codes, one "Electronic code" (five digits) and one "Mechanical code" (7 alfanumeric), but I assume its the codes to have more keys made to the car, right?
Yup.Thats the keycard for noo keys and immob code IIRC. Not supplied in UK at behest of Ins Co.s IIARC athough it can be had for a fee but not worth it in my experience.

Your ICS code will only be 4 long (numerics).
Yup 4 digit code mines was on a garage receipt under ICS.but I hud already paid ISR for the code. Fortunately the unit hadn't been changed.

One owner? What about the supplying garage...IF they are ony guid at awe.They should have it.

BIGGER IF they are still trading.

Pomeo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok.. :(

What about other options? Score a G2/G3 unit and replace? Or are there other Becker BE2580 alternatives floating around? Both Porsche and Lancia used them too, but they had the clima controls in a separate unit. Could one interface one of those clima panels and put in a run of the mill standard stereo??

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hi StreetOnly,

I'm guessing from your post in the ICS thread, that your car is a facelift model and therefore has the later "aluminium" colour finish - and based on your note in the opening post in this thread, it is not a telephone slot ICS.

You do not need a BE2580 to operate the CD player or the G3 Sat Nav reader (which I guess you have) - a BE2569 will do the job. Several members on here including myself have previously run G3s on BE2569 models.

You can swap the facia if you get a non-alu finish ICS - you actually only need the ICS unit itself (not the facia, fog/hazard switches or the Climate controls as you can re-utilise what you already have), but normally they get sold with all these additional bits in place.

Even if you were to source one with the Climate buttons in place, you may still have to swap those with your existing ones as the loom plug socket on the back of those switches can (but not always) differ.

If you get one from a RHD car you will need to swap over the front facia as well as the RHD/LHD are shaped differently to fit the dash (again, I have done this - although in reverse from LHD to RHD) - buts that's all the difference is.

None of the above "swaps" are difficult.

Forum member Chris Cousins might be worth PMing as he lists a RHD unit fo sale with code here (not sure if he's still got it) http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/758889-166-parts-for-sale.html#post11090633

There was also this one that was recently for sale on ebay, appears not to have sold or be re-listed so might be worth contacting the seller as well... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-166-ICS-unit-Stereo-Silver-With-code-/390984988067?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5b088575a3

I hope that helps - good luck.

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi StreetOnly,

I'm guessing from your post in the ICS thread, that your car is a facelift model and therefore has the later "aluminium" colour finish - and based on your note in the opening post in this thread, it is not a telephone slot ICS.

You do not need a BE2580 to operate the CD player or the G3 Sat Nav reader (which I guess you have) - a BE2569 will do the job. Several members on here including myself have previously run G3s on BE2569 models.

Bob
Thanks Bob, good pointers. I assume I will have to contiune to search for a ICS unit.. And you are spot on, its a LHD MY04 "Facelift" with "aluminumplastics"..:thumbs:

Cheers

Kent Johansson - New to the alfathing..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts