Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After yesterdays biblical downpour my passenger foot well is very wet. Before I start taking the car apart is there anywhere I should check first?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Passenger side door/window seals. Usually the culprit of wet footwell carpets.

Definitely take a good look at the top window seal on the passenger side, but also look at the seals on the B-pillar, and underside of the door.

I wouldn't be too worried if I was you. I am pretty confident that it is likely just a seal that is the culprit. Its amazing how much water can get in from a few tiny tears in a door/window seal during a decent amount of rain. I lived in the tropics in northern Australia, and let me tell you; when you get 100mm of rain in just under an hour......you find out pretty quickly what condition your window/door seals are in :cheese:

But definitely take a good look at the seals on the passenger side. Might even be worth testing them by using a garden hose to spray water over the area for a minute or so and see if you can see any visible water (after drying the area beforehand ofc). If you have some, then likely just a seal!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Passenger side door/window seals. Usually the culprit of wet footwell carpets.

Definitely take a good look at the top window seal on the passenger side, but also look at the seals on the B-pillar, and underside of the door.

I wouldn't be too worried if I was you. I am pretty confident that it is likely just a seal that is the culprit. Its amazing how much water can get in from a few tiny tears in a door/window seal during a decent amount of rain. I lived in the tropics in northern Australia, and let me tell you; when you get 100mm of rain in just under an hour......you find out pretty quickly what condition your window/door seals are in :cheese:

But definitely take a good look at the seals on the passenger side. Might even be worth testing them by using a garden hose to spray water over the area for a minute or so and see if you can see any visible water (after drying the area beforehand ofc). If you have some, then likely just a seal!
Thanks mate, I'll give it a look. I know the window doesn't seal at the trailing edge; but the amount of water is way more than could get in through there.

C

·
0 Posts
Same problem on wifes vectra

Have a look at your guttering that runs along the front of your windscreen, where the grill pattern is below your wipers, there should be several tubular drains that guide the water away from this guttering into the front wing areas, these get clogged up with leaves and the water fills up and comes into the car via the pollen filter.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Have a look at your guttering that runs along the front of your windscreen, where the grill pattern is below your wipers, there should be several tubular drains that guide the water away from this guttering into the front wing areas, these get clogged up with leaves and the water fills up and comes into the car via the pollen filter.
Definitely this as well :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Remove the passenger side plastic scuttle cover. Underneath that there is supposed to be a water shield over the heater intake hole. If that isn't there, water will get in.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yep that's more likely the culprit as indeed it was on my Spider,re position the plastic cover,re seal all round it and hopefully sorted.Did mine three years ago,dry as a bone since,happy dayz :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, just the info I was hoping for :) I have to take it all off anyway as I have the juddering intermittent wiper problem too. Time for some running repairs.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Original screen :rolleyes:

I have two large chips in it too, keep waiting for the "inevitable" crack according to Autoglass ad.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Original screen :rolleyes:

I have two large chips in it too, keep waiting for the "inevitable" crack according to Autoglass ad.
I've been waiting for two years. If you do have to replace it be very careful of the big operators. They are only interested in speed and ripping off your insurance company. I always use small independents, as do most main dealers.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It'll be done by whoever the insurance company use when it goes. I'll try to use an Indy if possible, but they'll probably want to use Autoglass.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
It'll be done by whoever the insurance company use when it goes. I'll try to use an Indy if possible, but they'll probably want to use Autoglass.
It hasn't worked like that for me. I just call and ask if he can do a screen for whoever the insurance company might be and it's never been a problem.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've been waiting for two years. If you do have to replace it be very careful of the big operators. They are only interested in speed and ripping off your insurance company. I always use small independents, as do most main dealers.
I work for an insurance company and we use Autoglass as the only preferred supplier. I got an indie to do my windscreen as the thing got cracked by a stone on the night before the MOT they charged £410 which my insurance paid for, after some sweet talking. It went again 6 months later thanks to another stone. Autoglass changed it and it cost £130. That's a big difference. All independent companies now have to get their price approved before we let them change a windscreen.

I know national companies are not always perfect but I have always had good service from Autoglass Basingstoke branch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts