Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only had the haziest memory of this, but was reminded of it the other week in an ‘oh yeah’ moment.

no googling!

and Cue2, you are not allowed to reply until at least five other AO-ers have tried 😂

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh bu55er.

ok, let’s try the question again, but without the answer coming in pretty much the first reply😂

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lancia! 😁

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Citröen and Lancia? Didn't Bertone do work for both. Or if you're asking about Volvo, Citröen and Lancia too weren't there euro vans for these all made somewhere in France?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Citröen and Lancia? Didn't Bertone do work for both. Or if you're asking about Volvo, Citröen and Lancia too weren't there euro vans for these all made somewhere in France?
I dunno. I’m still trying to work out the square root of minus two 😁

Bertone had a hand in the Stratos and the BX, though 😎

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Square root of minus 2 is an imaginary number. Written as 1.414i. As a physicist I always thought mathematicians were copping out with imaginary numbers. Think of a number!
Actually quite useful and probably no stranger than a photon being in two places at once.
Volvo used to source parts including engines from all over, my sister's Volvo 340 had a Renault engine. It drove like a small barge.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, Volvo, Renault and Peugeot (maybe even Citroen?) had that PSA alliance thing going on. Remember some models shared a nice six cylinder engine at the time. The Douvin (?) six or something. Found its way into the De Loren, too; was that a photon in two places at once? (In back to the future?) ;-)

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
my sister's Volvo 340 had a Renault engine. It drove like a small barge.
My father-in-law had a 340. It's always been said that a good car feels smaller when you drive it. The 340 felt MUCH bigger - steering devoid of any feedback, too.

Yeah, Volvo, Renault and Peugeot (maybe even Citroen?) had that PSA alliance thing going on. Remember some models shared a nice six cylinder engine at the time. The Douvin (?) six or something. Found its way into the De Loren, too; was that a photon in two places at once? (In back to the future?) ;-)
The V6 was PRV, not PSA:

The PRV engine was built at Douvrin & commonly known as the Douvrin engine, although that name really belongs to a four used only by PSA & Renault:

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
Didn't some of the later Volvo's share the PSA developed 1.6 diesel engine that was fitted to the Ford Focus? DV6 IIRC, and it wasn't the best in terms of reliability...

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My father-in-law had a 340. It's always been said that a good car feels smaller when you drive it. The 340 felt MUCH bigger - steering devoid of any feedback, too.

The V6 was PRV, not PSA:

The PRV engine was built at Douvrin & commonly known as the Douvrin engine, although that name really belongs to a four used only by PSA & Renault:

Yes. Apologies it was the PRV engine. I don’t know where it is, but my brain is not in my head today :)

·
Registered
14,797 Posts
The 340 is extremely popular in the strange world of drifting. Big Volvo turbo and Clio 16v are very common.

A question; has there ever been another car with a front engine, a transaxle, and parallel leaf springs?.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Yeah, Volvo, Renault and Peugeot (maybe even Citroen?) had that PSA alliance thing going on. Remember some models shared a nice six cylinder engine at the time. The Douvin (?) six or somethwas that a photon in two places at once? (In back to the future?) ;-)
The 340 of my sister was one that I used to service for a colleague. My colleague managed to burn out the clutch as a result of being stuck in a slow moving jam and simultaneously stuck in third gear. I didn't do the clutch or gear linkage but apparently changing the clutch was relatively easy.

Always had to be careful describing interference of waves/particles to my students when it came to individual photons interfering with themselves or of two photons interfering with each other. Needed careful phrasing to avoid sniggers from the back!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Troops - has anyone answered the question about the link between Volvo and Citroen? I don’t mind if you haven’t 😎

·
Registered
14,797 Posts
Was it not the engine?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope, sorry boss.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know, I know, I know.

but for those who didn’t see it the challenge Remains :)

·
Registered
14,797 Posts
So part Swedish, part French, but in an Italian car mag?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts