Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Sarel invited me to join him at the GTI club dyno day. First time for me, never attended one before.

My results: 194kW @ 6269rpm, 311Nm @ 5307rpm.:D

Someone from the GTI club asked me to leave my GTV to him in the event that I have an untimely death, and many people were more than a little surprised.

I had a fantastic time, just hanging, chatting, meeting some of the guys (Stig as well, your 156 2.5 V6 is strong!)

My nemesis in the Seat Cupra was there as well, and did 234kW:wow: and 380-odd Nm :thumbs:

We had a good chat. He says he mentioned the K04 turbo in his "what's under the bonnet" speech because many people don't know the cupra comes with it. He was gunning for 230kW but it turned out his latest mods gave him a few more. He doesn't say who made his downpipe, what size his exhaust is (it looked MASSIVE!) or what revo map he's on now, just that he has a map that will give over 400Nm but his gearbox won't last so he decided to run the current one.

Highlights: Meeting new folk, hearing Sarel's car:inlove: and finding out Stig's car gained 10kW over it's 13 year lifespan:thumbs: oh and my results.

Next time I'll deffinitely do this again, I just have to sort out my management light, have a cambelt service done (the car now has 99500km on, 500km before a major service!), remap it for sea level and remove my manifold cats and remember to turn off the aircon when the car is on the dyno!:eek:

Sarel's results were very good too, I'll give him and Stig bragging rights to announce their own results.

Sarel took some pix as well. I'll post more tomorrow as I don't really have time now. For now here's my very first dyno sheet. Next time I'll be hoping for 200wkw!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/151020112004.jpg

·
Registered
476 Posts
I must Admit. For STD GTV's we did not do bad at all. Even Stig's 13 year old 2.5 V6 impressed with 150kw

Mine was 173kw and 275 nm. Not bad for a 10 year old Alfa with 160 000 km on the clock.

Ian's car is a monster. That nm is begging to be unleashed. :thumbs:

Once the GTV's pulled up the people started walking closer. Some of the GTi drivers even asked me where can the find good GTV's :lol::lol: All in All, the event was good. The Alfas Impressed. And thats me included. I did not know what to expect. When me and Ian filled in the Entry forms, they asked what the power is, and we both wrote 150kw and 250nm. :cheese::cheese: So all the extra kw and nm's was a bonus :cheese:

OH, Ian thanks for lending the tow hook. This morning when I opened my kit to get the tow hook out for the very first time, i noticed the the thread part is broken off. :wow::wow:

My GTV behaved very well.

Here are some pics I took.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
My results: 194kW @ 6269rpm, 311Nm @ 5307rpm.
This is brilliant Ian 258 whp(258kW on the crank).

These figures are atypical for Dawie's 3.7 engines on the reef.

Now you got to dot down performance figures the enemy can not argue with.

The 2.5 and 3.0 ltr figures are also way above our reef figures.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Very freakin impressive, guys! Man, I wish I had a GTV!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some more pix:

1200Nm Sierra XR8 Twin Turbo
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/151020111997.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/151020111994.jpg

Fuel supply to the above mentioned car features fuel hoses larger than a Ford Anglia's exhaust and an aircraft fuel pump: :cheese:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/151020111988.jpg

Focus RS, the most potent one around, apparently:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/151020111990.jpg

That very dirty 234kW Seat Leon Cupra with downpipes and software (it sounds absolutely stunning by the way, when it's not sounding like a modded City Golf!):
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/151020112002.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/151020112001.jpg

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
GTV looks hot! Ever thought of going for that murdered blacked out look? Impressive figures Ian congrats :thumbs:

Nice to see some Alfa rep at these kind of events

·
Registered
82 Posts
:wow: Very surprised at all our power figures!

That gives the all the Alfas present a 173kW average... agreed the sample size is a tad small ;) but still a great showing!

My oldie did 150.8kW and 230Nm. That is 4kW more than a stock Golf GTi 6! (although that is quite trivial, as after yesterday I do not believe that there is such a thing as a std GTi 5 or 6 in SA anymore! most of them put 170-200kW down on the dyno :p )

My car is a 1998 156 v6 2.5 with stock std original motor with 170000km, used daily and due for an oil service. Only modification is a Powerflow decat pipe.

Just correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand it, our figures here are for estimated flywheel figures, corrected from the actual wheel readings... and not the wKw that you reef guys normally refer to? If it is wKw then my mind is blown! :eek: How much would that be at the crank then?

Thanks GTA QV for getting the guys together, hope to see more Alfa reps there in future! Was also great to finally meet Ian. Both those black GTVs look stunning!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Looks like flywheel figures, but still impressive.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
FarkingYES!!!! Alfa boys are repesenting at the coast!!!!!I'm getting a GTV next year definately!!!!

That thing is mighty strong at the coast for a 3.2 Busso!!!Congrats!

·
Registered
476 Posts
You must bring me those vids Ian.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I was being a little creative this morning. My phone records MP4 in HD so my two dyno runs ended up being around 360MB. I downloaded Youtube Downloader (it has a video converter) and converted MP4 to WMV and cut and reduced the vids so they're not very good quality.

The very end of Sarel's run. Sorry I only caught these few seconds but listen to that exhaust note!:inlove::thumbs:
AlfaOwner :: 15102011038wmvwmv.mp4 video by emcon1 - Photobucket

My second run:
AlfaOwner :: VE111017002.mp4 video by emcon1 - Photobucket

Seat Cupra K04 with downpipe and Revo-something... 234kW...
AlfaOwner :: 15102011040.mp4 video by emcon1 - Photobucket

·
Registered
82 Posts
Some food for thought. Let's imagine a "virtual dyno day" for our Alfas against similarly aged Porsches :)

My 1998 Alfa 156 v6 2.5L - 150.8kw vs std 1998 Porshce Boxter 2.5L flat 6 - 150kw

gta qv's 2001(?) GTV 3L v6 - 173kw vs 2001 Porsche Boxter 2.7L flat 6 - 162kw

Ian's 2004(?) GTV 3.2L v6 - 194kw vs 2004 Porshce Boxter S 3.2L flat 6 - 191kw

Alfa 3 - Porsche 0 :p

power to weight also close...
The Porshce +- 1420kg
156 v6 - 1350kg
GTV's +- 1450kg

You can get a decent 156 v6 for about R45000... most bang for the buck of any car available in SA by far! What do you think? :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
So Sarel invited me to join him at the GTI club dyno day. First time for me, never attended one before.

My results: 194kW @ 6269rpm, 311Nm @ 5307rpm.:D

Someone from the GTI club asked me to leave my GTV to him in the event that I have an untimely death, and many people were more than a little surprised.

I had a fantastic time, just hanging, chatting, meeting some of the guys (Stig as well, your 156 2.5 V6 is strong!)

My nemesis in the Seat Cupra was there as well, and did 234kW:wow: and 380-odd Nm :thumbs:

We had a good chat. He says he mentioned the K04 turbo in his "what's under the bonnet" speech because many people don't know the cupra comes with it. He was gunning for 230kW but it turned out his latest mods gave him a few more. He doesn't say who made his downpipe, what size his exhaust is (it looked MASSIVE!) or what revo map he's on now, just that he has a map that will give over 400Nm but his gearbox won't last so he decided to run the current one.

Highlights: Meeting new folk, hearing Sarel's car:inlove: and finding out Stig's car gained 10kW over it's 13 year lifespan:thumbs: oh and my results.

Next time I'll deffinitely do this again, I just have to sort out my management light, have a cambelt service done (the car now has 99500km on, 500km before a major service!), remap it for sea level and remove my manifold cats and remember to turn off the aircon when the car is on the dyno!:eek:

Sarel's results were very good too, I'll give him and Stig bragging rights to announce their own results.

Sarel took some pix as well. I'll post more tomorrow as I don't really have time now. For now here's my very first dyno sheet. Next time I'll be hoping for 200wkw!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/151020112004.jpg
Firstly very well done on that power figures!
The car looks really strong.
At first I thought this dyno must be seriously over reading, but judging but the figures for the Cupra it doesn't seem to over read to much.
The Cupra sounds like a stage 2+ (read 2 plus) car. Did it have the S3 intercooler and upgraded high pressure fuel pump?
A stage 2 Cupra makes about 205-210wkw up here in Gauteng (not that you'll gain much by going to the coast in a turbo car).
Stage 2+ Cupra's make around 220-240wkw up here.

How does the power figures of the other cars look?

I have always said Alfa underclaim their power figures and everybody used to laugh at me ... :rolleyes:

And then another thing people laugh at me about is when I say that power and torque figures isn't everything, your powerband and where the power lays also makes a significant difference!
Cars that tend to make their power up higher in the rev range tends to be very strong (in the rite hands) in the real world.
Look at how well this 3.2 holds its torque from low down up to well past midrange ...
... where the power take over and doesn't seem to tap off towards the red line.
The reason the graph shows a slight drop at the end is probably due to the throttle being closed right at the end to prevent the car running into its rev limiter at full load.

Is your car at 100 000km without having had a timing belt before or was it done previously? :eek:
I wouldn't take that chance!
My 164's 3.2 sits at around 85 000km since its last timing belt and I don't really want to drive it until I have replaced the timing belt.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DNA, as Stig says most GTi's were doing around 170-200kW and claimed to be stock ( :cheese: ) but the hot ones were around 200-210. This Cupra boosted like a hissing snake, you can hear it in the vid when it starts boosting! :wow:

My car had an engine replacement at around 53000km. It's now on 100000km. I can feel that the plugs need replacement but I'm in two minds: I'll maybe just do an oil service with plugs then do the belts at 11000km (57000km since engine replacement). I want to have the manifolds decatted as well, my exhaust sound is not as crisp as Sarels and I'll do anything to have that sound! :wow:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
My car had an engine replacement at around 53000km. It's now on 100000km. I can feel that the plugs need replacement but I'm in two minds: I'll maybe just do an oil service with plugs then do the belts at 11000km (57000km since engine replacement). I want to have the manifolds decatted as well, my exhaust sound is not as crisp as Sarels and I'll do anything to have that sound! :wow:
Ian do everything now. I lost my cambelt on lower km done than you have now. That is real costly. It is not worth it, you have a great car.

I know your car is seriously modified and excepted the figures are wkW, before I saw the other guys figures. It seem then the dyno is corrected for flywheel power?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Ian do everything now. I lost my cambelt on lower km done than you have now. That is real costly. It is not worth it, you have a great car.

I know your car is seriously modified and excepted the figures are wkW, before I saw the other guys figures. It seem then the dyno is corrected for flywheel power?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Ian I purchased my GT about a year ago with 48k on but it was 4.5 years old so demanded a belt chage, the belt 'looked' ok but the tensioner was finished, so good idea to change reguraly.
Just for fun I never race but the other day I come to a stop at a traffic light and behold there is a golf 6 GTI next to me with a blond beauty next to me, we pull of civilised but then she wants to get in front by changing down ,I just floor it in 3rd she did get in front as I lett off , come to the next stop and this beauty is blushing, priceless.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts