Alfa Romeo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
ASDA prices have been going up regularly for the last few weeks. From memory they are now 124.7p for standard 95 octane. Trouble is all the other filling stations take their lead from ASDA and maintain a price differential. I suspect that the Esso garage I use will be about 130p next time I fill up.

It could be worse. Back in 2012 when I bought the Giulietta 95 octane was 139p per litre and my pension has increased with inflation since then.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Every day the prices seem to change. I'm sure the price is determined by a random number generator each morning.

Locally the same garage unleaded has varied by as much as 10p a litre in 2 weeks. But the general trend is upwards.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Tuesday afternoon went to Lincoln. Shell at Waitrose 95 octane unleaded 125.9p/litre. So a good price. Got home and checked the ASDA just down the road and they were 126.7p/litre and the Jet across the roundabout 127.9p/litre. And I thought Shell, being a quality fuel, would be more expensive.

Don't forget ASDA have a national pricing policy so the Lincoln ASDA will be more expensive than Waitrose!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Filled up today near Bromley for 126.8 per litre. Filled up just over a week ago at Wetherby Services on the A1 for 147.4 per litre. Spot the thieving basts. No doubt the locals know places where you can save 20p a litre, but travellers on a long stretch of services-free A1 don't, and you only find out whe parked the pump. The quantity they sell there must enable them to buy cheaply.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Filled up today near Bromley for 126.8 per litre. Filled up just over a week ago at Wetherby Services on the A1 for 147.4 per litre. Spot the thieving basts. No doubt the locals know places where you can save 20p a litre, but travellers on a long stretch of services-free A1 don't, and you only find out whe parked the pump. The quantity they sell there must enable them to buy cheaply.

I’ve pondered whether the motorway service areas as they’re called actually have the overheads to justify pricing or whether it’s just shameless profiteering.

On reflection I decided that most drivers who fill up frequently on the motorway are fuel card users and work for private companies or hauliers.

Therefore the social and domestic motorist pays at the pump and as a consumer and a motorist. Sigh.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
For future reference the Shell station at Leeming Bar (not a service area but you can see it from the southbound A1(M) is significantly cheaper than the services at Scotch Corner and Wetherby

On reflection I decided that most drivers who fill up frequently on the motorway are fuel card users and work for private companies or hauliers.
I agree. I have thought this ever since I was a company car user who got all fuel paid by the company. Most of my colleagues, with the same deal, didn't care about the cost to the company and filled up where ever they happened to be.

·
Administrator
86,761 Posts
Petrol 149.9c & diesel 140.9c

The budget last week didn't include an increase to either due to a carbon tax.

One year later :

Petrol 143.9c & diesel 133.9c

The budget on Wednesday did included an increase to both of approximately 2c per litre due to a carbon tax of €6 per ton, however the prices at the local pump quoted above haven't yet increased.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Petrol 149.9c & diesel 140.9c

The budget last week didn't include an increase to either due to a carbon tax.

One year later :

Petrol 143.9c & diesel 133.9c

The budget on Wednesday did included an increase to both of approximately 2c per litre due to a carbon tax of €6 per ton, however the prices at the local pump quoted above haven't yet increased.
£1.22 petrol in Belfast city centre.....£1.26 diesel.

Am sure that will fluctuate after Leo and Boris' love in. Lol

·
Registered
609 Posts
Near me. Well at the minute I'm on the island
of Aigina in Greece. Here, 95ron ranges between €1.69-€1.73 per litre. The super stuff is generally,like at home, about 12c-15c dearer.

On average and at the current exchange rate, it works out at £1.55 per litre. Pretty horrendous!!

On Astypalea, which is a little island in the middle if the dodecanesse, my dad says its approaching €2 a litre.....for the cheap stuff!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Just put £60s worth of unleaded in at £1.28/l on the A4 near Theale.

Local garage to me is a penny cheaper. They advertise cheaper petrol 2 days a week, but don't say what days!!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Took my daily exercise this morning as far as the junction where ASDA is situated (kept well away) but noticed that market forces have kicked in. Petrol was 102.7 and diesel 108.7. Last time I noticed it was 114.7 for petrol. The Jet station directly across the road from them was 115.9 for petrol (cannot remember the diesel). Needless to say the Jet station wasn't doing any trade. One car at the air line, one parked and the driver heading into the shop.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
The Russians and OPEC could not agree on restricting output so there is currently a glut. The pound has fallen against the dollar in which oil is priced so no wonder market pressures have forced the price down. Just a pity we cannot take advantage. No doubt once the lockdown is lifted (whenever that may be) the price will rise just as sharply

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yes, its been the same in south wales yesterday, 102.7 from Asda, but tesco still at 115.9

If Asda can drop it right down, then what is tesco waiting for?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I need fuel...but ASDA is too far....but I do tend to fill up there if I'm passing. Around here I've never seen Tesco (or Sainsburys) sell at the prices ASDA sell for.....even the branches near the ASDA. They must think they don't need to.

141 - 160 of 178 Posts