Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a saturated front passenger footwell current, really disappointing as she covered over 600 miles without any real issues and I was in great comfort and not tired at either end.

So I removed the scuttle to check drain hole into engine bay, area was free of water and the hole clear. I removed it and gave a wipe before refitting everything.

Next I removed sill cover to lift carpet / sound deadening to allow to dry.

Am I now in search of a heater / air con leak?

thanks

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
All I can think of if what you've checked - drain under the scuttle. But we have had a lot of rain recently, did you check it using a hose pipe?

Heater matrix leaks are (fortunately) rare if not unheard of as yet.

Does it have a sunroof and are the windows working properly? One other thing to consider is if you press and hold unlock / lock, the windows will open / shut on the 147 / gt.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I can think of if what you've checked - drain under the scuttle. But we have had a lot of rain recently, did you check it using a hose pipe?

Heater matrix leaks are (fortunately) rare if not unheard of as yet.

Does it have a sunroof and are the windows working properly? One other thing to consider is if you press and hold unlock / lock, the windows will open / shut on the 147 / gt.
And check the floorpan for rot...
Hose pipe check? Is that fill the under scuttle area and watch where it goes?
Decided it is not heater matrix issue as coolant level is as it was, or am I wrong to strike this off?
No sunroof. Window hadn't been open and seals look fine.
Floor pan rot, area looks fine from quick check/prod. The stabilizer bar need a lean and coating of protection though.
It was dry on Sunday as I hoovered both mat and carpet. I am starting to wonder if I upset something when I removed wheel arch liner on Sunday and gave it clean, maybe the rubber bung?

Thanks for input, gives me checks for tomorrow

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
My first 156 GTA suffered from a soaking wet passenger footwell. It turned out to be an aircon drain coming into the cabin rather than out of the bulkhead. It was a dash out job (under warranty) to fix it..

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
In my case it was caused by bad sealing of the moisture barrier sheet, behind the doorpanel. Specifically the area around the speakers.
After replacing this with a thick plastig sheet, and making sure the area behind speakers etc was covered with a plastic flap, no more problems....

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Mine was caused by a leak on the top of the passenger side screen leaking into the front A panel trim and running down behind the dash. was a nightmare to find as i thought it was leaking from behind the dash and was blaming everything under the bonnet. wasn't until i stripped a lot more out did i find the leak from the screen corner

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is not wholly reassuring, I had hope for a "oh that will be ......... just do this ......." But it seems like I could have the entire car apart searching.

First things first the car is inside and I have a dehumidifier pack in to help dry things out

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Hose pipe test is where you remove everything loose from the car and get inside (in this case with your head down in the passengers footwell). Then get someone to spray water all over the car and you try and spot where it's getting in. Can be great fun.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
In my case it was caused by bad sealing of the moisture barrier sheet, behind the doorpanel. Specifically the area around the speakers.
After replacing this with a thick plastig sheet, and making sure the area behind speakers etc was covered with a plastic flap, no more problems....
I had the same issue, new plastic door diaphragm solved the issue.

·
Registered
2012 MiTo 1.4TBi, Past 2010 Giulietta 2.0 170 Veloce, Past GTV 2.0 TS Lusso
111 Posts
If the heater fan motor is the same as the 156, which I think it is , they can allow water to go down the central shaft and leak onto the passenger floor. It did on mine.
Basically water collects in the scuttle and finds its way anywhere. Worth checking to see if the fan unit is wet, it is up under the dash, but easy to feel. Cheap £50 fix and very easy.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hose pipe test is where you remove everything loose from the car and get inside (in this case with your head down in the passengers footwell). Then get someone to spray water all over the car and you try and spot where it's getting in. Can be great fun.
after posting the question it occurred to me it was likely this rather than something more technical.

dont think i need to curl into the footwell as it appears to be Aircon related. floor and carpet had dried out over weekend whilst in garage and I had removed the underlay (ruined and replacement needed). drove to work in dry overhead and road conditions but on arrival the carpet had a wet section again. Aircon had been running. I have switched it off and have no further wet carpets on subsequent drives.

I have searched and found reference to aircon drain pipes not being long enough but cant see how this just occurred after 6 years of ownership so I guess something has failed (split/cracked). I will run without A/C until i have the window to remove sufficient dash to see what it is.
any tips on this job?
will take the opportunity to get the drivers seat padding refurbed I think

·
Registered
151 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts