Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 147 1.6 TS needs new brakes and discs in the front. I've been quoted R2700 (South African Rand) for parts from the dealer for the standard items. I've also been quoted R2900.00 for Ferodo DS discs and pads (RDS 12003 DISCS and FDS 1052 PADS)- which are apparantly make a great performance combo (albeit by the retailer).

I would like to get a cheap but effective alternative. R2700 seems expensive for standard parts. If I have to pay this would it be better to go for the DS option? Is the DS option suitable for day to day driving? Will I notice a great difference?

Are there any other products I should look at? I want good affordable parts - I dont need anything to fancy as I'm not going to be racing or anything hectic.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Can't offer much in the way of help with this Clifford. Always use the oe spec stuff myself. Sure there must be effective more moderately priced stuff out there though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer mentioned I needed new discs at my next service.... hence me enquiring about break options.

Decided to take a look at the actual condition myself. Turns out pads have plenty left on them - but the discs are pretty worn. Does anyone know what the min thickness for the discs are. I dont wanna have to replace too early.

Second Q - If I change the discs - must I change the pads too?

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I would have thought you could get cheaper oem parts for an Alfa Romeo. Here in Australia I got front Brembo oem replacement slotted discs and pads (Ferrodo made and supposedly DS2500) for the same price as a set of Alfa Romeo factory discs without pads......

Compared to this setup, standard Alfa Romeo 147s come without brakes!

It is not a good idea to use old pads as they would not bed in properly to new discs. and when discs were worn again you would have to use new pads ...effectively you would have a less efficient brake system than if you used new discs and pads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts