Alfa Romeo Forum banner

What Clutch for GT 500nm

451 7
I am currently in the process of modifying my Alfa Romeo gt, its a 1.9 jtd and my problem was with the clutch as I need it to be able to withstand about 500nm of torque, any suggestions?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have exactly the same dilemma with my JTDm CF4 engine. It's currently got a 170 clutch kit fitted but that slips all too easily.

After some research I've decided to go for a dual friction clutch by CG Motorsport. It can handle a 40% increase in torque but doesn't have all the drawbacks of a full paddle clutch.

Autolusso also do a solid flywheel conversion to mate with a GTA clutch, but I'm not convinced that'll handle the torque.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have exactly the same dilemma with my JTDm CF4 engine. It's currently got a 170 clutch kit fitted but that slips all too easily.

After some research I've decided to go for a dual friction clutch by CG Motorsport. It can handle a 40% increase in torque but doesn't have all the drawbacks of a full paddle clutch.

Autolusso also do a solid flywheel conversion to mate with a GTA clutch, but I'm not convinced that'll handle the torque.

I am currently in the process of modifying my Alfa Romeo gt, its a 1.9 jtd and my problem was with the clutch as I need it to be able to withstand about 500nm of torque, any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What flywheel will you be using, stock or something different?

QUOTE="Danielos, post: 17816209, member: 766665"]

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
671 Posts
Not sure yet. I put a new DMF in last year so it makes sense to use it I think. It's another reason for not using a paddle clutch as, by their nature, they tend to judder on take-up. That would shake the DMF to bits very quickly. They're designed to be 'dumped' at high RPM which renders them a PITA on a road car.

CG make their own clutches so will tailor it to suit your needs, and they seem to be decent people. That said, it's worth talking to Ned at Autolusso - good bloke and very knowledgeable.

I can switch maps on the fly so am driving about on settings that don't make the clutch slip. Will probably fit the new one quite soon though. Did the last one on my driveway which was fine - takes a full day but not technically difficult.

·
Registered
10-2008 147 JTDm + Hybrid Turbo
85 Posts
If the clutch is new-ish and you’re not brutal with it then it may be sufficient for a while. I have an Autolusso hybrid turbo & a 200hp-at-the-wheels map and my clutch doesn’t slip. It’s about 15k km old. Not sure how much torque mine makes but it’s tons more than stock, feels like more than 450nm.

Try the map with the existing clutch, you may be. Pleasantly surprised.
Also, if the clutch doesn’t slip a little then it passes the shocks onto the diff & gearbox.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts