Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently “up to 90% of current staff at Channel 4 would rather take redundancy than move to Leeds, as the broadcaster prepares to relocate to its new national HQ. The Guardian reports the number of staff seeking redundancy payments over leaving the capital runs at more than 80% in some department. Around 300 of Channel 4’s 800 roles are expected to be moved out of the capital this year. The relocation is expected to cost the broadcaster more than £50m.”

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Apparently “up to 90% of current staff at Channel 4 would rather take redundancy than move to Leeds, as the broadcaster prepares to relocate to its new national HQ. The Guardian reports the number of staff seeking redundancy payments over leaving the capital runs at more than 80% in some department. Around 300 of Channel 4’s 800 roles are expected to be moved out of the capital this year. The relocation is expected to cost the broadcaster more than £50m.”
It's in Yorkshire...

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
It's in Yorkshire...
Could be worse, it could be in.......?

Why would you want to move 200 miles and relocate? I don’t blame them.

I would imagine their families, their lives and homes are well rooted in the south.

I found it quite strange that they would take over an old nightclub smack in the centre of the city, where the Leeds Utd players used to misbehave without censor, instead of one of the many indest well served by the inner and outer ring roads.

Maybe some “thick brown envelopes” have changed hands.

·
Administrator
45,640 Posts
I worked for AstraZeneca when they decided to relocate from Macclesfield to Cambridge. They were expecting 40% to relocate with them, and reality was a lot, lot less.

I left AZ 3 years ago, and they still haven't even finished building the new office - everyone down there is in temporary offices still.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Surprising Channel 4 didn't go to Salford to join the media "cluster" there. People would be more likely to relocate to a place where they knew there were alternative employers. Going to Leeds means committing long term to an organisation which may not be entirely secure, given the churn in the broadcasting industry at present. And from C4's point of view, they're going to struggle to recruit experienced staff in Leeds.

·
Registered
34,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to a journalist friend, the move to Salford was to get them away from the “Westminster Village” where just hanging around would get news from politicians who just couldn’t keep resist blabbing to somebody.

·
Premium Member
77,379 Posts
You just have to look at John Pienaar, and know that he loves the association. He used to (dunno if he still does) played Snog, Marry Avoid with MPs on his Sunday politics show on R5Live.

the man is a kok

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
....they're going to struggle to recruit experienced staff in Leeds.
How’s that? :confused:

We have the BBC well represented in Leeds, a main broadcasting office about 500 yards from the Channel 4 building. ITV Yorkshire on Kirkstall Road, that’s where the old Yorkshire TV studios were, Emmerdale Farm, Calendar are/were filmed.

We have several radio stations BBC Leeds, Radio Aire and others. Leeds even has it own TV channel, https://www.leedslocal.tv/ and vibrant theatre scene that produces for television, Leeds Playhouse, Leeds Grand theatre and who can forget The City Varieties Music Hall?

I rest my case for the defence M’Lud. ;)

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
s'only 40 miles
But you did everything you could to avoid the M62 according to your other post so would you want to commute, daily, from West Yorkshire to Salford? I wouldn't.

As V says employers forget that relocation doesn't just involve the employee but their families as well. If husband and wife both work then, in the short term at least, one is going to have to give up their job. If this is the employee then redundancy is due, if it is the spouse then there is no recompense. Add in that children may be approaching the GCSE/Alevel age and the family will not want to disrupt their schooling it is not surprising that very few will accept relocation wherever the future location is to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts