Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I leave my suspension for another 5 to 6 months?

As most of us know its a weak point on the 156 and a few squeaks appear!

I'm having my cambelt done on wednesday and i know i need to replace bits of the suspension but at the moment £££ is really tight and i havent the money to sort it out!
I cant really afford to do the cambelt but must be done!

Its really started to squeak now on the drivers side front wheel, but i'm tempted to leave it till May when i'm planning on getting rid of it. But the way it sounds at the moment i'm tempted to finance on a newer Alfa but i dont really want to at the moment.

I drive to work everyday and i probs do about 800 miles a month maybe less?

Is it a bad idea to leave it? Or should i think about maybe changing sooner then later?

Any advice would be very much appreciated! :thumbs:

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
I don't think it will become too dangerous unless the car starts tramlining, but you will probably find that your front tyres won't last as long as they should do.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
mmm tires may wear although its got to get pretty bad befor that happens. Going on my experience I say the squeak will prob last a bit longer before it turns into a knock. Prob more likely to be a top mount too by the way which arent that bad to change. Couple of thousand miles won't hurt it so you can rest easy till may. but obviously try get it done as soon as funds allow! :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah suppose, its not affecting the handling really (Not that i notice anyway) but if you all agree i can wait longer thats ok! :thumbs: i want to get money sorted and then start looking come March, April!

I'm VERY interested in the new Alfa coming out so may hold out till that. Unless i see an Alfa d-d-d-diesel i really like before hand.

I've been looking and there's doesnt seem to be many decent ones about unless i spend top money and i'd rather but the new Giulietta when it comes out then spending or something else!

Ahwell, we'll see :p

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
When my 156 was sqeaking it drove me potty.

I was spraying silicone lube up into the bushes every other week to keep me sane.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i can cope. Its just what got me today was the smug comment of a colleague of mine who loves Alfas and really wanted a Fiat Coupe when i had one but was to afraid due to 'reliability' so's he's gone and got a Honda! :rolleyes:
But he says he heard the car squeaking past this morning :D

.... Alfas! Who'd have them?

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
I think i can cope. Its just what got me today was the smug comment of a colleague of mine who loves Alfas and really wanted a Fiat Coupe when i had one but was to afraid due to 'reliability' so's he's gone and got a Honda! :rolleyes:
But he says he heard the car squeaking past this morning :D

.... Alfas! Who'd have them?
There isn't much I would rather have.

I liked my Fiat Coupe's but the GTV is in another class of cool. :cool:

Compared to what my dads Clio 182 has cost him it is cheap to run as well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There isn't much I would rather have.

I liked my Fiat Coupe's but the GTV is in another class of cool. :cool:

Compared to what my dads Clio 182 has cost him it is cheap to run as well.

I agree. Though i do want to own a Ferrari before i'm 30! :lol: Even if i just get my name on the V5!.... at least i've owned one!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts