Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,182 Posts
The 166 lenses are glass, I think this only works for plastic lenses.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'd be very wary of trying this. Plastic lenses are often coated. Once you've gone through te coating layer, the plastic lens itself is likely to be less scratch resistant, so you'll then be committed to doing it again and again periodically. Of course, if the headlight needs it doing, the only alternative is another headlight (or lens if you cna just get the lens), so if you're not going to keep the car much longer, I guess it makes sense.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I did use the Wolfgang Plastic Lens Kit ordered from motorgeek.co.uk a few years ago for my BMW e46 headlights. Although there was an improvement noticable I had to change the lenses altogether as the old ones were too far gone. If there is moderate cloudiness it it will work. If the damage is severe you will be dissapointed with the results.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
There was a link to instructions from 156s & I tried this with my old Skoda headlights which were glass, and it didn't come out that great plus there are microscratches everywhere, and I followed it to the instructions, so be wary

·
Registered
237 Posts
The headlights on my facelifted 166 are indeed plastic and i gave mine a bit of a t-cut a bit ago and they cleaned up fine ,but they wernt too faded .
Also i have heard that new 166 facelift headlights with the xenons which they all were in the uk are around £700 each ! is this right ?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
What you need is Polly Watch, its used for removing light scratches from plexi glassed watches.

Also a very very fine sandpaper might also work - I pitted my thumb nail once (lack of iron) just sanded it down, looked better then the rest and was super smoooth. You can also buy sand paper to glass - my friend removed fine scratches from his w/screen

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think that the dutch thread links to some kind of plastic sealant.. mercs and other mid late 90's cars have the same problem, hence lots of products and kits out to sort the issue, one plus much less chance of a broken headlight but there are obviously minuses... such is life!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts