Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if you guys have seen Autocar's article about the cars that McLaren's employees drive:

The cars of McLaren - what do the workers drive? | Autocar

Good news is that one of them drives a 166, while I knew that red Maserati looked familiar - I've seen it a few times locally.

I think Autocar should take a similar trip down the road to Thorpe to see what the folks at Maranello drive. That could be interesting :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Many driving Hondas?:biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Some while back, Ron Dennis lived locally and was frequently to be seen in a McClaren F1 - registered K8 MCL going to and from work. His pay grade obviously stretches to a bigger monthly budget.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I know one of their employees drives a red Pug 306 cabriolet, and has another rare one stashed away in his garage, but he was obviously a bit too shy for the photoshoot :ninja:

And interesting to see a BMW 2002 touring in the pictures - not many of them left and I think I saw that one at a Brooklands meet about 20 years ago.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I saw that same little green 2002 touring just a few weeks back. Funny looking thing but interesting - more interesting than the saloon or 2 door.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I had a red one for a while - they rust badly, have slightly weird styling at the back, the boot lip's exceptionally high and the handling's inferior to the saloon, but they do have the honour of being the world's first hot hatch. Also, though we didn't get it in the UK, they did a fuel injected version called the 2002 Tii touring so I'm sure you can guess where the idea for the Golf GTi came from...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've got a friend who works there in R&D on the road cars (as opposed to F1). A few years ago he asked if my brother and I would like to bring one of our American cars (63 Dodge & 69 Plymouth) along to their, what was becoming an annual Employees Car Show. Of course we jumped at the chance and have now been on 3 occasions - the last being 2014. They hold it on one weekend in August during F1's summer break.

It's just for employees and their invited guests so it's quite exclusive!

The pics in that Autocar article look a bit like these shows I've been to but a bit less varied so I guess it's an actual employee gathering rather than the annual show that includes employees friends too.

Here's some pics of that 2014 show....

McLaren Employee Car Show 2014 Slideshow by rob440uk | Photobucket

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Not sure if you guys have seen Autocar's article about the cars that McLaren's employees drive:

The cars of McLaren - what do the workers drive? | Autocar

Good news is that one of them drives a 166, while I knew that red Maserati looked familiar - I've seen it a few times locally.

I think Autocar should take a similar trip down the road to Thorpe to see what the folks at Maranello drive. That could be interesting :thumbup:
Did the factory tour in 2010. A few pics here but none of the main car park.
There were I recall many Alfas and Fiats in that main car park.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts