Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, looking at 4 new tyres on my GT 1.9 - 18" wheels. I have Goodyear Eagles currently.

Any advice on what the best tyres are for me would be appreciated. Been happy enough with the GoodYears, but curious to see what more experienced GT owners think...

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Eagle F1's are highly rated in these parts as a Premium choice... I hear good thing about Nexen N8000's too as a high-performing mid range choice..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eagle F1's are highly rated in these parts as a Premium choice... I hear good thing about Nexen N8000's too as a high-performing mid range choice..
Great - that's what I have at the moment and if they're rated I might just stick with them. They seem good to me.

V

·
0 Posts
For all-round performance and value for money you'd be hard-pressed to beat a set of Dunlop Sportmaxx RT. Excellent tyres in all conditions. Sadly, the only drawback is that the rim protector is minimal, so the money you save from fitting them might be easily swallowed up by an alloy refurb.

If you happen to have a Costco card then a set of Michelin Pilot Sports (or whatever the current incarnation is) can be had for a very reasonable price. Performance-wise they would probably impress, along with the legendary Michelin longevity.

I've had Bridgestone Potenzas in the past too, they're a very nice tyre.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1Assymetric 2's are the best tyres I have on my GT (on 18's). It had Pirelli P-zero's when I got it which were awful. I then ran the Goodyears which were really good. I stupidly then went for Michelin PS3's as they are pretty highly rated on here, but have found them noisy and hard riding, but they are wearing well...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Which tyre has the best rim protection? I have 18" with michelin pilot sports atm, going to need to replace at least 1 soon!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Funny, I find my Pilot sport 3's to be very comfortable and not particularly noisy.I agree that P Zero's are not good, in fact chassis shuddering.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
The Goodyears have better protection than the PS3's. The Pirelli's had no protection at all.
I found that out to my cost, a wheel refurb coming up when I change the tyres back to Asymmetric 2's. :depressed:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm really finding it hard to look after my rims - brand new grey 18's, they're beautiful but despite best efforts already have a couple of dings on them....any advice or is it just about being careful and avoiding those potholes??

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Another shout for the GoodYear Eagle F1 Asy. 2 tyres. They have treated me well on all the cars I have used them on. Good grip in the dry, with predictable and progressive break-away when testing the limits. Great grip in the wet, and also never had them break grip suddenly in the wet.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1Assymetric 2's are the best tyres I have on my GT (on 18's). It had Pirelli P-zero's when I got it which were awful. I then ran the Goodyears which were really good. I stupidly then went for Michelin PS3's as they are pretty highly rated on here, but have found them noisy and hard riding, but they are wearing well...
I've got the Michelin PS3's on my car at the moment and agree that they are noisy and hard riding (had to lower the pressures from the recommended 34 to 32 psi)
I did have a 156 from new that had the steel wheels fitted, so later when I purchased a set of alloys I put Michelin's on as they were sponsoring the Alfa touring car effort at the time. I hated them tyres (noisy and poor wet grip), so I vowed never to fit Michelins again.
Of course things move on and if you want an everyday road tyre to serve you well on the track as well, then I'm sure the PS3's are quite good.
I will be fitting Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's when mine wear out.

Reactions: Chris M

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great thanks all - looks like the GY Eagle's are general consensus. I think I'll stick! :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts