Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone :)

As we know, the hatchbacks' and saloons' dominance is pretty much over, with the public desiring high-riding SUVs and crossovers. But, as hatchback and saloon sales have shown us, what's popular today, may not be popular tomorrow, so the SUVs and crossovers' crown may slip one day, too.

So what will replace them? Could it be pick ups? Right now, they're a bit rough and tumble, as were 4x4s 25 years ago before they got all domesticated and evolved in the SUVs, 4X4s and crossovers we have now. Will the pick up follow a similar path and soon be the vehicle of choice? If so, ten quid says we'll see these variants:

The original pick up, four seat, four door, exposed load area.
The saloon version of the above, concealed load area.
The estate version of the above, concealed load area.
The coupe sports estate version of the above, two door, lower roof, concealed and shortened load area
The Townie version; two seat, two door, two wheel drive, hatchback-concealed boot area
The Townie SUV crossover. As above, but four inches taller. 2WD.
The convertible pick up; two door, three seats, two wheel drive, limited concealed load area due to steel roof folding mechanism. Naturally, this will be the best seller.

Five years from now, will picks up be the new SUVs? :)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i can't clicky the linky :( will have a look on my phone :) Four mill is quite a few motors... i thought the number would be a tad higher for the US, though. I wonder what that is as a percentage of over all car sales in the States?

It'll all be elektricky and controlled-by-thought cars soon! :)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, I'm on it, boss. Deposit down, viewing at 10am tomorrow :)

·
Registered
33,664 Posts
certainly tax benefits in having a Pickup and it generally signifies a stage in a builders life where he's become more independent when he doesn't drive a van anymore.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
onwards and upwards.

now... is that a tile missing from your roof?

:)

(Cue2 & Nev - are we the only kids playing on AO today?)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
A re-imagining of the 3 wheeler with spherical polycarbonate and carbon fibre shell, electric power. Handles for lifting it into tight spaces, optional self powered trailer for when more carrying capacity is needed.

Seriously, there is a major lack of imagination in the motor industry as well as a keeness to plagiarise.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
You're close, Scud, but the traditional pickup (or in your scenario, the original version) was two doors and two seats (well technically a bench seat so you could seat as many people as you could squeeze in). These are going the way of the dodo, being replaced by the cab crew (four-door) version and the shorter bed, making them significantly less useful for their original purpose of hauling stuff.

Back in the days when trucks were trucks, not glorified gussied-up people urban people haulers, the standard bed side used to be eight feet in length. The idea was you could fit a sheet of plywood (which typically measures 4' x 8') in the bed. Now with the extended cabs, short beds of six or five feet are typically what you'll find on trucks. Here's a good summary of bed sizes.

More and more of the trucks you're seeing on the road already come with integrated covered cargo areas (further reducing their innate cargo-carrying abilities), so they've already hit your saloon or estate version.

Believe me, I want to think you're right and that this SUV/truck phase will soon be over. I want to see beautifully styled sedans and coupes and wagons and hatches on the roads again. I want to have options as a car buyer and not be faced with a showroom filled with nothing but trucks and SUVs.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Believe me, I want to think you're right and that this SUV/truck phase will soon be over. I want to see beautifully styled sedans and coupes and wagons and hatches on the roads again. I want to have options as a car buyer and not be faced with a showroom filled with nothing but trucks and SUVs.
Like this 2020 Skoda WTF caught on 'Wheels That Fail' on 'Quest'.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Tor :)

Me too. I look down the high street, and I think 'cripes, the cars are ugly'. And then I think that's just my aged, jaded eyes. Then I look again, and I think - 'No. Those cars really are ugly.'

There must be a way to merge the legal requirements with the elegant finesse cars used to have.

And I want to kick the butt of any car designer that fawns over their achievement of making the front of a car 'more aggressive' (yeah, because we need that on the roads...), or for lacing the design with lines that 'show the car's power.' Not suggesting all cars should look like Nissan Micras, but there must be somewhere in between that works :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts