Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having tried on numerous occasions to download windows10 with no success, is it worth waiting and eventually paying for it, on a memory stick or something? :confused:

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
I don't think it is worth paying for but if you want it I'll put it on a stick and send it to you ZF. Just pm. It's no problem and I have spare sticks around.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's a great offer 100up, thank you very much Sah!

All I have to do now is work out how to PM you(I must of used PM's before as I think I on one occasion contacted my trusty friend Nev using one iirc?)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently IM's are only for subscribed members 100up, but if it's ok I'll stick my name and address her on the forum, if that's ok?;)

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
I don't think PMs are restricted to subscribed members. I tried to PM you and couldn't. But Wokie is OK and is not a club member. Suspect it may be something in your profile preferences. In the meantime I have started the download and media creation. It will take some time but will hopefully go smoothly.

Reactions: zulu ferret

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Microsoft is pushing out the download
to everyone via Windows Update, so it
should turn up for you, ZF.

Not worth paying for, and not sure of
the benefit to users, but Microsoft will
want to retire older Windows versions
to cut costs. ;)

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
I get the feeling the download was failing Tata. Anyway I have a USB stick prepared with the installation media ready to send.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If you are having problems, it's always going to be better using a USB or a DVD so you can try things several times without needing to download it each time.

I had a couple of issues with one of my PCs where the upgrade always failed. If the problem isn't with the download, it will still fail using a USB.

If it fails again, you need to make a note of the error code so you can search for a possible answer on the Internet. Somebody, somewhere has usually come across it before.

With mine, I got one error and fixed it by deleting some files after searching for the error. When I tried it again I got a different error which was then fixed by disabling a wireless card and now it's worked.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
USB drive with Windows 10 installation media is in the post and on the way to you ZF. I hope it works this time.

Please be sure to back up your data before attempting the upgrade.

I think it will also prudent to make a note of your Windows Product Key. Just in case something goes wrong.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My apologies guys for being AWOL:D for a few days. but I just got completely 'wanged' up unscunflashcon style, trying to sort this dopey computer out. :(:

In the end I think I have managed to clear loads of confusing rubbish out, mainly by deleting a user account and all that it contained. :cry:

So now I believeI have fixed the problems with Windows 7, but I'm not totally sure about that? :rolleyes:

I have to admit I got so frustrated with trying this and that eventually I just gave up, saying to the wife this computing 'thingie' is way beyond my old comprehension, and I've really just lost all interest in it. :(:

She told me to go for a ride on my bike to clear my head which I did, and now I feel much better, but I'm making sure that I'll not burn any more midnight oil if the blinkin' thing goes haywire again,.... I'll be curtains for this here Tosh and I will get something else to replace it at sometime or other, maybe?

Rant over! :lol:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back on track for who knows how long, but I have spent many an hour burning that candle I can tell you! :(:

I think all of my problems have transcended from initially trying to down load the there Widows 10, but.... the day before yesterday what I thought was a completed jobbie' the computer then decided to go...........
tons of bosoms up haywire, as I got hacked by what I can only presume was an Asian site,which completely took over my Tosh!:furious:

Worst part was I could not read Mandarin or whatever lingo it was? :mad:

Never been messed up so dramatically before in all the years I have been trying to use various computers.

The missus has given me direct orders,that if I have any more problems I must go out and get a Mac of some description at her expense? :thumbup:

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
What anti virus are you running ZF?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Stop running your computer logged in as an admin if you are, that way you'll habe a far more pleasant experience

Create a standard account for using the computer, admin account for making changes. This isolates any malware to the standard user profile as long as you have uac settings set correctly.

Reactions: zulu ferret

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GD, Well I was relying on Microsoft Windows Essential which has been pretty good for a fair old time now, but I reckon it was my own stupid mistake that caused the major crash/attack by clicking on what appeared to a genuine Microsoft Programme,....:(: Enter the Red Army or whatever it was?

Any way so far so good as you can see working once more on W7, and I have downloaded another firewall and another anti-virus/malware programme. :):

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Doesn't windows 7 provide all those services.

Haven't used windows seriously since XP, but didnt that have Defender which I thought did all the cleaning.

I'm sure W7 would have something similar.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mirosoft Security essentials for 7, Defender for XP, and yet again Defender for10 so they say?

Defender download is unresponsive when attempting to download using 7 iirc?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mirosoft Security essentials for 7, Defender for XP, and yet again Defender for10 so they say?

Defender download is unresponsive when attempting to download using 7 iirc?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts