Discussion Starter #1
... as expenses in your line of work :confused:

When I was last able to submit an expense claim I could claim for
petrol above my normal trip from home to work, hotel costs if I had to
stay away from home ie not in a home belonging to me, a meal up to
£5 if I was working away from my usual office. Any other expenses
such as tools to do the job, were subject to a capital expenditure
request not as a personal expense and the tool belonged to the company
at the end of the day. And that was about it.

How about you?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I work in a small firm of consultants so we dont really work to set figures. We get hotel expenses (Premier Inn standard usually but no less), lunch and evening meal, no limit really its left at own discretion to use common sense , equipment and office stationary etc when needed, BS Standards and text books etc all covered too.
Generally we have a good relaxed system and so we dont abuse it.

Paul

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
If I look back across my career then all I can say is....

As I rose in the organisation ...then the levels of opportunity for corruption increased.

When I started out I could only claim a minimum amount for petrol if I used my own car. There were caps on accommodation, meals and out of pocket expenses. (taxis etc.) Nothing would be paid to me unless it was receipted.

At the level I eventually reached I simply told the company what it owed me.... and signed for it. Receipts were required to be handed in to 'Accounts' but the amount I charged did not have to match them.

The cost of the expenses tended to be balanced against the value to the business of what had been achieved.

[....and no I didn't cheat]

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Well I am a civil servant but the claims I can make are limited (quite right too).

My current job means that I am responsible for the offices we have from Gt Yarmouth in the East to Melton Mowbray in the West. I live 70 miles away from my nearest office and 150 from the furthest.

I get £0.40 a mile to visit each office (knock off 66 miles a day which is what I do to get to my base office)
I stay in an hotel if I visit the furthest offices (I'll visit three with an overnight stay)- B&B is paid for and I get £25 evening meal allowance plus £5 "personal expenses" - that'll cover the films then.
During the day - £10 meal allowance if away from base for more than 10 hours.

If I travel further all hotel, flight etc costs are paid for.

N

·
0 Posts
I learned from working at one company to tightly
control expenses.

Half my fuel is normally for work. Most road tolls too.

As a rule of thumb I stay in hotels, eat at restaurant
and take flights etc that I would feel comfortable
paying myself if it was a personal trip.

If you do not treat expenses as "Other People's Money"
I think it's quite easy to control them.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I get my expenses for what I need for what I do. It could be abused but dont.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
I've run up some horrendous expense bills in my time. Mainly at the behest of a client, which helps to justify it.

The one I am most ashamed of is £700 on a meal for 4, followed by a hotel bill for £300 for one night.

Unless there are customers involved I stay and eat at the same standard I would expect at home. So, Amarone, Chateau Briande, Lacaze cognac etc etc are the order of the day :lol:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
back when i was employed, i used to get a fully expensed company car so never had to pay for any petrol at all. the only expenses i ever claimed were tunnel/road tools, parking costs, and occasionally taking customers out for lunch etc - but even then it would only be a pub lunch. some of my colleagues in london used to take the mickey and take customers to some seriously posh restaurants & bars but that's not fair unless the company is making megabucks, which it wasn't.

the only fiddle i had was every christmas i used to go and buy a massive trolley full of booze as gifts for my best customers on the company credit card, and i'd be lying if i said none of it ever made it's way straight to my house...

staying over anywhere was easy - the company used to book all hotels for us so we never got to choose, but to be fair they always put us up in reasonable places so never had any cause to complain...

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If staying away I get £15 for an evening meal, including 2 drinks,
I think that's plenty, you can only eat steak so many times a week :D
B&B/hotel anywhere up to £75 a night (but we don't get much say in that as they are normally booked by the secretary)
If on site for the day we also get £5 for lunch
I'm lucky enough to have a company C Card which makes things so much easier!
We also get a staying away allowance of £12 a night - taxed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
Expenses are strictly controlled. Fuel for diesel drivers is 13p/mile up to 3k miles -so it just clears fuel costs if you average high 30's-40mpg (but not at last year's highest fuel costs) and it then rises to 22p but we have to pay our own insurance, tax etc on allowance. The allowance is less than the lease hire cost for the equivalent class fleet car - but you get to choose an Alfa if you take it! Full co car drivers get less for fuel but everything is in.

Travel is strictly economy class unless you are CEO/CFO grade but some sales people manage to fiddle upgrades through a loophole if it is long haul with an early meeting.

Meal costs are technically limited like Gibbo's but anything "modest" tends to be accepted and you are expected not to take the mickey with drinks etc.

Certainly nothing personal is allowed and I wouldn't dream of trying it on.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The last job I had with an expense account was in the 70's. My boss complained that I didn't spend enough on expenses and said I should take more customers out for lunch. I was the first female technical rep in the ceramics industry. I was 24 and most of the managers who were my customers were male and in their 40's and 50's - they wouldn't go out for lunch with me incase anyone saw them and thought they were having an affair :cheese:

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
Well I am a civil servant but the claims I can make are limited (quite right too).

My current job means that I am responsible for the offices we have from Gt Yarmouth in the East to Melton Mowbray in the West. I live 70 miles away from my nearest office and 150 from the furthest.

I get £0.40 a mile to visit each office (knock off 66 miles a day which is what I do to get to my base office)
I stay in an hotel if I visit the furthest offices (I'll visit three with an overnight stay)- B&B is paid for and I get £25 evening meal allowance plus £5 "personal expenses" - that'll cover the films then.
During the day - £10 meal allowance if away from base for more than 10 hours.

If I travel further all hotel, flight etc costs are paid for.
Just thought - I can travel First Class by rail/plane - but I don't - on Anglia trains it is academic anyway.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i did a (very) short stint with a company from west sussex who wanted me working from home but largely based within one of their biggest clients in north manchester.

then they decided they actually wanted me to be largely based at one of their other biggest clients... in watford

they offered £65 a night to cover accommodation and evening meal. my response was 2 words long, one of them was 'off'. i shoulda seen the writing on the wall when the company car was a laguna diesel. i think i did 6 weeks in total with them, what a shambles. having said that, they were the kind of company who i'd LOVE to have swindled my expenses through :lol:

as an aside, i was talking to one of my clients a couple of months ago who knows the company in question - he's of the impression that they went out of business not so long ago. quelle domage :lol:

·
Registered
696 Posts
I was part of a team that did a four day install in a quarry in Cumbria.

The bar-bill was framed in the office at 3 ft long and over £1000.

Slack.

Now, I'm part of a two man company so claims are somewhat more realistic and depends on what the taxman will accept.

H

·
0 Posts
I get 40p a mile and all tolls paid for, a meal up to £25 if the day is over 12 hrs including travel :)

The best claim I had was when I worked for a very large Packaging company and I had a company credit card :D

I had a P1 gtv with a crippled rear sub frame that cost £1,800 to replace I didn't have the funds at the time so I charged it to the company card :lol:

I did pay it back before the bean counters got wind of it :D

·
Administrator
23,019 Posts
I get 40p a mile and all tolls paid for, a meal up to £25 if the day is over 12 hrs including travel :)

The best claim I had was when I worked for a very large Packaging company and I had a company credit card :D

I had a P1 gtv with a crippled rear sub frame that cost £1,800 to replace I didn't have the funds at the time so I charged it to the company card :lol:

I did pay it back before the bean counters got wind of it :D
So - we don't expect you to comment on ANY thread about MP's expenses then?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts