Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.
After the really manky few weeks we have had weather wise I am hopefully going to wash and wax the car this weekend. What car wax do you all use and recommend, am willing to spend a bit on it if it means protecting the paintwork on the car and not having to wash every two weeks?

Thanks
Pete.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Agreed - I'll move it, you'll get a better response in there.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
an expensive wax doesn't mean it's better than a cheaper one.
go for something like meguiars 16.
the shine is all in the prep. give it a good wash, de tar, clay, super resin polish and then some megs 16 and it'll be protected for 6 months at least.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
AG's HD Wax @ £20 a tub off eBay or even easier, the latest new Super Resin Polish followd by Extra Gloss Protection, both available from Halfords:)

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
The prep' is the key.

After washing the beast, use some kerosene/parafin or tar remover to remove any tar on the lower doors (don't scrub, dab it so that the solvent dissolves the tar) then use a clay kit over the whole car to remove any other contaminants. The paint should be really glassy smooth afterwards.

Stick your preferred wax on that, to preserve it.

I use Poorboys Natty Blue wax (ebay). It's about £13 a pot, is veeery easy to put on an buff off, makes no powder, lasts for ages (on the car and in the pot) and smells of bubblegum.. :D

Ralf S.

·
Administrator
87,034 Posts
The prep' is the key.

After washing the beast, use some kerosene/parafin or tar remover to remove any tar on the lower doors (don't scrub, the solvent dissolves the tar) then use a clay kit over the whole car to remove any other contaminants. The paint should be really glassy smooth afterwards.

What Ralf S said :thumbs:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Irish, what colour is your motor ?

If black I recommend 'Harley Wax' cheap at £18 delivered (flee-bay) for a big can and easy to apply / remove. I have tried loads of different stuff, and this is the bizzo !

Recommended from a hot rod mate, who says that it's the wax of choice for muscle car veterans in the states. :)

·
Registered
988 Posts
There is a staggering number of products which can be bought, ranging from Autoglym to Zaino.

I guess they can be roughly split into 3 categories.

1. Traditional wax. Meguiars 16, Blitz etc. You can also use a glaze under the wax to hide the swirls but a glaze will lower the life of a wax. Wax should last from a few weeks up to 6 months

2. Sealants. These tend to last longer than waxes but removing the swirls is key otherwise you end up with shiny swirls. Up to 2 - 8 months

3. Super duper sealants. Optimum Opticoat or OptiGuard, Gtech C1 etc. These products literally add another layer to the paint and will last a very very long time. Can be more tricky to apply but once on, you do not really need to do anything aside from washing for the next few years

As others have said, prep is the key to any product.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Here's my reply!

For a sealent use Poorboys Blackhole, one of the best if not the best sealent around :thumbs:

Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze | Pre-Wax Glaze For Dark Coloured Cars

For waxes I have a winter wax for long last protection against all the crap around, for this I use Colinite 845, superb stuff :thumbs:

Zymol Collinite 845 Liquid Insulator Wax from Monza Car Care

For summer I use Swissvax Scuderia wax, might cost a few pretty £££ but I love it :)

Swissvax Scuderia Wax | For Italian Paintwork | FREE UK Delivery

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I use two type's of Menzerna wax's first, one which harder than the other as prep, followed by Zymol Ital Glaze

Zymol Ital Glaze for Ferrari (226g) 164

The Zymol is a little expensive but it's great to apply and leaves your hands feeling very soft...as you warm it in your hands which turns it to almost liquid and then "rub" it on......:eek:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
I use two type's of Menzerna wax's first, one which harder than the other as prep, followed by Zymol Ital Glaze

Zymol Ital Glaze for Ferrari (226g) 164

The Zymol is a little expensive but it's great to apply and leaves your hands feeling very soft...as you warm it in your hands which turns it to almost liquid and then "rub" it on......:eek:
I tried that Zymol with the Swissvax but just prefered the finish of Swissvax as it gave it a more 'wet' look :)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Here's my reply!

For a sealent use Poorboys Blackhole, one of the best if not the best sealent around :thumbs:

Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze | Pre-Wax Glaze For Dark Coloured Cars

For waxes I have a winter wax for long last protection against all the crap around, for this I use Colinite 845, superb stuff :thumbs:

Zymol Collinite 845 Liquid Insulator Wax from Monza Car Care

For summer I use Swissvax Scuderia wax, might cost a few pretty £££ but I love it :)

Swissvax Scuderia Wax | For Italian Paintwork | FREE UK Delivery
Black hole is a glaze?

I like AG HD wax, colly 476s (I find the two very similar) and I'm currently using FK1000p (wax/sealant hybrid). The 1000p looks pretty bling on my blue GT. :cool:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Black hole is a glaze?

I like AG HD wax, colly 476s (I find the two very similar) and I'm currently using FK1000p (wax/sealant hybrid). The 1000p looks pretty bling on my blue GT. :cool:
I have heard and seen some very good results with FK1000p, I will try it at some point for sure :lol:

Blackhole is a glaze/sealent, well all the people I know use it put it down over fresh paint once all the old crap has been removed as it hides swirls, fine scratches and generally brings out a nice warm colour from the paint. All I can say is try some, I have a little bit left and got some more so could send it to you to try :)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I have PB's black hole and white diamond. Pretty good products but not sure how durable they'd be without a proper wax/sealant.

Fk1000p is pretty good to be fair, very good value for money too!

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
I have PB's black hole and white diamond. Pretty good products but not sure how durable they'd be without a proper wax/sealant.
The answer is crap as they are not designed to be used in that matter, I think it says on the bottle as well :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
PB BH is a pre-wax or sealant glaze. Offers minimal protection if any on its own.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts