Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I am a Wetherspoons addict! wherever we go, we always look for a wetherspoons for lunch/eve meal. Prices good on guest ales and food ok.
Even the "Lord moon on the Mall" on Whitehall (just up from Horseguards parade) has the same menu as most of the provincials, whilst the sandwich bars in the area will flog you a sarnie and a drink in the West end for mucho dinero, Wetherspoons is consistent in their pricing.
Any other Wetherspoon fanatics out there?
Oh, and don't give me all this ******** about how they are killing the local Pubs blah blah blah. They only have themselves/Breweries to blame.
They recently converted the old corn exchange in Bury st Edmunds and made a fantastic job of it. (it's huge and sometimes you can't even get a table).Their business model is bang on!.............or.......maybe you disagree?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Think they are brill. I'm a real ale fan - a few years back 'spoons got (completely unfounded IMHO) criticism for buying beer at 'sell by date'. Bllx. Their standards of stock rotation/keeping a good pint are the standard others aspire to. Staff are well trained and friendly. I won't say you CAN'T get better food elsewhere - but I can say you won't get better value for money elsewhere.

My only concern is that one day Tim Martin (founder) will sell up and the chain be bought by some faceless corporation.

Curry nights (Thurs) are the biggest curry house in the world (so they claim).

·
Registered
620 Posts
They are great, no doubt. We've got one in Melton, fifteen mins walk from my house. Great guest ales all the time, plus, as said above, the food aint too bad and is VERY reasonably priced.

My only quibble with 'Spoons is that it gets VERY busy at times.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
There are two types of Wetherspoons I've found. There's the kind where you go in with your kids, have a reasonably priced meal, a few drinks, then go on your way satisfied. Then there's the other kind, where the dregs of society while away their afternoons and benefits whilst sporting knock-off sportswear and badly spelled tattoos.

I like the first sort best. There's a lovely one in Perth called the Capital Asset. Chester has one of each kind; the good one is on a side street off the main street.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
I likes 'em :thumbs:

Have read some 'snobbery' on here about them though...

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Both of the Wetherspoons Pubs we have here, are full of " **** Heads " who never seem to go home, and its quite intimidating walking past them sometimes, with lots of drunken idiots outside, shouting abuse at people, and that is mainly in the Mornings, and Afternoons, which is scary.......:rant:

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
There are two types of Wetherspoons I've found. There's the kind where you go in with your kids, have a reasonably priced meal, a few drinks, then go on your way satisfied. Then there's the other kind, where the dregs of society while away their afternoons and benefits whilst sporting knock-off sportswear and badly spelled tattoos.

Totally agree with you there, sadly we have only got second type you mention there.......:(

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both of the Wetherspoons Pubs we have here, are full of " **** Heads " who never seem to go home, and its quite intimidating walking past them sometimes, with lots of drunken idiots outside, shouting abuse at people, and that is mainly in the Mornings, and Afternoons, which is scary.......:rant:
I have to say that I have been to many many of their outlets in the UK, and never experienced any kind of that behaviour either outside or in. Some have door staff, but never any trouble. Is it a Welsh thing?

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
I have to say that I have been to many many of their outlets in the UK, and never experienced any kind of that behaviour either outside or in. Some have door staff, but never any trouble. Is it a Welsh thing?
Not really sure, as I haven't visited any other Wetherspoon outlets in the U.K. mainly because of the people that I see in the ones down here. They certainly don't have Door Staff, well not in the Mornings or Afternoons.......

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
If you ever find yourself in Middleton. Go in the one there; it's a real eye-opener.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not really sure, as I haven't visited any other Wetherspoon outlets in the U.K. mainly because of the people that I see in the ones down here. They certainly don't have Door Staff, well not in the Mornings or Afternoons.......
Well here is my tip...If you ever go to London on a jolly and visit the usual suspects in the west end.
Stay away from all the sub standard rip off pubs/eateries and just walk along to the Lord Moon on the Mall between Horseguards parade and Trafalgar sq.
There you will find a busy but pleasantly priced menu, with affordable guest ales.
Just don't ask for steak...Apparently, due to their situation on the mall and close proximity to important buildings, they are unable to channel the smoke from the grill away from these buildings and therefore not allowed to do em. Excellent London value though!
Presumably, the smell of flame grilled steak wafting through number 10 Downing st, may make em all hungry.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Frequently use the one on Victoria Station as a convenient meeting point when on a night out in Town with my mates. 3 or 4 cheap pints later we usually move on somewhere else. It is good value.

As said there are generally two types but occasionally a third such as that at Victoria. Not a family place really but nor do you get the benefit crowd.
In Manchester centre there are two to my knowledge - the one on Piccadilly is a bit benefit but the other (near Town Hall) is more like the one at Victoria

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Highly variable I've found.

The Commercial Rooms in Bristol is absolutely lovely.

The William Morris in Hammersmith on the other hand is not lovely, and always seems to have some unwell looking people clustered in various bits of the pub (including at least one of the exits), all day long regardless of day of the week. I suspect these are unemployed alcoholics which maybe judgemental of me (they COULD be jet-lagged independently wealthy people looking for investment opportunities... theoretically). Doesn't exactly make for comfortable drinking conditions... makes me want to not go in and drink but rather go back to work. That's not a good feeling.

So yeah maybe I'm being snobby but... ****** that, I'm not drinking in the Hammersmith one. Nor the sh*tty non-Wetherspoons pub on the corner next to it...

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Nope. When staying in Southampton for work last year, I had breakfast most mornings at a weather spoons. Always interesting viewing. Best was the family having breakfast next to me on a weekday all with pint in hand witheir full fry up (looked like 3 generations with youngest being a baby). Same guys in there each morning at 9am for their pick me up for the day, then when walking back past in the evening it was always a bit "lively". Mind you that whole road in Southampton was pretty lively in the evenings.

Very good value mind and food OK.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Some dud ones, but generally good quality beer, good value food, no erzatz music, no games machines.....what's not to like.

Only problem is the nearest one to me is in Burnley and its one of the duds.....or at least its clientele are.......

So I've never used the Weatherspoon vouchers that came with my Camra renewal.....:)

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Used to find me and the Mrs about 8 years ago in the dodgy one in Chester on a Sunday afternoon quite often. Go in after an afternoon shopping, have a quick drink before heading home, well I say a quick drink, used to turn into 2 bottles of plonk and at least one Tex Mex platter, stopped going when they changed the menu, (I think that wass the reason, although the doctor did say something about my liver)
The food is always edible, but you know it was just heated in the oven and not lovingly prepared by a team of Michelin chefs

1 - 20 of 30 Posts