Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We woke up this morning and we thought it was pretty cold.

Tried to turn on the heating and nothing..

The boiler was coming up with a fault code anjd wouldn't reset so we called the landlord. It turns out the ignitor is knackered and they can't get a new one for 2 days.

Why is it the boiler has to stop on the coldest night of the year? It could pack up in summer whilst we are running hot water could it.

The good news is we have some electric heaters, however they are not exactly cheap to run. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
gutted for you (happened to us a couple of winters ago :() ... think of the positive though, at least you don't have to pay for the repair :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
That's not good in this brass monkey's weather :(

·
Premium Member
42,812 Posts
sorry to hear that news lad.... not good at all :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are a bit dubious about leaving an electric heater running all night.

We have a halogen heater and a fan heater. We are not going to run it flat out, just enough to stop us freezing.

Which one shall I leave on?

·
0 Posts
None - wear six jumpers & 4 pairs of socks :p

Sorry it's kaput on you mate :(

·
Super Moderator
44,759 Posts
Very bad timing.
According to the thingy on my computer, it's -14 outside here now. :eek:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
sorry to hear that symon, these things have a habit of happening at the worst possible times :( luckily our boiler gave up the ghost in september (i think) last year when we didn't need the heating on, but what a ball ache having no hot water.

i wouldn't worry about using electric heaters for the sake of a couple of days - it might add a fiver to your leccy bill but in the current freeze it's worth it :thumbs:

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Guys. We only have a very small place so I was thinking of leaving the halogen heater on low in the sitting room with the doors open.

It is more to stop the pipes freezing than anything else as the insulation isn't great.

I'll just make sure the smoke alarm is working just in case..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
what a bummer! I had a manifold go under a floor mid winter once it was old and they could not get a part in the end it was cut out and pipes changed, we were without heat or hot water for 2 weeks we boiled pans on the stove and took turns siting in the bath with the other one pouring water to take a "shower"

·
Registered
764 Posts
What is it with boilers always packing in when the weather gets bad? Anyway news reports say we're running out of gas (having sold it all to Europe because we overproduce in the summer but have nowhere to store it), so it won't matter anyway. :(

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
@anthony, that's what i did in september - the kids got sent round the in-laws for a bath but i just boiled endless kettles and 4 massive pans on the cooker so i could have a warm bath. massive PITA. i can't begin to describe the joy of getting the power shower back :cool:

our old boiler used to play up on a regular basis, but always at the most awkward time, like late on a sunday night, or christmas eve, or at breakfast time just before we get ready for work and get the kids ready for school. barsteward bloody machines :mad:

·
Registered
37,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is it with boilers always packing in when the weather gets bad? Anyway news reports say we're running out of gas (having sold it all to Europe because we overproduce in the summer but have nowhere to store it), so it won't matter anyway. :(
We don't use mains gas. We are in one of those area's that time forgot and have to rely on bottled propane.

We have 2 full ones which should last about 6 weeks if we are lucky.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Mine just packed in this morning, there was water leaking from it so turned it off opened it up and found the source of the problem, the condensation trap is leaking. I then turned it on to see the severity of the leak and it would not ignite it just displayed fault codes F1 AND F5. So now i have no heating or hot water and a 3 week old baby. Good thing is i called British Gas and they are coming out tomorrow.

Bloody boilers and cold weather dont mix, its amazing how much you miss them when you need them.

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Mine just packed in this morning, there was water leaking from it so turned it off opened it up and found the source of the problem, the condensation trap is leaking. I then turned it on to see the severity of the leak and it would not ignite it just displayed fault codes F1 AND F5. So now i have no heating or hot water and a 3 week old baby. Good thing is i called British Gas and they are coming out tomorrow.

Bloody boilers and cold weather dont mix, its amazing how much you miss them when you need them.
About 3 hours ago, ours did pretty much exactly what you describe here - it was only installed 5 months ago so to say I'm right-royally pee'd off doesn't even get close. The old boiler worked faultlessly for 15 years until a seal blew and a replacement couldn't be sourced but its £3k ultra-modern all-singing, all-dancing replacement packs in already, :rant:.

Phoned Scottish Gas but it might be Monday before they can get to us! Looking through the literature that the installer left, I noticed that one of the things that the F1 fault code could signify is a blocked condensate drain, which would also explain the small leak from underneath the boiler. Upon closer inspection of the pipework, I've worked out why. The installation is a complete male-domesticated-fowl up.

The boiler is out in the garage and therefore was always going to be working in a cold environment so why has the idiot taken the drain pipe straight through the wall to the outside then run it across the width of the garage to reach the down-pipe from the guttering? :confused: :mad:. By its very nature, the high fuel efficiency of a condensing boiler means that the waste water (condensate) from the burning process is going to be at a low temperature, barely luke-warm in fact. So the flipping uninsulated 6-foot length of plastic drain pipe was frozen solid!!!

I've just spent half an hour ferrying out kettle after kettle of boiling water and eventually succeeded in clearing the pipe, which I have now wrapped in as much insulating material as I could lay my hands on. Pressed the reset button and after about 5 minutes of churning and gurgling, the boiler finally fired-up again and we have heat. Result. :thumbs:

Looking forward to 'discussing' the installation with Scottish Gas Customer Care on Monday.

Good Luck with yours, Symon and Mikey.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Good job with your boiler:thumbs:

I dont want to mess around to much with mine incase British Gas get funny saying i made it worse. Mine is leaking from the seal where 2 drop pipes enter the condensation trap, so i would suspect the seal around them or a blocked pipe, i doubt mine is frozen as its in the kitchen and has been used alot latley. Its the fact it wont ignite that has made it worse. Dam thing.

Mine is a Glow Worm and about 2-3 years old.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
@anthony, that's what i did in september - the kids got sent round the in-laws for a bath but i just boiled endless kettles and 4 massive pans on the cooker so i could have a warm bath. massive PITA. i can't begin to describe the joy of getting the power shower back :cool:

our old boiler used to play up on a regular basis, but always at the most awkward time, like late on a sunday night, or christmas eve, or at breakfast time just before we get ready for work and get the kids ready for school. barsteward bloody machines :mad:
Should have gone and bought a battery powered Camping Shower . These work out of a bucket. I used a Large Kitchen bin for the water source. That way you do not need a lot of hot water.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Wish i would of posted on here and followed the advice of RomeoRaider before i called British Gas out. It was indeed a frozen pipe. :cry: The engineer did say that every job bar 1 he has done today has been frozen pipes.

O well lesson learnt, the main thing is i have heating and hot water again. I hope you get your sorted soon Symon its not nice having no heating or hot water.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts