Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much as the title says, I have finally found my GTV V6. I bought Alfa_Wurzel's lovely Sargassi Green car. The colour is growing on me, I must admit it was never my favourite but the overall condition of the car made up for it. With just over 60k on it I am happy as larry and can't wait to get my hands dirty tinkering.

I also came away with his 2.0 Twinspark. A deal was there to be done on the car I was driving so I've gone from having no Alfas to 2 GTVs. What am I going to do with the twinspark? Well... I have no idea at the moment.

Needless to say my first drive in the V6 tonight was fantastic. I have fallen in love! Anyone else think the 5 speed box is more suited to the car than the 6 speed? Having driven both my vote is for the 5 speed.

Thanks to everyone who gave me pointers and ideas throughout my hunt, I look forward to joining the Alfa community.

Dan

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Well done, I bet Wurzel's glad they've gone to a forum member.:thumbup:

I did like the TS.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Good story with a happy ending. I thought they both looked pretty good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure what to do with the TS, I may just sell it on or my Dad may use it as a runabout. It's got a curious 1st gear synchro crunch which is a bit of a pain but other than that drives lovely.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My TS crunches when going into 2 when its cold but is fine as soon as slightly warm.
It needs a job doing but all last summer was fine and i'm expecting the same this one coming.
Let it warm up and change slowly and delay a big bill!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Id definitely look at the idea of giving it to your dad.

Id love if my dad would have the interest in a gtv, or an older car like a jag xj8. Id buy him one in the morning if he did

Running one gtv is expensive. Running two is going to be a challenge, especially when they're both the same car, aside from the handling of the ts and the power and giddy feeling of the v6.

Lots of son and father bonding time can be had by giving him the use of the ts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey!

Yeah it was a crazy day, but I think it all worked out well in the end.

I'm glad you like the V6, its a really nice car and it was very hard to let it go..... but I'm really pleased its gone to a good forum member.

Keep the TS. either for you or your Dad. That TS is just as much a bargain as the V6 in its on way, and is such a nice companion to the V6 for a different sort of drive...... I was so impressed I kept it also!

I'll be in touch soon to get your rim back, and well done. I'm actually pretty pleased with our deal :biglaugh: and glad both those lovely cars have gone to a good keeper who will look after and appreciate them...esp the V6. Over 3.5k its magic.....one of the best driving experiences ever for me was being lost without a care in the world driving through sunken roads in the Breacons on a crisp winters morning with the windows down and the Busso roaring. A magic car that one - look after it and it will be as faithful as a Labrador.

After swearing my wife did see the funny side that I sold two cars but bought another one! :paranoid:

BTW - that 'crunch' REALLY annoyed at first BUT its not detrimental, and you get used to it really quickly.... just shift sequentially and don't drop into 1st when the car is moving and its fine, after a week I was so used to it that it never 'crunched'

Cheers
D

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I think a weak 1st gear synchro is a common problem. Mine is the same and the car has had a genuine Alfa replacement gearbox at some point according to a metal tag attached to it. I just avoid changing down while moving.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I spoke to Duncan about it when I first got the car - its really not worth the bother IMHO. The rest of the box is really good, and will live as long as the car does.

It really bugged me at first, but all you have to do is not drop into first when the car is moving and its never a problem and soon got used to.

Trust me - give it two weeks and it wont bother you.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I spoke to Duncan about it when I first got the car - its really not worth the bother IMHO. The rest of the box is really good, and will live as long as the car does.

It really bugged me at first, but all you have to do is not drop into first when the car is moving and its never a problem and soon got used to.

Trust me - give it two weeks and it wont bother you.
Indeed, I never engage 1st gear while moving, in any of my cars, and neither does Selespeed or Dualogic (those systems always wait until the car is stationary before dropping into 1st).

One piece of info that we haven't been told in this thread - what car did you get in the deal? Hope it was something practical (surely not a Mini?!) ;)

-Alex

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hah ha.

No it was even less practical - but more useful to me.....

Mx5 1.8

I got rid of the TS as it was all or nothing for me Alfa wise - it was either the V6 and TS or none at all, I'll come back to Alfa's at a later date (3-4 years likely for a quality 2nd hand Giulia when I've got a bit more £).

The Mx5 is a good call for more, its like a refined version of my MG Midget I sold a few months ago, I have a company Vauxhall Astra to ferry the kids about in and for long drives and the MX5 for commuting and just driving me about....I really like it, not hard to see why they sold millions.

The only thing that gets me is every time I get in it, I think how badly the British car industry screwed up no to have dome similar with a modern Midget/Spitfire in the 90's....

I didn't have to let the V6/TS go, but I had a load of house repairs to do, and it just seemed negligent to use my reserve of cash, or use credit when I had a collection of cars sat outside not really being used enough....if I was single I wouldn't care but with a wife and two kids the answer was obvious (no jokes please :devious:)

I loved my Alfa adventure and shall return at some point.

D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The MX5 is a great little car, and am glad you took it on. With the hard top and soft top it makes for a much more usable all-year-round car. My housemate has an MX5 with just a soft top and was begging me to sell him the hard top off the car before it went.

Gave the V6 engine bay a bit of a clean up yesterday, she look lovely. Next job is to fit the stainless exhaust off the 2.0 to the V6. Went through a tunnel yesterday and it's way too quiet! I think the exhaust on the 2.0 just deletes the last silencer which will be perfect. Will get some photos up when the car is cleaned and polished

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Engine covers look very nice and a big fan of the "Ferrari" look red/silver... You just need a new coolant tank to complete the look, if you can still get them these days??

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's on the list for future bits. Going to get it mechanically up together first, a few issues have raised their head. Nothing too bad though, just some extra maintenance

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
It's on the list for future bits. Going to get it mechanically up together first, a few issues have raised their head. Nothing too bad though, just some extra maintenance
Yep - there is always something to do. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to having all the suspension replaced on my V6 next month - everything new / powder coated and powerflexed with a Koni setup, will make it pin sharp. Bit of an investment outlay, but will be worth it.

It's very easy to do a Grand every year! :lol: (and some) :lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep - there is always something to do. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to having all the suspension replaced on my V6 next month - everything new / powder coated and powerflexed with a Koni setup, will make it pin sharp. Bit of an investment outlay, but will be worth it.

It's very easy to do a Grand every year! :lol: (and some) :lol:
It's in desperate need of tracking, thermostat is stuck open (50deg on motorway) and just a few other bits need sorting. Joy of Italian motoring!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
MiniManDan118;14402937 It's in desperate need of tracking said:
Thermostat is a quick/cheap fix and will avoid a heap of trouble!! Getting that done on mine as well... As you say, the Joys!!

But seeing as these cars are pushing 20 years old, it's to be expected for doing the fixes and complete overhaul...

Give it another 10 years on values and might break even :lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thermostat is a quick/cheap fix and will avoid a heap of trouble!! Getting that done on mine as well... As you say, the Joys!!

But seeing as these cars are pushing 20 years old, it's to be expected for doing the fixes and complete overhaul...

Give it another 10 years on values and might break even :lol:
Yeah, none of it are big jobs just things that need to be right for me to be happy with it. Air intake hose is split which is sending the MAF in to a wobbly so in need of one of them ASAP. Don't really want to go down the silicone route, I think it looks a bit tacky. Maybe black silicone if I really have to.

EDIT Autolusso have a replacement, £70 but got to bite the bullet. Do it once and do it right.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts