Alfa Romeo Forum banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Initial reaction to the 12p a litre price drop was 'great'. But I'm hardly using my car at the moment. Tomorrow will be the first time since Sunday, and that's only to do food shopping. I still have about half a tank, so that's going to last some time yet...

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The demand for crude oil must be almost stagnant. Lovely day here in Manchester, blue clear ski, not a plane In sight.

It was 99.9 at Costco last week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
It doesn't matter how low fuel goes if we are not supposed to use our cars...
You can use your car for work if you can't work from home, and for essential shopping.

Mine's hardly getting used; it's had a fresh battery not too long ago, so will hopefully be ok.

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
You can use your car for work if you can't work from home, and for essential shopping.

Mine's hardly getting used; it's had a fresh battery not too long ago, so will hopefully be ok.
My work has decided to close up until after easter, so I am sort of working from home.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Why

...but only if that work is essential...say you work in a hospital or one of the few types of shops allowed to be open..food chemists, garages....other than that you should be at home. I popped into work on my own the other day to check the place was ok....the old bill stopped by to make sure i was not opening...apparently they had closed six business's locally including a couple of estate agents, a hairdresser and a place that sells log fires....(real essential I'm sure you'd agree!) WTF is wrong with these people. They said they are patrolling and sending 50 or more people home each day who are out for no good reason...good job too.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Why

...but only if that work is essential...say you work in a hospital or one of the few types of shops allowed to be open..food chemists, garages....other than that you should be at home. I popped into work on my own the other day to check the place was ok....the old bill stopped by to make sure i was not opening...apparently they had closed six business's locally including a couple of estate agents, a hairdresser and a place that sells log fires....(real essential I'm sure you'd agree!) WTF is wrong with these people. They said they are patrolling and sending 50 or more people home each day who are out for no good reason...good job too.
Wrong. In the UK, we're still allowed to travel to work if your work cannot be done from home.
I'm not talking about non-essential shops, pubs, cafes etc - we all know the rules for them.

Read or listen to the actual Government advice, not all the guff you hear in the media - no wonder so many people still don't understand the rules!

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
But you cant do that and abide by the other rules such as Stay at Home, Don't visit anyone, even friends and family, the social distancing rules. Not to mention that anything except essential work/businesses should be shut by now anyway....I'm sure the Police would not be going around shutting down businesses in the area of it was ok to open them....but I agree the rules are unclear. One rule contradicts another...but one things for sure...the virus will be spread by people going to work...so it's only a matter of time before companies volunteering to close becomes compulsory and policed country wide...like NZ and some Scandinavian countries already do.

....even in that advice you posted it says you are advised to say home ...
"those who follow advice to stay at home will be eligible for statutory sick pay (SSP) from the first day of their absence from work.
So as much as you legally can go to work...even the slightest amount of common sense would tell you not so to protect yourself and others.
Don't forget the main rules they keep plugging....
Stay at Home
Stay Safe
Protect the NHS.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I’m not sure if the information has since been updated from that link lussoman? It is my understanding that it’s being under constant review.
It’s also my understanding that most are entitled to 80%, of their wage not SSP

Sick pay
Those who follow advice to stay at home and who cannot work as a result will be eligible for statutory sick pay (SSP), even if they are not themselves sick.

Employers should use their discretion and respect the medical need to self-isolate in making decisions about sick pay.

Anyone not eligible to receive sick pay, including those earning less than an average of £118 per week, some of those working in the gig economy, or self-employed people, is able to claim Universal Credit and or contributory Employment and Support Allowance.

For those on a low income and already claiming Universal Credit, it is designed to automatically adjust depending on people’s earnings or other income. However, if someone needs money urgently they can apply for an advance through the journal.

For those that ignore government advice it’s possibly they wouldn’t get those government payments.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
But you cant do that and abide by the other rules such as Stay at Home, Don't visit anyone, even friends and family, the social distancing rules. Not to mention that anything except essential work/businesses should be shut by now anyway....I'm sure the Police would not be going around shutting down businesses in the area of it was ok to open them....but I agree the rules are unclear. One rule contradicts another...but one things for sure...the virus will be spread by people going to work...so it's only a matter of time before companies volunteering to close becomes compulsory and policed country wide...like NZ and some Scandinavian countries already do.

....even in that advice you posted it says you are advised to say home ...
"those who follow advice to stay at home will be eligible for statutory sick pay (SSP) from the first day of their absence from work.
So as much as you legally can go to work...even the slightest amount of common sense would tell you not so to protect yourself and others.
Don't forget the main rules they keep plugging....
Stay at Home
Stay Safe
Protect the NHS.
If you’ve been made a “ Furlough “ worker you must not undertake work from your current employer. If you seek other employment that’s permitted, you must then tell your current employer to be taken off the Furlough register. Effectively handing in your notice

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
I’m not sure if the information has since been updated from that link lussoman? It is my understanding that it’s being under constant review.
It is their current instruction and very much up to date.
Anything new is in the 5pm daily briefings live on TV.
I'm sure the restrictions will get tougher in the very near future, similar to Ireland and other parts of the world.

Currently, very simply:
  • Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)
  • If you go out, stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people at all times
  • Wash your hands as soon as you get home

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I got this text on Tuesday lunchtime

GOV.UK CORONAVIRUS ALERT
New rules in force now: you must stay at home. More info & exemptions at gov.uk/coronavirus Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.

Here’s the link

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
The clue is the word 'only'.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Personally, regardless of how you interpret the "advice"...I think anyone who is gong to work now (assuming they are not on the list of vital shops and services) is showing a distinct lack of common sense and irresponsibility to the more virus vulnerable amongst us (not me by the way...in case you think that is why I'm posting!)....and can only make this lockdown longer for the rest of us. Rule No 1..."Stay at Home" as the ever cheerful (not) and inappropriately named Mr Witty keeps saying in every ad break on the TV.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
I've just reported the 'facts' on here, not 'personal' opinion.

For the record, I'm fortunate to be able to run a business from home, but it does involve seeing clients in their own homes every now and again. Obviously that part has now stopped, so I'm just working through what I've got left then that's the end of it.
My car's getting used once a week now - a trip to the supermarket, no other reason.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Personally, regardless of how you interpret the "advice"...I think anyone who is gong to work now (assuming they are not on the list of vital shops and services) is showing a distinct lack of common sense and irresponsibility to the more virus vulnerable amongst us (not me by the way...in case you think that is why I'm posting!)....and can only make this lockdown longer for the rest of us. Rule No 1..."Stay at Home" as the ever cheerful (not) and inappropriately named Mr Witty keeps saying in every ad break on the TV.
You mean the bloke that looks like beaker, but without hair from the muppet show?
I’d prefer them to show the count, counting down the days remaining of lockdown.

·
Administrator
87,042 Posts
Diesel 116.9c & petrol 124.9c ??

Two weeks ago when I filled up diesel was 129.9 & petrol 139.9c

161 - 179 of 179 Posts