• I don’t have/need/want a cell phone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want (actually I need after have my Nokia broken :rolleyes: ) to buy a new cell phone. I'm considering only 2 makes: Nokia (as my first choice) and Sony/Ericsson (as I got a very good quote for the cell phone + a BT hands free).

The one from Nokia is the 6220. It's very similar to my previous 7250 and I have a hands free + car charger + data cable that will work with the 6220. :) But… the quote I have for the T610+BT hands free is a little bit better then just the Nokia.

Now, usually I don't ask this as I'm familiar with this kind of equipment but, it's always good to know about people's experience. So, please, if you have one of these models please do tell me what you personally think about them.

In the mean time, you can participate on the poll just to see how's the market going. ;)

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
From my previous personal experience, having owned a few makes, I have found the Nokia to have the most user friendly menu which doesn't take much getting used to. The Motorola has the worst. Siemens is middle groundish. However, being IT literate as you are I suspect that's the least of your worries ;)

Regarding robustness and durability, I thought that the Nokia were best in that department but some recent post teenager told me recently that thats not the case anymore and that even the Siemens beats them nowadays :confused:

Inventive wise, except my current SL55, I have found Motorola to be pioneers in design. What with the Star Tak and V70 (spell and mods may vary :rolleyes:). But then you see for me a mobile is a communications device and I don't go by features so much as its portability, visual appeal and signal strength and quality.

Anyway... none of this helps I'm sure, but its MHO and observations nonetheless. :)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
For what it's worth; A former colleague of mine used to be a total Nokia freek, he always had the latest models, not because he wanted to, but because they usually broke within a year. To be fair, he handles his phones like just another tool, and never takes any care of them. However, he's pretty amazed about his T610 as it now 1½ years old and still working :D

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Does anyone have a Sharp phone?
I had a GX10i, for a year and when the upgrade was due i opted for the extremely cool and funky GX30, with its 1 mega pixel camera and video capabilities. I like to play as well as call people so these gimmicky gadgets really appeal to me. The camera is ace and the ringtones are very clear sounding. I used to be a nokia fan, but then i went across to a Sony for a while cos it looked pretty cool (dont give me a hard time i am a girlie so looks are important to me lol) but got fed up with the wheely thing on the side for the menu. Thats when i jumped across to Sharp. Dont know if anyone will be in the least bit interested in this garbled message, but im quite happily waffling on to you all

Was anybody listening to me just then?

Who knows......

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stori said:
I am sorry to heae that so many of you are in Prision and hence use a "Cell" phone :( ;) :D :cheese:

But I am mobile and use a Mobile phone :D ;)
Will someone clear this point?! :rolleyes: Stori, I call it mobile phone but, the other day someone here say it should be cell phone. Now, I still call it a mobile phone but I didn't want to start a discusion about that. ;)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rosbird1 said:
Was anybody listening to me just then?

Who knows......
Of course someone is. At least me... :eek: :D after all I started this topic. ;)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't thank god, thank me. ;)

Sharp does have some prety nice phones but... I can't say I like their menus, the way to operating them and... the antenna. :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
THROTTLEMAN said:
Will someone clear this point?! :rolleyes: Stori, I call it mobile phone but, the other day someone here say it should be cell phone. Now, I still call it a mobile phone but I didn't want to start a discusion about that. ;)
Well The UK and Australia for example, use Mobile Phones, the US of A uses Cell phones, So take your pick ;) :D
Even Nokia , in the fine print for their US customers, talks about Molile Phones

"The use of mobile phones and their accessories may be prohibited or restricted in certain areas. Obey applicable law regarding mobile phone usage. "

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
We use "cell" as well. Personally I think it's the better choice. One syllable words are so much better for wireless conversation. At least you have a better chance of hearing them before they get cut off in mid transmission, and when they get looped back to you in feeback they are less disruptive to hear in your ear. ;) :D
--Toronto (who has yet to have one decent conversation with anybody on a cell phone that didn't include them yelling into the phone, receiving disconcerting feeback of my own voice in my ear, and lots of bits that got cut off in mid-s'ten... :cheese: )

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Toronto Spider said:
We use "cell" as well. Personally I think it's the better choice. One syllable words are so much better for wirelss conversation. At least you have a better chance of hearing them before they get cut off in mid transmission, and when they get looped back to you in feeback they are less disruptive to hear in your ear. ;) :D
--Toronto (who has yet to have one decent conversation with anybody on a cell phone that didn't include them yelling into the phone, receiving disconcerting feeback of my own voice in my ear, and lots of bits that got cut off in mid-s'ten... :cheese: )
Sounds like you need a good Mobile network over there ......... ;)
and re the use of one syllable words...are you becoming Americanised and cannot use more than one syllable words any more :( ;) :D

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Sadly you're right about us becoming more Americanized. Studies show that usage of Canadian specific words are dropping as they are being replaced by American ones. :(

As for the network issue, each major player in the U.S and Canada tends to run its own network -- at least as I understand it, and I could be wrong, because I couldn't care less about cell phones if I tried. :D I've spoken with enough people in enough places using enough different phones and technology to be convinced that the problem is inherent in the method of communication rather than the individual networks. While the convenience of the silly things might be nice, I really can't see any reason to give up my nice, crisp clean landline.

I've been tempted by some of the VoIP home phone offerings, but because so much of my business life is spent with my ear glued to the phone, I'm reluctant to be a guinea pig for the new service.
--Toronto

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
selespeed said:
At least I have a mobile phone, not a cell phone (see votes) ;)
Well As usual the Americans had to be different so its cell phone.

And just incase you do go to America once again they had to be different there on 1900Mhz Band Unlike most of the world which is on 900/1800 Mhz so make sure you take a Triband phone along with you ! :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts